UK based newbie lack of progress

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diane M, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diane M

Diane M Member

11 year old Muffin was diagnosed by accident 6 months ago and is on 2 units twice pd Prozinc. Still not stabilised. I’m bewildered and need help to make sense of this because we are moving to a country where the vet care will not be as good as here in Scotland. Her weight has dropped from 5 kilos to 3.9. She had serious dental disease a month ago and had all teeth removed. I’d hoped the settling of her mouth inflammation would lower her BG but it hasn’t. I’m mostly worried about her weight loss, even though she seems otherwise well and happy. I look forward to learning from everyone here and maybe can help others one day- if I can learn to help my girlie!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! It can take some kitties awhile to get stabilized. I see you’re home testing with the Alpha Trak, that’s great! If you can set up our spreadsheet and plug in some numbers that will help us see what’s going on. Here are the instructions http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    but if you need help just let us know and we’ll help you set it up. Also come to the Main Health Forum and tell us more about Muffin, such as what you’re feeding, and if you’re moving soon where to so we can help you find an appropriate food in your new home.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Muffin may do better on Lantus insulin if Prozinc has not helped. As Sharon has suggested, if you can set up the SS and come on over to the main forum, we would love to help you. Unregulated cats often lose weight, so try feeding a bit more. Until the blood sugar levels return closer to normal, kitty will not be able to utilise the nutrients in the food properly.
    Hope to see you over on the main forum:)

4. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

My cat was down to 1.8kg and has gained a whole kilo since switching to Lantus a month and a half ago! I feed her extra as she needs. It can get better with the right insulin and dosing. Hugs to you both!

There is a lot of wonderful support and information here, and you will find help. I myself may not be the best to offer advice yet, but all I can say is that I was once as bewildered and scared. It gets better. It gets easier. Eventually it will make more sense. Keep learning. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.