U 100 syringes?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Barbara, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

Hopefully this is the correct place to ask this since I'm using Pro Znic. I went to Wal Mart to get the U100 syringes & the lady there totally confused me so I didn't get them. I told her I wanted the U100 Relion Ultra Comfort with a 31 guage needle & that had 1/2 unit dosing. She took forever then said they didn't have them. She kept asking me how much insulin I was injecting....I told her it was for a cat & it was different dosing than humans. I asked for the Monoject or BD brand & all she kept saying was they cost more. At that point I didn't care! Finally she says "We have these 100's" She showed them to me but I was totally confused by then & couldn't figure out if they were marked for 1/2 units or not, there was a huge line behind me by then so I didn't get them. Does someone know a stock # or something I can ask for cause it sounds like the people @ my Wal Mart know less than me. The syringes looked huge to me also! Why does everything have to be so complicated for me? I thought I had written down all the info I needed. Do syringes come in U30 or U40? I think that's what she was saying about the others? I told her from the beginning I wanted U100? If someone can tell me where to order them I would just about as soon do that so I know I'm getting the right thing! confused_cat

2. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

Here is a pic someone from here sent me when I was having the same problem. These are the syringes you want with the half unit markings.

BD Ultrafine II U-100 Insulin Syringe 31 Gauge 3/10cc 5/16 inch Short Needle--1/2 Unit Markings 100

Hope this helps...

Attached Files:

• 1a.gif
      1a.gif
      File size:
      83.9 KB
      Views:
  3. hollyall

hollyall Well-Known Member

Here's a post I recently read where someone else had the same problem at Walmart. Walmart carries the syringes, but, depending on who you get to help you, they may not know it LOL. I used the Walmart ReliOn ones.

by Hope + (((Baby)))GA
    Boy, those Walmart people should get some brains. Their syringes are now all marked with 1/2 unit markings and even when they weren't and you had to specify it, the people working there still didn't know what I was talking about till I showed them the correct box and pointed it out to them. Walmart's ReliOn U-100 3/10 cc insulin syringes are marked in 1 unit and 1/2 unit now. Just go there and ask for a 3/10 cc U-100 box of syringes with either 1/2" or 5/16" needle.

Have you been using the U40 syringes up to now? If so and you like those ones, I would get the 1/2 in, 29 gauge. Others use the thinner gauge (30 or 31) and shorter option (5/16"), but I actually had a harder time getting the syringe to break the skin and then it was so short I couldn't tell if it had gone in. I know, I know it was probably user error. Anyway, everyone is different and a lot like the shorter thinner syringe, but I did better on the one that was like the U40 I learned on.

Here's a little blurb about the syringes from ReliOn http://relion.com/diabetes/syringes

4. hollyall

Oh and if you don't already have it, here's the link to the conversion chart. It explains why a conversion is needed and what dose on the U40 equals what dose on the U100. I printed it and kept it with my syringes.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

5. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

The Walmart Relion Insulin Syringes are:
    Capacity - 3/10 ml Doses up to 30 units.
    Guage - 31 G
    Length - 8mm (5/16") short needle.

The UPC barcode is - 6 81131 31179 3

When they hand them over, open the box and take out a package and look at the syringe. The half unit marks will be on the left and the whole unit marks will be on the right side. The lines are staggered.

I've heard that people have had trouble getting them because the employees don't know they have them.

I think someone posted a picture of the box on Health recently.

6. Barbara

That comment about the people @ Wal Mart needing to get a brain made me laugh! I was thinking the same thing. I swear she was looking forever & telling me they were out of them so that's when I got so confused....I wonder what in the world she was trying to give me at first. They really need to know what they are doing if they are working in the pharmacy! I have been using the U40 syringes and was worried when I saw how big those syringes she gave me were. I was thinking the smaller the better with the needle but I see what you are saying about it being too small. I just wanted as little pain for her as possible. :smile: As long as the 1/2 in 29 gauge is no bigger than what I have I think it will be ok. I did print out the conversion chart.

7. Barbara

Thanks Rob for the UPC. I even said to the lady I need to get the stock # and come back.....I just got a blank stare! LOL!! Now I'm wondering if I need the 1/2 inch needle?

8. Rob & Harley (GA)

For the needle length, go with what you are comfortable with.

I like the shorter needle because the longer needle freaked me out and I was afraid I would poke him inside :oops: .

But there has been some discussion lately about the longer needles getting through the layer of fat better and getting better numbers from it, so I guess it comes down to personal preference.

9. hollyall

You would definitely think they should know what they are doing if working the pharmacy, but that doesn't seem to always be the case. *Shaking my head from side to side.* They also gave me a look when I said it was for my cat, like "are you sure they work on cats." LOL. There are a lot of people that use and love the shorter thinner syringes (like Robin and Donna) so don't mean to steer you away. When I tried them out, I bent a couple and Max seemed to flinch more cause I was fumbling. I will admit it was totally me cause I was still new and shakey with the shots anyway. I did fine when I went to the U-100's in 1/2 inch 29 gauge. I think it was just easier for me to stick with what I learned on, but I think I'm in the minority.

