u40 vs u100 syringes

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kathy and Mr. B.E., May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Mr. B.E.

Kathy and Mr. B.E. Member

Hello,
    I'm using u40 syringes now, but wonder if it's better to use u100 with the conversion chart. Am I understanding correctly that this would make it easier to view amounts such as 1.25? I did increase from 1 unit to 1.25 this morning, as best as I could, but it's hard to see on a syringe marked in 1 unit measures.

Do you think I was right to increase the insulin a bit now? The BG seemed to have stabilized now and is higher than it should be.

Thanks for all the help!

Kathy

2. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I think your increase was good. Maybe you'll get to peat into those blues and greens a bit!!÷

Kathy and Mr. B.E. likes this.
  3. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I hate the way autocorrect works in the message boards. Lol.

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yes, u100s would make it easier to view the .25 increases. Basically, the conversion chart works so that to go up by .2 units, you hit either a full unit or half unit as it's marked. So, for example, to get 1.2, you'd draw to the 3 unit mark on the u100 syringe. You'd still put 1.2 in the SS. Take a look at the chart here.

Does that make sense? It's a bit confusing at first, but it really makes life easier.

5. Kathy and Mr. B.E.

Yes, it makes sense. I will look for some u100s so I can be more precise.

6. Kathy and Mr. B.E.

I was a little surprised at the PMPS today because evening has been running lower than morning and this is the highest evening number so far. I may not have gotten all the way to the .25 more since it's hard to eyeball, but did get a tiny bit more than 1 unit this morning. I'm assuming I should continue with the 1.25? I know I shouldn't give more until numbers stabilize and this might be a little bounce, I guess?

Thanks.

7. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

As far as the dose increase, the only way to know is to get some mid-cycle numbers. The pre-shots tell you if it's safe to give a dose at all, but the mid-cycle numbers tell you if the dose is being effective. From the numbers you have, it looks like the increase is probably fine, but now you need to hold the new dose again and get more mid-cycles in order to know the next step. I don't think this PS is really a bounce (although again, without the mid-cycle we can't really know -- I work too, so I get it -- please don't take that as a judgement!) 335 is really close to 291 and 292, it's just that sometimes the color changes can make us feel like it's a bigger difference than it really is. So I think the PS tonight is consistent with the other numbers you've been seeing.

Will you be around one of the days this weekend to do a curve? It would be good to get a better sense of when Mr B.E. is hitting nadir right now.

8. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I fill to the half mark, then push in to try to get to that .25 mark. Give it a few days and try to get some +4,6,8 tests, and you might be happy with the results!

9. Kathy and Mr. B.E.

Yes I can get more numbers by Sunday. Thanks for explaining what the nadir shows!

10. Kathy and Mr. B.E.

Thanks! Are you using u40 syringes with half marks? Or do you mean the u100s? I've only seen one brand of u40s online with half marks, but don't think they'd be available locally.

11. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I use the 40s with no halfway mark.

12. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I use U-40s with half unit marks. It really helps get those 0.25 and 0.75 in between doses :). Great job adding those before bed tests :cat:

13. Kathy and Mr. B.E.

Where do you get the u40s with half unit marks? What brand are they? Thanks!

14. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Many US folks buy online from www.adwdiabetes.com.

Frank's Mom likes this.
  15. Kathy and Mr. B.E.

Thanks! I actually ordered my syringes from them, but didn't realize they had some with half-marks. Really didn't know what I was looking at then, just trying to match all the specs of the small package I got from the vet to get started. There is so much to learn!

16. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I use the carepoint brand of u40 syringes with half unit markings from adw online.
    I also use u100 syringes sometimes depending on the dose I'm giving.
    I'm very careful to make sure that I keep the u100 syringes in a different room than the u40 ones. That way I don't accidentally give the wrong dose.

17. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

18. Kathy and Mr. B.E.

I feel dumb... I found exactly the same as what I ordered before in the same brand, but with the half unit marks. So I ordered those!

But, I still missed the brand you're using in half-units which are less expensive. :banghead: I emailed ADW to see if they can switch the order since they're closed now and couldn't have worked on it yet. Thanks!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.