? Unable to urinate-crystals

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by majandra, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

My mom's cat just got diagnosed with urinary crystals. I don't know much about them, and I suggested wet only diet with water added. Is there anything else I can suggest to her?

ETA: It may be an emergency vet visit now- she just said he can't urinate.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. majandra

anyone have any immediate tips to help?

3. Beta kitty

Beta kitty Member

I would take the cat to the emergency vet if he can't urinate. Male cats can get blocked with crystals and it can be life threatening. Don't want to scare you, but it's better to be cautious. My cat was on a special diet for crystals for awhile that I had to get from the vet, Royal Canin SO.

4. majandra

I passed on the advice- thanks!

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

The cat definitely needs to to go to the ER now if he cannot urinate. That is a a very serious problem that needs to be seen immediately. After they are able to help him he will need to be on a special diet to keep them from reoccurring.

6. Mark and Jake

Mark and Jake New Member

Please also get a urinalysis after a month on his special diet to monitor his crystal levels.

Just as a different perspective, my cat Jake had a blockage due to struvite crystals. He was prescribed Royal Canin SO wet and dry. I was told he was high risk but a urinarlysis was never suggested nor performed by my vet to confirm his risk. Due to its high carb content combined with Jake’s weight issues, after 3 months I ultimately decided to switch him to low carb all wet with extra water.

7. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Any updates on how your mom's cat is doing?

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

How is he today

9. majandra

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread earlier.
    He was actually able to urinate when I first posted, but just dribbles. By next morning he was peeing normally.
    He is doing great- change in diet and something vet gave/suggested and he has had no more problems.
    Thanks for checking in!

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

@majandra it sounds very like FLUTD. Link below. Sheba used to get flare ups of it in the form of idiopathic cystitis and she would have trouble peeing in the beginning and just do dribbles.. multiple trips to the LB, sometimes blood in the urine, and then small frequent wees until it settled days later.
    https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/FLUTD.aspx

majandra likes this.
  11. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Glad to hear he is feeling better.

majandra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.