(Uk) diet controlled for 2 years. Now has kidney disease. New safe diet?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marie McMeowington, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marie McMeowington

Marie McMeowington Member

Hi everyone,

This forum helped me so much a couple years ago when ninja was diagnosed. After a couple months of insulin and testing and changing her to an all wet diet of Macs catfood she has stayed in very good numbers for the last 2 years. 4.8 at home.. highest she's had was a 9 at the vets. (She gets very stressed)

2 years have passed and she's now about 18. And I've noticed her back at the water bowl. Blood and urine tests show that she's in about stage 2 of kidney disease. They are saying she might also have crystals or stones. But they aren't sure if it was a mistake test as the urine might not have been fresh and the crystals may have developed in the lab.

Anyway my vet is recommending a Hills diet. Either c/d for the crystals or k/d for the kidneys.

I am super reluctant to blindly take their advice on diet as I know they like to push the hills food for profit.

I'm not sure what I should do. Maybe the Macs food is too harsh on the kidneys? I order it from happy kitty company. Is there another wet food that would benefit kidneys and diabetes. I really would love to avoid having to give insulin again. As for the crystals I'm going to get another sample for them to test because they said they aren't sure.

Thanks in advance for any advice. This site has been a life saver so far.

(I'm in the U. K , when it comes to catfood to order. )

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  2. Marie McMeowington

The c/d diet was coming up about 28 carbs. Not sure about the renal diet... her macs food is between 2 and 5 carbs. (She only eats 4 of the flavours, the other flavours have higher Carbs)

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Marie,

You might find more info on suitable diets - and everything else you need to know about CKD and treatment options - at Tanya's Site. They have a support group, too.

Mogs

4. Marie McMeowington

Ok I will try them. I'm afraid they will just recommend food that will send her blood sugar back to numbers in need for insulin.

5. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.