Under 100 All Day!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BirdAndTobikat, Jan 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BirdAndTobikat

BirdAndTobikat New Member

Oktober had an entire day with numbers under 100 but not under 60 (ReliOn Prime meter), I am celebrating this win!

Ten days ago we were at 456 and 500. Ten days ago I found this group. 9 days ago we got off the Hills KD. We went from needing to be at 2.5 units with intentions of going up to 3 within a couple days, to just only needing 0.5 units now. What a HUGE difference!! And she seems so much more comfortable now!

I know I couldn't have gotten to these numbers without finding this group. I can't wait to schedule a follow up appt with my vet and surprise her, she has no idea this has been happening all at home or that Tobi has been doing this well. #gratefulbeyondwords

Thank you to everyone who has given advice, shared stories, and guided us to this point and as we continue on. You've all helped me save my cat's life, and she and I are both forever grateful. Thank you from the bottom of our blackened, furry hearts.

Attached Files:

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

That’s great to hear.
    If I were you I would get another test in during each cycle around +4 or +5 to check that Oktobers BG is not dropping too low during the cycles.

BirdAndTobikat likes this.
  3. BirdAndTobikat

Absolutely. It's a little tough to get those in-between spots because I work and am usually driving during that time, but I'll try to get some more in where I can!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Do you leave food out for him during the day to snack on?

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Congratulations Bird and Tobi, you are looking so fine
    Like you said this group is awesome, I don't know what I have would done without all of these awesome members

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Even using Levimir, since you are using the SLGS protocol, when you get a nadir below 90, you should drop the dose by 0.25U.

Per the guidelines in
    Dosing Methods: Start Low, Go Slow (SLGS) & Tight Regulation (TR)

From diagnosis on October 23, 2019 to now. What a difference.

Awesome, absolutely fantastic job you did getting Oktober to where she is now. All those changes you did to help Oktober out, in only the last 10 days has helped her so, so much.

Remember that our cats are more than a set of numbers. So how is the appetite and the 5 P's (purring, preening, pooping, peeing, playing) doing? Situational assessment, nice quick, visual assessments you can do.

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.
  7. BirdAndTobikat

Yes! We have an auto feeder (the c500) and she gets food at 10am, 2pm, 6pm, 10pm, 2am, 6am.

8. BirdAndTobikat

She has actually been playing this week! So much so, I thought she was crazy. Purring, preening like a queen, and pooping ok(a little firm) and peeing less frequently and more like it used to be. Less desperate eating and drinking too.

So, when she is at half a unit and her numbers are low, should I drop to .25 units? My syringes don't have quarter markings, and even the .5 unit is an eyeball game, so trying to do tiny changes is tough. New syringes won't be here until next week.

Juls and Billy likes this.
  9. Deb & Wink

I think you need to 'eyeball' that even tinier dose reduction you need to do, down to 0.25U for Oktober.

Best pictures I could find for now.
    Pictorial guide using a U-100 syringe marked with half units:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stole, I mean copied them from over in the Lantus/Levimir ISG. Look about 3/4 of the way down in the sticky that says Insulin Care & Syringe Info: Proper Handling, Drawing, Fine Dosing. The syringes shown have the 1/2 unit markings on the barrel. Do the best you can, and it's important to be as consistent as possible with those tiny doses. Magnifying glasses anyone?

You might consider posting over there also. More folks in that Lantus/Levimir ISG to help people and more people that have experience with Levimir. I think you know enough to 'graduate' to the ISG (Insulin Support Group). You have your SS setup, info in signature, have syringes on order with the 1/2 unit markings on the barrel, good food.

Just link your posts from here in the Feline Health Main Forum when you go over to the ISG. So people have some background on Oktober and can read through previous posts without a lot of hunting around. Helps them to help you better. Read The Basics: New to the Group? Start here! post first to get you started over there.

What do you think? You are welcome to stay here in Feline Health too. Your choice.

10. BirdAndTobikat

I just realized that I did the spreadsheet all wrong. I wrote in her numbers thinking that "+6" was 6:00 am or 6:00 pm depending on where it fell on the AMPS or PMPS side.:facepalm: :blackeye:
    I get it now, but there are a lot of numbers I'm gonna need to move around.
    I spent a couple hours on it last night, I need to go back through and fix everything, ugh! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

11. Deb & Wink

Ok. Darn, heck, and other not so nice words are what I would be using myself.

Better to notice it now, then several months down the line.

I hope you started with correcting the most recent BG readings first.

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes please reduce the dose if you drop under 90 on the SLGS method. I’m glad you noticed the changes you needed to make on the SS. Well done !

13. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

You're already getting all the good advice. I just stopped in to say Huzzah for Oktober! And huzzah for you! You rock! And don't fret about having to re-do the spreadsheet. I had to do it as well! I imagine it's fairly common.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.