Tucker, Monday/Tuesday update, looks good

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tuckers mom, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Wanted to let you all know that Tucker is good today, no where near his old self, but he can navigate the house and ate very well.

There will be no cypro or cerenia given today, hoping his eating well continues. No valium has been needed either. I will try to update his SS tonight, but blood sugar was in the upper 100s this AM.

I think it could have been a stroke, he's going back to the vet tomorrow eve for potassium recheck at which time I will make sure the vet did BP, there have been so many tests, at this point I think she did them, I think we talked about it, but I just can't recall correctly. In any event, I will ask for a BP tomorrow night anyway.

Today's meds include Potassium (BID), Prednisone (SID), subq fluids (BID) and insulin (BID).

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Re: Tucker, Monday update

Thank you for the update Jennifer. We are so worried about Tucker.

3. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((((((((((((((((JENNIFER)))))))))))))))))))))))

Continuing to hold you and your orinch boy in my heart. I am glad he is a little better.

4. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Jenn I am so glad to see this! The more you described him, the more he reminded me of Gabi(GA). I know he has a fighting spirit like she did and I'm praying for continued improvement.

((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))

5. Patticass & Tyler (GA)

Patticass & Tyler (GA) Member

Still sending good vibes. Glad to hear things look better today.

6. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Still sending prayers for you and Tucker.

7. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Thanks for the update, Jennifer. I suggest you ask for a copy of the chart for each visit, my vet's receptionist give it to me as I pay the bill. It might help to have a reference about what was done and when since you have so many things going on. Still sending healing white light.

8. Ruthe and Smokey (GA)

Ruthe and Smokey (GA) Member

Glad to see your update and that Tucker is showing improvement Jen. Continuing to keep you in my prayers.

Hugs,
    Ruthe and Rugs

9. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

more hugs and healing thoughts from us. thanks for update, was wondering how he's doing.

10. Cheryl & Tux

Cheryl & Tux Member

Glad that things are going okay for Tucker today. I'll continue to send lots of healing thoughts and prayer to him!

11. Suzanne + Nemo (GA)

Suzanne + Nemo (GA) Member

I'm so glad you're seeing small steps to improvement. You and DH have been through so much with him - and it only makes you love him more, I'm sure.

Sending more healing vibes your way.

12. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update - relieved to see more improvement and keeping paws crossed that he continues to improve. And still sending healing thoughts and prayers his way.

13. cjleo

cjleo Member

Surrounding you both in healing white light. Peace Jennifer.

14. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Sending healing prayers for you and Tucker.

15. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

thanks for the update. continued prayers. love to hear good news. you go Tucker

16. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Gals he is a little better today.
    Sending good thoughts for you both.

17. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Hi Jennifer,

So happy to hear that Tucker is doing better! Seems like our orange boys are very strong and do their best to keep on ticking for us! My vet is always amazed at my orange Woodee boy, as it is now 2 years and 3 months since his fibrosarcoma surgery and he is still doing well. dancing_cat

I will keep praying for you and Ron, and for Tucker that he keeps improving as he has been! :)

Hugs,
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)
    dancing_cat

18. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

thanks for the update. I'm so concerned about this guy. Please whisper those loving sweet nothings in his ear and give him a smooch right on top of his noggin between the ears and tell him it's from me.

19. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Jenn. Was thinking about you guys. Glad to see some improvement... hoping for more positive news!
    Will keep the prayers and healing vibes coming. Give that orinch boy a scritch and a smooch from me and tell him he has lots and lots of people pulling for him!

20. tuckers mom

Thank you everyone, I wish there was something more I could say than just thank you, but right now that's the only thing I can come up with.

I just got back from lunch and Tucker ate well, even without getting any appetite stimulant today. He will get one tomorrow per the vet's instruction.

He ate his lunch but went to the treat area and wanted some freeze dried chicken too, so of course, he got that. His eyes look less distant, I can see more color, they are much less dilated and there's a flicker of life that wasn't there over the weekend.

He continues to rally and I am very thankful for these extra days and hope for many many many extra days.

21. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Jen-

That's AWESOME to hear!!! Will keep sending Reiki at night!

22. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Jenn-
    So glad to hear Tucker is making improvements! I have been thinking of you often, and hope that he continues doing better. He sounds like a real fighter. Just know we are all pulling for you both:)

23. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks for the updates, Jenn. Haven't had a chance to check today until now cause I've been flat on my back and not in a good way. I have been feeling better vibes about Tucker though and I'm glad to see I was right.

Please give him a kiss for me and give you a hug.

Keep on keepin' on!

(((Jenn))))

24. Pat and Skipper (GA)

Pat and Skipper (GA) Member

So glad to hear that Tucker is doing better!
    Healing thoughts and prayers for steady improvement.

25. Sabrina's Mom

Sabrina's Mom New Member

I'm so glad that he's doing better. And he's such a beautiful boy with that black (dark brown?) nose-very striking. If you don't mind me asking what all health issues does he have?

26. Tim & Chris

Tim & Chris Member

Very glad to hear he's doing so much better. Keeping you both in my prayers.

Chris
    (&Tim & Amy)

27. tuckers mom

Today, Tuesday, Tucker is doing very well. I don't want to jinx things but I'm feeling pretty confident that my vet wont be crying tonight when she sees him, except maybe a few joyful tears.

I believe that the power of this board and Tucker's own will is what got him through the darkest moments.

The plan now is to check his potassium level tonight, discuss whether or not to continue that. I will keep him on the prednisone and then will need to work the insulin around that. We'll make sure his heart is okay and try to figure out what happened Thursday night into Friday morning. Stroke? Seizure? Potassium? Brain tumor from all that circling he was doing? I have no idea.

Collete, Tucker has a lot of things going on, IBD, Pancreatitis, FD, food allergies, the circling that has been going on since November coupled with weight loss that started at that time, 3 pounds lost so far. There is an icon (earth) under Tucker's avatar photo, it will bring you to our profile. There is a photo of him and my other two FDs that passed away over the years, Misty and Sadie, as well as info on my other special kitties.

I'm not sure if I should continue daily updates since he's doing well, but tonight I will let you all know what the vet said and what his potassium levels are. I would, however, greatly appreciate it if you all could continue to keep Tucker in your thoughts and prayers, I do think it's the power of this board that has helped this far and I can not thank you all enough.

28. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

29. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Jennifer, I will keep Tucker in my thoughts and prayers. Soooo glad he is doing better.

Please report what the vet says tonight - we are all "ears" for news - and if you ever figure out what happened last week. I'm curious about that since I never really knew what happened to my cat that did that all those years ago.

You probably are right that you don't need daily updates because Tucker is going to just keep getting better and better!

30. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh this is such good news Jennifer!!! This has been the first thing I've looked for whenever I have come to the boards since Friday. I was so scared for you as I know so many others were as well. There isn't any need for you to post every day but if you feel like it or have any news to share, good or bad, or even just any thoughts, PLEASE DO! I think we all feel a lot closer to you and Tucker after this and I know I would love to hear updates on how our boy is coming along :)

I am truly tickled pink for you dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

By the way..unjinx unjinx!

Hugs~
    Caryl :mrgreen:

31. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Jennifer!

This is awesome! I'm thrilled that he's making a come back! Boomer and I will send Reiki as usual tonight. Yay!

32. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Good news Jennifer! So happy to hear things are getting better :smile:

33. Ruthe and Smokey (GA)

Ruthe and Smokey (GA) Member

Ah...you can breathe a little bit. Continued prayers for Tuckers improvment!

Hugs,
    Ruthe and Rugs

34. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Sounds very promising - thanks for letting us know! Tucker's story is just another reminder of how strong and resilient cats can be. I know I have been inspired by cat's willpower and resolve when faced with physical challenges. My late cat Cleo suffered from bouts of vestibular disease, and the way she fought against it and refused to give up was amazing. Even when we lost her last October, the fight she put up against a really intense, nasty type of cancer was just amazing. They may be cute and cuddly, but cats really have quite a fighter in them too. It's obvious Tucker's like that too.

