U100 Syringe question...

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jane & Boo (GA), Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

Why is the short needle (5/16) the one that I see recommended by fellow forum members. I have been using a 1/2-inch 29-gauge U40. I can get the same length & gauge in the U100. Is there some reason that I shouldn't?

Jane & Silverado

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i think it's more for the cat's pleasure, as far as the gauge of the needle....bigger is felt more by the cat. i know Mousie doesn't like the 29 gauge needles, she will flinch and even snap at me if i try using those on her. the shorter length on the 5/16" also allows you to shoot in more places without risk of poking something you shouldn't.

3. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

I use the 5/16" needles because they don't go in as far so they will hurt less. I use the 31 gauge because it is thinner than the 29 gauge and won't hurt as much.

As for the U-100 and U-40 comparison, U-40 syringes do not come with 1/2 unit markings so you have to eyeball anything less than 1 unit. With the U-100 syringes, each 1/2 unit mark on the syringe = .2 units of insulin and each 1 unit mark on the syringe = .4 units of insulin. So you can accurately measure smaller doses with the U-100s.

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I switched to 31s & short needles not knowing there was a choice (i've seen the u100 w/ 1/2 unit markings in 30 & 31 short needles, and never looked beyond that - I assumed that there are fewer choices when you want those extra markings, but maybe that's not the case).

I discovered that I love them (after the first couple shots, which feel weird when you are used to the longer needle) - easier to shoot, & cat doesn't seem to notice at all. If I bought U40s again for some reason, I'd look for short needled 31s.

5. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I would feel comfortable giving H a shot in the side of his belly with a longer needle. The short needle works perfect there.

The short needles are kind of like little darts. And as long as you get them in up to their hilt and push on the plunger and not pull on the barrel then [at least for me] they take much less mental power to use too.

They do not make anything smaller than 29g in U-40

It's like the difference between driving a '72 HemiCuda and a '10 Audi R8.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i'm using really small doses right now and the u100 is helpful with that. i can actually use a line rather than guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.