? Ugh!! What does this weird spike tell you?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amanda and a Loudogg, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Previous Condo

Hello all,
    Lou has been going on and off with eating less this week. I'm wondering if it's because we've gotten into warmer days, although I haven't needed fans yet (and I'm pretty sensitive to heat). He seems to go back to eating relatively normally at night. The newest problem is yesterday and today, he's barely reacting to his insulin. He already processes his Vetsulin much more slowly than normal (peaking at +7-9 rather than +4-6). Yesterday, his nadir was at +12 and it was the only time he broke out of the 300s. I am 99.8% sure there was no furshot, so I thought it was a fluke (afraid something else was going on). So today, shockingly, brings another day paddling in the pinks. It's been a bit cooler and he's been eating completely normally.

This has never happened before, and I have no idea what to make of it. The obvious choice is to up his dose to 3.75, but that doesn't really help him to get his numbers down if the insulin is taking most of the cycle to do anything. We will be switching insulins, but I have three more weeks of working doubles, so I was going to wait until those were done or at least almost done before making the switch.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas for what can be causing this huge speed bump in the interim?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You might try keeping the same dose of 3.5 u both AM and PM for a few ays to see what happens, especially in the overnight cycle. A before bed test can give you a hint about that. If you don't see a good showing of blue after, say, two day increase to 3.75 u for AM and PM.

3. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Hiya Kris! That's not a bad idea. The only reason I had lowered the dose yesterday evening was I was worried about him continuing to not eat (which wasn't a problem - go figure). I'll try that tonight and see if it helps

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.