Up in night with do Lou he is 465 at +6 laying by water bowl

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa and Do Lou (GA), Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Ok I am worried we have had our 3rd dose of lantus I was over at Lantus land but its quiet over there right now and just so unsure as to what to do if anything you can look at his spreedsheet and see how high he has been since yesterdays start of L which I am told is normal but he is just laying by the water bowl today it was time for +6 and he was 465 so I am having a breakdown of sorts and need reassuring all is OK I guess nailbite_smile nailbite_smile

2. jimsy

jimsy New Member

One of the frustrating things about Lantus is that it can take a while to "click" with some cats. The first week that Whistle was on Lantus it looked like her numbers weren't going down at all. After about three weeks we had her well-regulated. I know how frustrating it can be though. When I brought her home from the emergency vet we had to begin the process of re-regulating, and the first week was so hard because her numbers were consistently high. It will take a while to get the right dose and get the Lantus into full swing. Are you testing negative for ketones? That might ease your worries.

3. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Yes was able to get a urine sample from him this morning and he was neg so yes it did help a LOT to ease my mind I guess I expected his numbers to look wonderful right off someone smack me right? ohmygod_smile I am just anxious to see him get better its been such a frustrating 4 months with my vets playing with Novolin when I could see we were getting nowhere on that so I will keep watching his numbers and tell myself to be more patient he just scared me last night nailbite_smile

4. paige

paige Well-Known Member

(((((Lisa))))) It is very scary for us beans. To see our babies still showing signs and symptoms at first and feeling so helpless because we can't make them better faster. There were plenty of nights I broke down and plenty of nights I was so confused and ready to pull my hair out. So you are not alone, we have all felt what you are feeling. It is normal......hugs to you and purs to Do Lou. You are doing great; just remember it is not a race. (easier said than done eh? ) :YMHUG:

5. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

yes easier said then done this entire diabetic saga has been hard on me and him but I am hopeful now that we have made the switch from N he will respond better to lantus I get no sleep anymore its like I wake up every 2 -3 hours to look at him confused_cat

6. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Yes I had plenty of those nights. And when my Webber started seeing lower numbers at night I would sleep upstairs (cuz he would sleep on the bed with me if I was alone) and I would wake up, roll over and test at odd hours just to make sure he wasn't too low. Even now that he is off the juice I still get up at the normal shot time to feed all the kiddos. Sleep is overrated! HA!!

Did I hear that you are a vet tech? What made you decide to switch to Lantus? I certainly think that is wonderful news, yay! :thumbup

7. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Yes I am a vet tech and as for the switch to lantus it was me being on this forum reading and then seeing my cat do terrible on N and trying to convince my vet to try lantus. My clinic where I work only uses N. Do Lou's vet uses lantus occasionally but my cat is his first lantus patient in a year so this tells you he still does not know a lot about it I do not think or he would use it more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.