? Uncooperative Kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lynn & Prudence, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynn & Prudence

Lynn & Prudence Member

Is there anyone out there who has advice for an extremely uncooperative Kitty. I have tried the cocoon method, but she fights me tooth and nail. She just wants the treats and will take one and then run when I touch her ears. Forget the paws, she won't let me near them. It's very discouraging. I've only had her about six months and she's a sweetheart under normal conditions, but she is very stubborn.

2. DustBunnyMomma

DustBunnyMomma Member

Mine was super uncooperative at first. She still gets in moods but for the most part puts up with me now. I usually use the scruff of her neck to make her hold still( like how momma kittys pick up the babys). Even adult kittys can still have that auto response to thier scruff. From there i pet her and tell her to be a good kitty until shes purring and calmed down. I also only treat after everything and only if she was good. I wasnt doing the scruff thing until she moved mid poke and made me jab her ear through and my finger on the other side. I definitely dont want that to happen again.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

My Patches II is not the easiest to test. I can't test her left ears since she swats me away. I can tst her right ear but she "screams" when I place the lancet on her ear. I just have to grab an ear and not let go until I am done.
    I adopted her about 1 1/2 years ago as untreated diabetic that was abandoned in an apartment.

4. Erica & Carter

Erica & Carter Well-Known Member

Carter isn't bad for his ear prick but he was far less enthused about it. He has always been very finicky with his paws in general as well until I decided to try and give his ears a break one day and brace myself for the "rabbit kicking" or the pulling away, not expecting to get any blood.

Now, I only use his paws. They bleed better than his ear, I came to find out. He literally fell asleep on me this morning sitting cradled in my lap while I pricked his paw. He's very desensitized to it now, I guess once he realized the paw is much less uncomfortable than the ear? But ECID.

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  5. DustBunnyMomma

DustBunnyMomma Member

I am afraid to try My kittys paws because of how I would have to hold her. Its very uncomfortable for her to be held on her back because of her pelvis. I can however get her to roll over for me in the bath tub, maybe I should try and test her in there? lol

6. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

Baby steps and work up to it. I also on treat after I achieve my goal.

1) Pick a spot and have him stay there. Say petting until he lays down then after a bit a treat for being a good boy.
    2) at spot and messing/petting with the ears.
    3) at spot, messing, and warming the ears
    4) at spot, messing, warming and testing.

DustBunnyMomma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.