On a different topic, could vestibular disease (i.e., vertigo) be causing his circling behavior? It could also help explain weight loss. When Cleo had her bout of vestibular disease, it was hard for me to get her to eat or drink. I think it's because it was hard for her to find food or water in a bowl (I saw her dunk her nose in her water - seemed like it was hard for her to judge the water surface).

Best wishes for a continued recovery...

35. tuckers mom

We are back from the vet and the visit went well. Not only was my vet happy to see him, the other vet on duty came to visit and the techs.

His potassium level is low end of normal and I did check on BP, it was normal on Friday and Saturday. Tucker also gained 2 ounces since Saturday.

The game plan now is to wean off of the cypro, he will get it Monday and Thursday mornings only for a few weeks until I run out, also to wean off the subq fluids, he wont need any more tonight, give him some tomorrow then every other day until the bag is empty.

He will continue on Potassium BID, Pred SID and insulin. Going forward I will have to figure out how to dose the Lev now that we have a steroid, but have decided for right now to keep his dose the same, not to make too many changes at once. He will need a fresh pen opened this weekend as his current one is almost done, then I will worry about the dose. BG this AM and last night was 233 both times.

His next appt is in two weeks to recheck the potassium level.

My vet said to expect that he may "wax and wane." I can expect him to get better, then worse, then maybe better. I hope this is not the case, but we'll see what happens.

So, once again, thank you all so much for your thoughts, your well wishes, your stories, for your support, for everything. I will post occasional updates but don't want to take away from the new folks that need our attention. You are all a wonderful family for Tucker and I and I can't ever put into words just how much the power of this board helped me and my little man.

36. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

what wonderful news. makes getting up today worthwhile

37. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Great news Jenn :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

You're just getting up now dian? (lol)

38. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

Go Tucker! So happy your boy has rebounded and is making forward progress. He is so very handsome!

39. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Great vets, a fabulous and dedicated mom, a strong will to live, and the power of sugarcat parents' prayers ... a recipe for a miracle.

I am so happy to read this update. :)

40. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Hi Jennifer,

Just now getting on the site! Cable was down last night, and I was out a good deal today.

So glad to see that Tucker is doing so well! Hope he continues to get better and better for you!

Take care and I will certainly keep you all in my prayers!

Hugs,
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)
    dancing_cat

41. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

(((Jennifer and Tucker)))) Sounds like a good vet visit :smile: and I'm so happy to read the update. I know you are breathing a little bit easier today.

Still sending healing vines and hugs to you guys!!

42. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

:RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

43. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Jennifer, I finally got a chance to read about the vet visit yesterday - good news (except the waning part, which I, too, hope doesn't happen). Any more thoughts on what caused the circling to begin with? Could his potassium have been low the whole time (I would not think so with you vets on top of everything).

:thumbup

44. tuckers mom

Tucker is still circling, a little more now than before. They are tighter circles than before too. The thought on that is still possible brain tumor and the hope is the steroids will begin to help.

For the past few weeks before this happened my sweet gentle cat Sam was starting to hit Tucker at night a few times. I think I mentioned it back when I posted about his circling. I'm starting to wonder if Sam knew Tucker was sick, you know how cats in the wild attack the sick cats so the entire pride can survive.

Maybe his potassium was going low and Sam knew. More than likely I'm grasping for straws, but I wish I knew what happened.

Today Tucker jumped onto our bed and we have a tall bed, I have to climb up into it. Tucker made the jump with ease. Whether it's the steroid or the potassium, I have no idea, but to see my little man back in action, even if it is for only a short time, this has been a true blessing. I wish everyone could meet Tucker, you'd see that his personality is bigger than him, his soul shines through when he looks at you, he's just, well as someone said, my heart cat :)

45. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

I wish I could meet him too. He has such a presence in that photo. I should send Megan over there on my behalf - isn't New Haven close to you? Of course I think everything in CT is close to everything else, but what do I know?!

I agree about the other cats going after the elderly/sick ones. My oldest has multiple issues and she is a target. I always think that is why they go after her. But then she swatted Jed in the face while I was trying to give him his shot tonight... so maybe they just don't like her! She is the alpha cat too so I am sure that has something to do with it.

46. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Sending healing & positive thoughts for Tucker. cat_pet_icon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.