Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karin Koop

Karin Koop New Member

Kuda was diagnosed on Jan 25th with a 591 blood test at the vet. We took him in because he was peeing in his sleep and drinking a ton.
    He is now on glycobalance kiblet mixed with wet.
    Initially he was on 1 unit of lantus but because there was no changes we increased it to 1.5 units on Feb 4.
    Things are still the same.

I am frustrated that there is no improvement but am committed, my questions are:

Did we increase the unit amount too soon? I have read it is possible to have the same symptoms with too much insulin.

My vet tells me I can only test his blood 4 -6 hours after the lantus shot, I am at work then, is that really crucial? I just took it and its 412, it was originally 591.

Does Lantus need to be at exactly 12 hours to the minute? is there any leeway? is an hour or two difference really bad?

Can I preload the syringes?

Thanks everyone, I am crossing my fingers that he just needs more time to adj.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to Fdmb:)
    That’s great you are testing the blood sugars. Always test before EVERY shot to ensure it is safe to give the shot. At this stage if the number is below 200, stall, don’t feed or give the shot and post and ask for help. We will help you.
    If you can test mid cycle that will tell us how low the insulin is taking Kuda. We change the dose depending on the nadir or lowest point. Not the Preshot number. We also only increase in 0.25 unit increments. If you are at work try and get tests at other times. All tests help us see the picture. Also get a before bed test as a lot of cats drop lower at night.
    Lantus needs to be given 12 hours apart. 15 mins either way is ok but try and not make it more if possible.
    No you can’t preload syringes because of the lubricant in the syringes. 15 mins is ok.

Diabetic cats need low carb canned or wet food. Carbs 10% or less. Kibble is high in carbs and unsuitable for diabetic cats. Fancy feast pates or Friskies are suitable. BUT DONT SWAP TO LOW CARB FOOD UNLESS YOU CAN TEST THE BLOOD SUGARS because low carb food will lower the blood sugars and you don’t want a hypo. You may need to lower the insulin dose once you swap to low carb.

you need to have some higher carb wet food.... gravy type food and some honey or Karo available at all times in case of low numbers or a hypo.

It is a steep learning curve in the beginning but gets easier. Read all the yellow stickies at the top of the Lantus forum and also the FAQ page.
    Ask lots of questions, we are very happy to help.
    I recommend posting over on the Main Health page where there are lots more people to help you. See you over there.
    Bron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.