? Turmeric Powder

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hello, do any of you give Turmeric Powder to your furbabies? If so, how much & mixed with what?

Thank you,

2. Nicole & Baby

I want to make this paste for myself and give some to Sadi & Baby daily:

http://www.turmericlife.com.au/turmeric-recipes-golden-paste/

"
    CATS .... use reduced amount to suit

Cats are quite a challenge to feed turmeric to. The cooked GP is best option, for ease of use. Perhaps start with 1/8 teaspoon (or just a dot) mixed in with some strong smelling food such as sardines. Some resort to watering a dose down and syringing into the mouth.

**PIE PONY'S TIPS FOR CATS & SMALL ANIMALS** Human capsules/tablets NOT recommended for animals

Cats can be fussy and mixing turmeric into a paste with coconut, olive or flax/linseed food oil and fresh ground black pepper, adding warm water if necessary, or milk to a favored tuna dish , just enough to tempt, might be a solution, other people tell me they use a syringe or pipette for their cats.

3. Nicole & Baby

Hi, I am going to bump this to see if anyone has any input on what I posted - thanks all!

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

First, give turmeric for what reason?

5. Nicole & Baby

@BJM thank you for your reply, I take Turmeric daily for overall health & belong to different Turmeric groups - it is an amazing spice. I am wanting to give it for overall health to Sadi & Baby too. This is just one example (I am not using this site as a medical decision maker), I have many resources that say it is good for cats but value FDMB input always. Thanks again!! http://www.emaxhealth.com/1020/what-turmeric-might-do-animal-health

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You may get a few anecdotal reports here.
    Maybe check www.pubmed.gov for actual research done with cats and turmeric.

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole,

I did give turmeric/curcumin to two of my kitties that had cancer (for it's possible anti-cancer properties); and I took it myself for joint problems and heart disease for many years until I found out very recently that it may exacerbate a rare disease that I've been diagnosed with.

If you do searches on the forum for both 'turmeric' and 'curcumin' you should come up with more info on what has been discussed here regarding it's use in kitties.

Eliz

8. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

I found this from IBD Kitties in my research of tumeric, you will need to scroll down to spices: http://www.ibdkitties.net/Toxicunsafe.html. I ended up not giving it to my Tiger, as she was at the beginning stages of IBD, but I would not give it to my kittens either.

BJM and Critter Mom like this.
  9. Nicole & Baby

thank you all .. appreciate input very much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.