Trying to stay calm; Went away for 2 days and Leo ripped open a bag of "Rachel Rae Nutrish"

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LeosGotTheBetus, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeosGotTheBetus

LeosGotTheBetus Member

Hey!
    Thanks to this forum and everyone's incredible advice, back when my Leo was diagnosed with diabetes, he was within remission within 6 months. After over 6 months of me being super proud of him and him showing numbers consistently under 100, (Check my chart it's updated) I had to go away for 2 days. I decided to buy my cats Rachel Rae's Nutrish- it was the purple bag, the one with no grains just chicken turkey and apparently chickpea. I dont know, I didnt research enough and the ingredients are mostly whole ingredients so I took a risk.
    I left some out- they used to graze so I figured he should be alright, but my other cat ripped the bag open and from the looks of it they sat and ate all of it. Today his blood sugar read 239....
    once I believe I read that if a cat slips out of remission, that's it and they're on insulin again forever. Not sure if that was true but my question is... this number isn't through the roof, and he did eat a lot, if I return him to his normal feeding schedule will his numbers settle down? Or does a blood sugar spike immediately send him back. I know this is a bit panicky over not an awful situation, I'm just so young and was hit with his diagnosis in such a stressful time and got him in remission and i'm so so so intent on keeping it that way.
    Please let me know if you're able, if this spike means anything bad, but also is Nutrish bad to give them even in normal portions? I didnt have the chance to look up the carb chart and see the exact percentage but I figured whole ingredients were better than purina for example. Anyway sorry im rambling im just shaken by this sudden high reading!
    Thanks for all your help as usual!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Most likely, yes they will....his pancreas is just overloaded with carbs from his thievery.

But we do tell everybody that once a cat is in remission, they're still a diabetic....just diet controlled...they can NEVER have high carb foods again without risking losing that precious remission

The Nutrish is too high in carbs

3. LeosGotTheBetus

LeosGotTheBetus Member

Thanks so much!
    An hour later (i fed him 1/3 can of friskies before checking and knowing his numbers were high) he's reading 237. I know there's a margin on readings but I'm hoping that since it's not going up that's a good sign.. keeping an eye out on his numbers I guess!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel any better, we were out all day today celebrating second thanksgiving and my cat found my son’s cheese sandwich on a sweet Hawaiian roll... he left it on the coffee table. The only thing left was a small piece of the bread. Her number was 513. :/

5. LeosGotTheBetus

LeosGotTheBetus Member

Oh no!!! I’m so sorry about that, here’s to hoping for a quick recovery and return to stable numbers, good luck!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.