trying to regulate my cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by martha830, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martha830

martha830 New Member

my 9 year old cat blue was diagonised 3 weeks ago and it seems we have not been able to regulate him. He takes 2 units twice a day. he seems to be drinking and urinating less but when i take him to the vet for weekly blood work his levels go up. Is this normal or are we really giving him the shot incorrectly?

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Your best bet would be to get a human glucometer and test your kitty's blood at home. This is less stressful than a trip to the vets office, and less expensive for you. (how much does it cost for your vet to check your kitty's blood glucose?)

Most of us here test every day before every shot. We also do some spot checks at non-shot times to see how the kitty is using the insulin.

What are you feeding your kitty?

3. martha830

martha830 New Member

The vet charges me $30.00 each visit. Currently we are feeding him WD as we have 8 other cats at home and they all eat together so the vet thought this would be the best food to feed him. He is now getting to the point that he hates being stuck by the vets office and lets them know it. which may contribute to the increased levels. How hard is it to test him in when you have multiple cats?

4. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Hi Martha, and welcome!

Blue's numbers are higher at the clinic because of stress, in humans we call it "white coat syndrome" . That's one reason why Phoebe's suggestion you begin testing at home is right on.

Take the time to read our FAQs, the answers you will get to your questions will make much more sense if you have a good overview of FD and its treatment.

I would take that w/d back to the vet for a refund. It's loaded with carbohydrates and made with poor ingredients. You can do better at your local pet store or even the grocery store. The basics of feline nutrition and diabetes are at www.catinfo,org . All your cats will benefit from the information on that site.

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.