Update and Hello - 1st BG Curve!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by PPCW, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think you might hit 200...and if not you'll be so close I think it could count. If it makes you uncomfortable you can surely go lower though!

2. PPCW

PPCW Member

He is now at 188 AMPS+40min. I am confident that he will be above 200 in another 20 minutes. Will feed him now and give 1 unit.

Thanks everybody!!!

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I was shaking the first time I gave a shot under 200. You're doing great!!!

4. PPCW

PPCW Member

It is scary! Hopefuly no surprises when I come back later!

Rachel and Djamila like this.
  5. Djamila

Oh, little edit to your spreadsheet when you get a minute: On the spreadsheet, we list the BG level at the time of the shot. Then put the first two readings in the notes. That way you can see what number the insulin was actually acting on.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  6. PPCW

PPCW Member

Changes made. +6 is 118.

What dose should I give him tonight? If he is above 200, 1.2 units? The idea of 1.2 U came up earlier in the thread.

7. Djamila

That's what I would suggest. Based on today at 1.0u, it looks like he can handle the 1.2u. He's still got lots of room to move based on that +6.

8. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

If he's above 200, I think you're OK to do 1.2U and get your usual evening tests :). If he's below 200, post here and don't feed. We'll try to stall him for 20 minutes. What time is PS test?

9. PPCW

PPCW Member

His PMPS today will be 6:30pm (PST), trying to work it back to 6pm. Will get another test this afternoon.

10. Yong & Maury GA

Ok, I should be around :)

11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I agree that 1.2 would be good if he's back up to the 200 range. Got a nice drop, but not quite as much as we want.

12. Yong & Maury GA

13. PPCW

PPCW Member

PMPS 128! Wow.... Didn't get to do a +9.

14. Yong & Maury GA

Hmm... can you stall without feeding and retest 20 minutes from first test?

15. PPCW

PPCW Member

Yes. I am in the stalling period right now. Will do a +40min instead of +20min because I don't think it will get anywhere close to 200 at +20min :nailbiting:.

16. Yong & Maury GA

You can do +30 instead, unless the +40m won't knock you off schedule too much, then that's fine :)

17. PPCW

PPCW Member

Should I still do 1 U tonight? It seemed OK during the day cycle.

18. Djamila

Well, look at him go!

19. Djamila

Let's see where you're at after the stall. I just logged on. How much longer until the next test?

20. Yong & Maury GA

Should be soon...

Djamila likes this.
  21. PPCW

PPCW Member

at+40min, 141

22. Djamila

Hmmm.....these are the times when I always want someone else to decide....o_O

23. Djamila

How brave are you feeling? How late are you staying up? How many test strips do you have?

24. PPCW

PPCW Member

I am OK with giving him a shot tonight and probably not going to sleep much :coffee:. I am just not sure how much I should give him.

25. Yong & Maury GA

Ok so he is rising,
    PMPS 128
    +40m 148

Since it's the first lowest PS and there is no data, I'm leaning towards 0.75U and plan to check at +2 or +3.

26. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Maybe 0.6 u? Oops! I see Yong recommended 0.75 u. You could try 0.6 u or 0.8 u if you're using U100 syringes.

27. Djamila

That's the thing: there's really no way to know tonight. One unit wasn't quite enough today...except that he stayed low all the way through PS which means it really was enough and may still be in play a bit. Probably if you shoot one unit tonight it will be okay. But it might be too much and I never ever want to give someone advice that leads to a lime green. :nailbiting: If you're home and monitoring and have high carb food, you'll be fine, but it can be nerve wracking.

You can play it safe and shoot a token dose like 0.5. You'll still need to monitor, but there's a better chance of staying in calmer numbers.

It's really up to you. What does your gut say?

28. Djamila

LOL...all at the same time! And all different!

29. PPCW

PPCW Member

I am leaning toward 0.75 unit as well. One more test coming up in a few minutes.

