UK- Basil's 12 hour levels

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kate and Basil, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kate and Basil

Kate and Basil New Member

Hi there, thought I would post Basil's levels that I took today (every 2 hours)- not an easy task as I'm still laid up in bed!

AMPS 8am 13
    1u Insuvet lente
    Fed 1 pouch kitekat fish with shot

+2 10.6
    +4 9.1 (actually at +3.5 as I had to go to the Doctor)
    +5 one pouch kitecat fish in jelly
    +6 11.2- maybe a bit higher as he had eaten?
    +8 13.1
    PMPS 8pm 13.6
    1 pouch felix fish in jelly
    1u Insuvet Lente

I've got the give the poor cat (and me) a break tomorrow, so just testing at shot time.
    Let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks very much,
    Kate

2. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi Kate,

well done on the testing, especially feeling out of sorts.

Thank you for putting your dose info in your signature (as well as post)makes it easier.

Ok:

+2 10.6 (191)
    +4 9.1 (164) (actually at +3.5 as I had to go to the Doctor)
    +5 one pouch kitecat fish in jelly
    +6 11.2-(202) maybe a bit higher as he had eaten? YES
    +8 13.1(236)
    PMPS 8pm 13.6 (245)
    1 pouch felix fish in jelly

Not a bad curve on a small dose.
    Onset is 1-3 hours
    Nadir (peak action, lowest number) is 3-6 hours
    Duration (before effectively all gone) 8-10 hours

So like Caninsulin your sacrificng higher preshots (it's still possible to regulate, can just be a bit harder, but this is looking good to me)

Couple of things.

Don't want to sound harsh, but ditch the kitekat.It's between 11-18% carbs if memory serves me right. I used to use it on Lucky to pukl her from a low bg (it's not clased as HC but I knew how my cat responded to different carb %, you will too over time).

Try to only give fish flavours once a week (mercury concerns)

Felix in jelly is ok, think that's 8%
    Going to do another post about food, hate it when page jumps and can't see what I'm typing.

What I definitely say right now is don't increase the dose. You may be able to do this by using a lower carb food and breaking into small meals across the day.
    Not definite but a possibility.

3. RuBee

RuBee Member

Well done, Kate (and Basil!) A curve while you're sick? Geesh, I had a bug the other day and I couldn't even stay awake longer than a few hours at a time. Forget about consistent testing!

As a newbie, too, I can't give you any information or advice about insulin, but that's a really nice job on the testing - go ahead and give yourself a treat. :lol:

I can tell you that if I saw those levels with my cat (after I converted them, lol) I would consider it an OK day (not stellar, but you wouldn't see me wringing my hands in anxiety), all things considered. Other people can give you specifics - I just wanted to make sure you knew you are doing a good job. :razz:

4. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

These foods are from a couple of years ago so not sure if they are still available.
    Whiskas Mmm was the lowest at 1% but I couldn't find it from the beginning of this year (and Lucky hated it!)

Felix 'As good as it looks' 3.4% (others have said it doesn't work for their cat, worked brilliantly for us)

Whiskas? (Ithink) 'Oh so meaty' chicken pouches..4.4%
    Rabbit and chicken in jelly 5.6%

Butchers Classic Fish and meat selection in jelly (Waitrose/Sainsburys?) 8.8% (I think you should try for under 5%)

Felix in jelly 8.3%

Tesco premium cuts in jelly pouches (chicken, tuna, salmon and prawn, rabbit and turkey) 8.2%

Tesco finest succulent chicken breast collection pouches 1.1% (is quite expensive)

I got funny looks (but didn't care) walking down the cat food aisle with my calculator working out the %carbs (being in Germany I had the language barrier to deal with as well)

Add up the values for protein, moisture, fat, fibre, and ash (if listed)
    Subtract from 100.The difference is the wet matter carbs.
    e.g 11%, 78%,5%,2%,1.5%=97.5, subtract from 100=2.5.WET matter carbs.

However need to do on a dry matter basis.
    So, again look at guaranteed analysis.Subtract the %moisture from 100. In this example=22.
    Divide your wet matter carbs by this number.
    So, 2.50divided by 22=11% on a dry matter basis. (On a calculator=.113636 recurring)

Go back over to Caninsulin isg and read sweetgrass's sticky that demonstrates how you can use food to shallow your curve, not overwhelm pancreas all at once. Initial aim is to get cat under 250 for as much of the day as possible. Then you tweak from there. (May mean a need for slight increase, only time will tell.Often have to increase before you can decrease dose)

Your doing great :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.