? Trying to understand why Nermal's numbers are still high.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura bb, Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

I am so confused and frustrated. I tested Nermal just now and his number is 361 at +5 hours. I just posted in the Lantus group as well. Did not know which one I should post in. I have skipped a few times before because of being a scaredy-cat of hypos, and not knowing what I am doing. I have started coming to this website everyday. He read once at 41 and I thought it was a mistake, but mistake or not I did not give him a shot. I asked for help here and a called my vet and my aunt that also used to have a diabetic cat years ago. I thought he was starting to get lower but now he is staying in the high numbers. I go to vet Tuesday, should I ask her to squeeze me in tomorrow. I got frustrated with the vet at first because she yelled at me on the phone telling me I was killing my cat for not giving him insulin, but then nicer once I brought him in immediately. I read on their reviews that someone was mad at this Cats Only clinic for not putting down their cat for a silly disease, probably diabetes. Maybe she was testing me to see how dedicated I am to my cat, she was a lot nicer when I rushed Nermal in balling my eyes out. However she is the one that told me to go to FF only and no dry ever again. Plus she is only going to charge me $27 for the visit, and her staff will always answer my questions after I call them a million times. I appreciate everyone on this website---it has been a big help---I would have not tested as much if I did not--I do not want to think about what would have happened if I gave him a shot after the meter read 41 that one night.

2. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

@Laura bb

:bighug::bighug: I'm sorry your vet experiences have been less than ideal. No professional should be yelling at a client over the phone for what they've done or haven't done. She works for you, not the other way around. It is very frustrating to wait for them to call you back. That must be universal among vet clinics. I took to emailing my questions in because I thought it would be quicker for the vet to see what I was asking and then either call me back herself or have one of her staff do it. Unfortunately, more times than not, I didn't receive a callback or any response after I emailed and am at the point where I'll be looking for a new vet soon.

Everyone here has experienced the newbie [and not so newbie] fears of hypos, confusion over BG numbers, when to shoot or skip and how much to shoot, doubts and second-guessing our actions and inactions. So, no one will yell at you here. We all love our kitties and know that you love yours, too, and are trying to do our best just as you are. Keep coming back, reading and posting, looking at others' spreadsheets, asking questions and learning.

Probably the best place to post dosing questions is on the Lantus forum. It is quite active. Seems someone is always there to assist. Post in the main forum for general health questions, eating, peeing and pooping issues and whatever else comes to mind.

Laura bb likes this.
  3. Misty2007

Misty2007 Member

I’m new to this too, but if you ever need anything I’m here to talk to! I’m sorry about the experience you had with that vet. They definitely should not be acting like that!

4. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank You very much. I was going to try to test him all night, however I am not a night owl anymore and it has already been a long day. Going to test tomorrow during the daytime more. However it dawned on me, wouldn't night numbers read lower while he is sleeping without food? I plan to do one before bed to see what it is--I have a feeling it is high. I know he needs dental work done, my vet said to wait till he more stable. I am worried what she will say when I go in Tuesday. Hopefully I can get enough tests in to show her some numbers. I still am not sure what times to test, I give his ams and pms at 6:30

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Laura, when I first started, members advised me to test at different times of the day, always trying to get a mid-cycle test. If you can't do the curves, then each day try to test at times that you haven't tested the day before and so on. The patterns are going to develop and show. I was also advised to get tests at night, at least at bedtime. Cats do usually go lower at night, although I can't tell you why. Always, always test before shooting. In the Comments section of the spreadsheet, briefly note when you fed, what you fed, and how much.

Kris & Teasel and Laura bb like this.
  6. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.