Djamila likes this.
  30. Yong & Maury GA

Mine was supposed to say no more than 0.75U, a little sleepy :)

31. Djamila

Aren't we a lot of help? :bighug:

PPCW and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  32. PPCW

PPCW Member

Thank you everyone, especially Yong, to keep you up :oops:.

The 1 hour stall number didn't really change: 147. Now I am uncomfortable of giving him a 0.75. I will feed him now and give 0.5 U tonight and test him through the night with honey ready.

Thanks Yong!

33. PPCW

PPCW Member

And always appreciate the input from Djamila too! Got to feed now, all 3 cats are trying to walk and sit on me :cat:.

Djamila likes this.
  34. Djamila

@Rachel always says, "all data is good data" and you learn to trust yourself more every time you have a night like this. You'll get some data tonight and it will help you make the next decision along the FD journey.

You're doing a great job with all of this uncertainty. :bighug:

Rachel and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  35. Yong & Maury GA

No worries, just a few extra minutes :)

36. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Dying to hear how it went last night!

37. PPCW

PPCW Member

Good morning (yawn)!

After stalling for an hour with BG at 147, I fed and gave him 0.5 U.

PMPS+3.5 - 93 and gave him a snack.
    PMPS+6 - 129

The AMPS is coming up in about 20 minutes, hopefully his BG is around 200. If so, maybe 1.2U?

38. Djamila

I realized late last night that you had stalled in the morning as well. So was that PMPS 12 hours after the final AM test? Or was it at your normal shot time (so slightly less than 12 hours?)

Do you have your AMPS? (this is my favorite thread right now -- it's always a new surprise!)

39. PPCW

PPCW Member

Last night's PM cycle was actually 13 hours because of the stalling. This morning I am about 20 mins ahead of 12 hours so I can make my way back to the original feeding schedule. I just took his AMPS: 248. I think I will try 1.2 units.

Suggestion?

40. Djamila

I think 1.2 sounds good. And yowza on that 248! I bet the 1.2 will bring him down nicely though.

ETA: Isn't it funny that 248 seems high when just a couple of days ago you had numbers in the blacks? :blackeye:

PPCW and Kris & Teasel like this.
  41. PPCW

PPCW Member

I know and too many surprises! I am becoming color blind now and really need some sleep since this journey started :p. I wish I can track him in the morning better because he doesn't get a feeding until +6 or +7. Unlike the PM cycle, he gets a snack at +3.

42. Djamila

Do make sure you're taking care of yourself. It's often said around here that this is a marathon, not a sprint. You need to make sure you're sleeping! He's doing fine and you are dosing him to keep him in nice safe numbers, so try not to worry too much. You're doing great!

43. PPCW

PPCW Member

OK. I am speechless. Just got home to do a +6 and his BG is 35 and 38 (2nd test 30 seconds after the first)!!!!! OMG!

I gave him 5ml of syrup water and he ate dry kibble immediately. He is very alert and able to get up and jump off the couch. Just used the litter box (peed and pooed). Will test again in 30 min.

ETA: I don't think there is anything wrong with my meter. Or is there? :confused::banghead:

44. Djamila

Probably nothing wrong with the meter. 50 is the take action number. Many cats can go below that and be okay.

You're doing the right things. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the BG to rise.

Looks like King Coby has had about enough of this insulin nonesense!

Yong & Maury GA and PPCW like this.
  45. Djamila

Also, if you need to feed again, try to use high carb wet food if you can. It takes effect quicker. You should be fine though because he also had the syrup.

46. Djamila

I'm in the woods right now and going in and out of cell reception. If you need help and no one else is around back here, post out on the main health forum. Hopefully there are others online here too though

47. PPCW

PPCW Member

Thanks Djamila! His sugar just went up to 308 after the syrup, dry kibble, and normal wet food feeding. I guess BG will probably be high to PMPS this evening due to the syrup and kibble. It will be hard to decide how much Prozinc to give him tonight.