10. Barbara

Holly, are you using the Relion 1/2 inch 29 gauge now? If so do you have a box that you could tell me the UPC?

11. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

LOL, been there! ohmygod_smile I made the poor clerk pull out literally every box on the shelf and let me look at it, since he didn't seem to grasp the concept (somehow they hear 1/2 unit markings and like to pull out syringes that are 1/2 ml). Makes ya' wish they got a wee bit more training, no? :roll:

Once I found the right ones, I kept the box top and took that with me when I shopped for the next box. Ultimately though I found it easier to get them from Hocks (pre-buyout :cry: ), and I found the ones from Hocks had no air-bubbles, while I had problems with those with the Wmt ones.

12. Barbara

Oh my, I don't need anymore problem! What do you mean air bubbles? Do the BD or Monoject have that same problem? Personally I would prefer to just mail order, what's the cheapest place to get them? My problem right now is I might need them too soon for mail order. I hate Wal Mart pharmacy....there is usually some crazy line there & now I'm thinking I could have gotten just as good an answer from the Taco Bell person!

13. Rob & Harley (GA)

:lol: I think you're right about Taco Bell.

I don't think that the BD have as many air bubble problems. I can't spend the money so I deal with the air bubbles.

Hocks was a good source but since they were bought out I'm not sure anymore.

14. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

I just got a box of the ReliOn 29 gauge 1/2 " syringes. UPC is 81131 31166 (or the number in the corner of the box is 81131-0311-66).

I agree, the WalMart pharmacy folks are not the brightest bulbs in the tanning bed!!

15. Joanna & Bix (GA)

It's not that bad, you just have to flick the syringe to get them to the top & then push them out. I think it was Monoject's I got from Hocks - they didn't cost any more than the Relion's I don't think, if you ordered enough stuff for free shipping. Maybe a couple dollars more, I don't remember exactly.

16. Angela&Henry

Angela&Henry Well-Known Member

I order test strips and the Ulti U-40 syringes from Hocks. They still ship fast with no problems after the buyout; new shipping rate for any order under $59.00 dollars is $4.00. Anything above is free shipping. The test strips and U-40 syringes with sharps container are FAR cheaper on Hocks. like 1/2 the price in drugstores and vet. They have a variety of different brands of U-100 syringes.

17. Barbara

What is the U 40 syringes? I think the wal mart lady said something about a 30 & a 40?

18. Angela&Henry

Angela&Henry Well-Known Member

The U-40 syringes are made for use with the U-40 insulins such as ProZinc and PZI.
    The markings are in 1 unit increments with no 1/2 markings. To adjust say a half unit of insulin, you must eyeball it.
    The U-40 syringes are what the vet sells to use with ProZinc and I assume what you are using now.
    I have never seen U-30 syringes, think they may only be used in Europe?
    If you are changing from U-40 syringes to U-100 syringes you MUST use the conversion chart or you will be giving your kitty too much insulin based on what you are shooting with the U-40 syringes

19. Barbara

Oh good grief, I knew that....I'm using U40! You guys must think I'm as crazy as the Wal Mart lady! LOL! Thanks Angela ! I have the conversion chart printed out but I must admit I'm already having anxiety attacks over switching! I'm glad to be shooting less though!

20. Barbara

Geez, I'm never gonna get this right! I go to Rite Aid & show them the pic of the BD syringes. I thought I was getting the right thing & now that I open them I see they don't have the 1/2 units marked on the left side! Grrrr....They only have the whole units marked....that is so small I don't know if I can just rely on trying to get it right. At least I see now how short the 5/16 needle is & I do think I would do better with the 1/2! So....back to the store I go after work!

21. hollyall

Aww...bummer. So hard especially when the pharmacy isn't that much help. Good luck after work. I had a very similar experience with the syringes. Try not to stress too much. And like you said, remember this is a good problem cause you need to give Thumper smaller doses, which is great.

22. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to me at Target, Barbara. I took a printout of the pic with me (the one that I sent you), and they assured me it was the correct syringes. They ended up not having the half unit markings. But Target did take them back since the bags were not opened.

Now I just order online and get exactly what I want. I did order from Hocks but just emailed them about my displeasure that they don’t help out FDMB anymore, so may be looking for another supplier online.

23. Kathyh

Kathyh Member

Not all PAZ is U40 - mine was/is U100. Vet had it mixed in Baltimore. I loved the BD 31 short - knew I couldn't screw up with it.

24. Barbara

Success finally on the 3rd try! I had to go to Walgreens & buy their brand though! The guy at Rite Aid was at least very nice & when I went back he offered to order them. BUT, they won't sell a whole box unless you have a prescription for them! The people at Walgreens didn't say a work about that. It could be the location of the Rite Aid though. I didn't need them tonight though, she was back @ 353...not surprising since she has been 24 hrs with no insulin again.

25. Joanna & Bix (GA)

When you get ready to use the new ones, feel free to post what you are planning to shoot and what it looks like on the syringe, and get confirmation! I did that, it helped a little with the nerves. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.