Tuesday morning bad elvis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by carose, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carose

carose Member

i woke this morning not to a cat trying to livk my hear but...i found treats at a local dog store over the weekend for elvis.they are dried meat bites kind of like jerky..they are home made and the woman said no carbs no sugar nothing just died meat (they are homemade) so i bought a bag for elvis and have been giving him one as a reward for the injection...well this morning elvis found the bad on the counter (i had it behand some containers) it was opned on the floor...i know there was sme gone (some 10 since it was small bag) he is always hungary and has been like this since we got him...so i gave less for breakfeast..
    his bg was 460..this seems to be the number for his hightest...it's gonna be a long day

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

460 is a high number and one where I can understand his hunger and need to eat.

Remember an unregulated cat, NEEDS lots of food, as he doesn't utilize it properly (his body doesn't break it down right) and he is literally starving. So, you need to give him MORE food not less. Once his numbers come down and stay down, he will naturally not require as much food and will taper off on his own.

I also see that you are using N insulin. I don't know if you realize this, but that is one of the most challenging (difficult) insulins to use in a cat.

Have you given any thought to using a longer acting insulin like Lantus or Levimer?

3. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Good morning! I see Elvis is a bit hungry and must really love those treats! My Spot is a mad munch hound and after finding and chewing open his bag of freeze dried chicken treats more than once, I found a nice plastic jar with a twisty lid to put them in. He knows that's where they are at and I will occasionally find the jar on the floor, but all the treats are still in there! I've even had to put my other cat's dry food (yes, I know dry food is not good, but I am slowly weaning my Ali, who is 6 years old and weight all of 5 lbs. off of dry) in canisters with screw on lids so that Spot doesn't get any.

So, how much insulin did you give to Elvis this morning? I looked on you ss and didn't see documentation. You said that you were talking to your vet about different insulin...what did they say? I suggest that you go to the Lantus & Levimer ISG's and read some of the stickies at the top of the page to get some information on Lantus and Lev so that you can give your vet some information and see which insulin may work for you. Let us know how things turn out!

4. carose

carose Member

Vet just called ..elvis is the onimal in her clinic with diabetes...she is very impressed with all the info i have (thanks you all of you guys) she is taking back all the science diet food and giving me a credit...she is giving me her glucomoter (Ipet?) to use over the weekend to make sure the numbers i get are accurate...she is looking into prices for new insulin..PZI...I have to go (I snuck on here ar work)

5. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

That was nice of your vet to let you borrow her meter. I would try to stick with one meter. I really like the ReliOn Micro. You can get it at Walmart. It takes very little blood for a reading. :D

6. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Glad your vet is receptive to another insulin, and being supportive. I agree that you should stick with one meter. I also use the ReliOn micro from Wal-Mart. The meter is only $12 and 50 strips are $20. Very reasonable.

7. carose

carose Member

she wants me to check the the ipet just to make sure the readings i have been getting with accucheck are true...i was shocked when she said she would take back the food, she kept asking are u sure are u sure the food was not helping i told her i didnt think so due to the fact when i stoped feeding it to elvis his bg came down...took it tonote before eating it was 471....i am going to check about 8:30 - 9 pm...

8. Michelle & Prudence

Just wanted to mention - if you can, I'd try and take bg at PM +5 or +6 if it's not past that time? I've noticed that you're taking at +4, but he could be lowering more. Sometimes they drop at +3 too, so I'd try to get more data if you can. you're doing great!

9. Michelle & Prudence

Hey! I Just checked Elvis SS. Please lower his dose. That 44 last night was a sign to lower, ok. When you get a bg that low. You need to check his bg every 15 to 30 minutes. IMHO, I'd check every 15 minutes until you see it raise. You don't know what his +3 or +5 was. or maybe you do and didn't log it? Please do not feel weird about asking any questions too, ok. We're here to help you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.