Coby was very happy to see the dry kibble though because he hasn't had this much since April!

Thanks always for your support!

48. Djamila

Oops. Well, at least he isn't hypo anymore! :p

He may be a bit high tonight, but I would still aim low on the dose. He's pretty clearly working on his slide down the dosing scale! :D

49. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow! All right Coby, guess you're trying to let us know how you feel about insulin!

50. Yong & Maury GA

How was his behaviour? He might still come down some for PMPS, the syrup doesn't last very long. How much insulin did he get this morning?

51. PPCW

PPCW Member

I think he is telling me he has had enough shots on his ears and scruff :cool:.

He was acting quite normal because he had dry kibbles and wet food right after the syrup water. I may have over reacted a bit after seeing 35.

His PMPS is 408 so I gave him 1.2U. This morning he got 1.2U as well and he took me for a ride :nailbiting:.

I also realized that last night I didn't give him 0.5U because I drew up 0.5U in U100 syringe, so converting that back to U40, it was actually 0.2U.

Will get a +6 tonight and stay home tomorrow morning so I can get some day numbers which have been missing lately.

52. Yong & Maury GA

I might've dropped down to 1.0U or 0.8U after his excitement from today. If you already shot, I would test at +2 or +3 to see where he's headed.

53. Djamila

So he got to 93 on a 0.2 last night?

After going hypo, cats will often run a little high the following cycle. However, if he really just got a full unit more than he did last night, please keep an eye on him this evening.

I have a feeling he's wanting more like 0.4 or 0.6 right now. He is starting from pretty high up there though, so that should balance it - just always better to check on things. You're good at that, and you clearly showed you can handle a low number today!

PPCW likes this.
  54. PPCW

PPCW Member

It was a hard decision between 1 and 1.2. Chose 1.2 because the 400s. Will definitely get more numbers before +6.

Djamila and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  55. PPCW

PPCW Member

I was driving and thinking about his dosing for the pm cycle and suddenly realized what I did last night. So it was 0.2U instead of 0.5U.

Hopefully 1.2 tonight is not going to be crazy. Setting alarms now.

56. Djamila

You should be able to tell fairly early in the cycle if it's going to be active or not. And hopefully he'll just run high and flat tonight and it won't even matter. Sometimes the bounce patterns are really helpful!

57. PPCW

PPCW Member

Sigh, cats are soooo dramatic :D.

58. PPCW

PPCW Member

Good morning.

Last night's experiment with 1.2U proved that Coby's cells are reversing insulin insensitivity.

PMPS: 407
    PMPS +2: 279
    PMPS +4: 58, fed some gravy based wet food (~1/4 can)
    PMPS + 6.5: 102

AMPS coming up in a few.

59. Djamila

I'm so sorry you didn't get much sleep again last night! Will you have time to nap a bit today?

60. PPCW

PPCW Member

Good monring Djamila!

I will reverse my schedule today so I can get some AM numbers then head out in the afternoon. Hopefully a few winks in between testing.

AMPS: 274. I think you were right last night, his need for insulin is probably around 0.4~0.6U. I will try 0.6U this morning to see what happens.

YAWN and time to feed!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Reason for edit: correct Djamila's name
  61. Djamila

Fingers crossed for a calm day in BG land! You and Coby both could use some rest today!

PPCW likes this.
  62. PPCW

PPCW Member

A calm day! PMPS at 200, trying another 0.6 to see what will happen tonight.

63. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'm thinking a calm day is just what you both needed!

PPCW likes this.
  64. Yong & Maury GA

Come on, Coby! Momma Patricia probably needs a calmer evening :cool:
    ETA: That day cycle today is BEAUTIFUL and like textbook purrfect :woot:

PPCW likes this.
  65. Djamila

Thank goodness! Yes, I think you both needed a bit of rest after that roller coaster yesterday!

And I'm loving that 200 tonight! Here's to a nice safe dark green tonight and a good night's sleep for you both!

