Unsure about dosing

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Idjit's mom, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Please read Unsure About Dosing on the main health forum regarding my concerns and questions. Thanks very much.

2. Idjit's mom

Both methods discourage using pet monitors. After all the expenses this past two weeks I am not going to buy a second monitor right now. I have to admit I feel stupid for giving Idjit insulin without testing, that wasn't in Vet instructions, nor 12 hour injection schedule. A little mad about that. We are so lucky he's ok, at least I hope he is. We are in our late 60's, this is our last "baby", we want to do this right.

3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome! :)

It’s okay, many of us started out with a pet meter and it’s fine that you use one if you prefer it. Many people switch to human meters quickly as they realize the strips for the alphatrak cost way more than buying a new meter with way less expensive strips. ;)

Don’t feel stupid at all, what did you know about any of this before now? You were smart to read up and find this place! Many came here with a similar story. Many vets don’t encourage home testing, I don’t know why and I think it’s terrible, but it is not uncommon. You’re here now and you’re going to learn a lot and Idjit will be the better for it. :bighug:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Idjit's mom

Regarding the guidelines for pre shot levels in FDMB FAQ Q4.4, those values are from a human meter, would same values apply with Alphatrak 2? I am willing to begin today 1/2unit BID, but need pre shot guide for my meter. Give insulin AM & PM daily if above 90 for the next week and test midway also? Ignore sliding scale for now?

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

A pet meter will read higher than a human meter and that difference is larger at high BGs and smaller at low BGs.

It's normal to be frustrated and upset when you come here and find all the information you didn't get from your vet. It's hard to trust an internet resource over a trained professional. It all comes down to the time spent learning about and (successfully) treating FD. Most vets are general practitioners and don't see many feline diabetics in their clinic. The people here live and breathe FD 24/7 for years on end. It's the main focus of everything that's done on FDMB.

7. Juliet

Juliet Guest

You can get a free meter. If you go to the website of the brand eg Accucheck or Freestyle - they pretty much always offer a free meter with the purchase of strips.

8. Idjit's mom

I just received Alphatrak 2 strips (50), having purchased meter start kit 1 1/2 weeks ago on vet's recommendation to match what they use. I'm burning through the social security check here Aside from that silliness, I have the Alphatrak here now and will need to test in 2 hours. Idjit does not suffer fools when it's breakfast time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.