PPCW likes this.
  66. PPCW

PPCW Member

Yes, a calm night will be great! Will still do a +6 to see how low he goes and one +3. I hope I will hear the alarm :p.

ETA: he gained 0.1 pound! A small gain but I am so happy! I can also see new fur on his face and ears.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  67. PPCW

PPCW Member

Uneventful night :cat:.

1st AMPS: 151. One hour stall AMPS: 169. Gave 0.4U to see if it is a good dose to shoot for numbers under 200.

Djamila, Yong & Maury GA and Rachel like this.
  68. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hope the uneventful night meant some sleep for you! I'd definitely keep an eye on him today and see where he goes.

PPCW and Djamila like this.
  69. Yong & Maury GA

This is exciting :cool:

Djamila likes this.
  70. Djamila

Go, King Coby! Keep it up! (or should I say down?) :D

PPCW, Beenie (GA) and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  71. PPCW

PPCW Member

Well, 0.4U was a bit much for this morning or number under 200. At +4, he went down to 49 and gave him 2ml of syrup water. At +6, BG went back up to 90. PM check in 45 minutes.

Question: how do I know if he doesn't need a shot?

72. Yong & Maury GA

When you skip and he's holding his own BG in normal ranges, 50 - 120 roughly on a human meter. He's definitely seems to be getting close :cat:. Will check back in 45 minutes :)

PPCW likes this.
  73. Djamila

Oh Patricia! How is your stress/exhaustion level these days? You've really had a run of excitement lately! Let's see where he's at tonight, but he definitely seems to be telling you that he's about done with all of this!

74. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Excellent data to have though! Now you know that it's too much to give under 200 at this point.

I know this must be exhausting for you, but I really do think it's all good so far...Coby really does seem to want to get off insulin!

However, as Djamila said, you've certainly had a tough time of it lately...this is always the hardest part when they're getting so low and you're trying to fine tune the dose. How are you holding up?

PPCW likes this.
  75. PPCW

PPCW Member

Thanks everybody! I am doing OK. It is important to get all the data even if it means fragmented sleep cycle for me :cat:. I just want him to be well. We love our fur babies!

76. PPCW

PPCW Member

PMPS: 96.

I don't think stalling for 1 hour will get the BG up to 200. No shoot tonight?

Yong & Maury GA and StephG like this.
  77. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Woah! Yeah I'd go ahead and skip at this point. Give Coby dinner, skip the shot, and treat yourself to a lovely night of uninterrupted rest! Goodness knows you both deserve it!

78. Djamila

Oh yeah!!! Yes, skip the shot, and sleep well knowing that he's safe tonight! I'm so glad that you'll both get some good rest!

PPCW likes this.
  79. PPCW

PPCW Member

YES!!!!!

Going to feed the cats and say hello to my bed :D.

Kris & Teasel, Rachel and Djamila like this.
  80. Yong & Maury GA

Skip and get some sleep :). If you're still awake at usual +2 or +3 go ahead and grab it. If not, sleep well! :bighug:

PPCW likes this.
  81. PPCW

PPCW Member

Good morning! Sleep is a wonderful thing.

His +2 last night was 113. This morning PS is 81! NS again. Yay!

Hope he can keep this going :cat:.

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!

82. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow! What a beautiful preshot after that NS last night! I hope you got tons of good restful sleep last night and glad to hear you can relax some today! I'd try to grab maybe a +6 or so if you can today, but don't stress about it. Just if you happen to be there to see where he's going mid cycle with no insulin. If you don't happen to be there, it's no big deal since this is just about data rather than safety. :)

83. Djamila

Yeah, Coby! And so glad you slept well last night! You and Coby had certainly earned some good rest after the past few days!

Rachel and PPCW like this.
  84. Yong & Maury GA

:woot::D

85. Djamila

He got a 52 and a 61 all on his own! :woot:! He didn't just run down the dosing scale, he jumped right off of it!

Yong & Maury GA and PPCW like this.
  86. PPCW

PPCW Member

Good morning!

BG levels have been low since yesterday morning. So that's the good news. Not so great is that he is suddenly very picky about his wet food. He wants dry kibbles :arghh:. I guess he remembered the dry kibbles I gave during that hypo event a couple of days ago. Not willing to eat (but still eating some) the wet since yesterday afternoon. Since he is not on insulin, I don't have to worry about hypo but it is just, well, annoying o_O now that I am starting to worry about his BG being on the low side. Isn't it ironic?

I am going to leave the food out all day today so he can eat it whenever he wants (and realizes there is NO dry kibble). Hopefully Cory and Cody don't finish it all :facepalm: before he gets to it. Stubborn cat....

87. Djamila

Lol...Sam does that too after a hypo. After his most recent one, he started actually faking his hypo symptoms to try to get some kibble out of me. Clever kitty. All he got was a few extra tests though, so he finally gave up and went back to his regular food. Made me re-think my hypo strategy: might not be so good to remind him that kibble exists. Don't worry about the numbers being too low. He's doing great. Hopefully he'll get back to eating well for you soon!

88. PPCW

PPCW Member

Haha, clever kitty! I knew one slip up will give me some problems :rolleyes:.

ETA: it is less 2 hours since I left the food out, the kitten has eaten EVERYTHING!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  89. Yong & Maury GA

Just wow :woot:. *paws crossed* as a certain trial might be taking place (antijinxing):D

PPCW likes this.
  90. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Try crumbling some treats on top of it? That's a sure fire trick around here to get them eating when they go off food for any reason!

PPCW and Kris & Teasel like this.
  91. PPCW

PPCW Member

I have been researching treats this afternoon. I think a lot people here give their fur balls freeze dried liver. Want to give that a try. I also have a bag of Primal freeze-dried nuggets (never tried before). May be I can crunch that up and sprinkle on top of the food. He started to eat more @ +6 and finished almost the entire 3-0z can just now.

Should I get some slightly higher carb food? The BG is really on the low side. Can't believe I am saying this now and just some time ago, it is all low carb, no carb....

92. Yong & Maury GA

What's his BG? Since he was NS tonight and insulin should be out of his system, he shouldn't hypo so I'd hate to see you carb him up :)

93. PPCW

PPCW Member

He has been low all day. PMPS was 45. Going to test again @+3.

94. Yong & Maury GA

Guessing he's holding his own. I have to get to bed, Patricia :oops:. You should sleep well tonight :)

PPCW likes this.
  95. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh!!! That was the cycle of a non-diabetic cat you had! I'm so excited to see what you get this morning!

PPCW likes this.
  96. Yong & Maury GA

That's partially why I was trying to hang in, curious :smuggrin:. Now I'm worried because I don't see updates lol

PPCW likes this.
  97. PPCW

PPCW Member

Good morning!

I did a +3 last night. The new blue test strip was 42 and the last old blue test strip was 60 o_O. So I ordered the original strips immediately last night.

Since I am out of the old ones, this morning I used the new and the AMPS is 59.

I even started studying Dr. Lisa's food chart to see which food with 5% carb I should buy :p. Also slept on the sofa so I can feed him when I woke up!

98. Yong & Maury GA

:woot::D!

99. Djamila

Wow...it's so incredible to see him holding those low numbers all on his own!!! You've done such a great job of taking care of him!

PPCW likes this.
  100. PPCW

PPCW Member

Very proud of Coby! Of course he probably just doesn't want to get poked as often :D.

He is eating better now after realizing no dry kibbles for him. I hid the container with the kibbles in a different room. Out of sight, out of mind!

Now fingers and paws crossed that this low BG number will continue.

Coby and I thank you all for your kindness and support :cat:. I know many more millions of my cells would have died without FDMB :kiss::bighug::):cat:.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.