Update:I got a second test this morning!! Mallie’s first home test!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mom23seniors, Dec 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mom23seniors

mom23seniors Member

I was able to get a reading tonight on Mallie with my Bravo monitor.
    She was sooooo good, she just sat in my lap (at the kitchen table) and was purring and didn’t mind the 5 or 6 pokes I had to do to get enough blood.
    I ended up poking her on the inside of the ear where there was less fur. I don’t have any ointment in my house ‍♀️ to keep the blood from being soaked up by the fur, so the inside of the ear work well.

I’ve tested my blood on the Bravo (and on the OneTouch Ultra Mini I got from my coworker this week) and 2 out of the 3 readings there was a 0.1 difference between the two numbers. The other time there was a 0.9 difference (the bravo being lower) between my two numbers. It seems that the OneTouch Ultra needs a bigger sample. I’m going to keep testing myself until I feel confident that I’m getting consistent results.

Mallie’s reading was 21.5.

I cried happy tears that I was able to get a reading. I’m so happy that I was able to do it!

We have our appointment tomorrow at our new vet’s office in the afternoon and I’m so happy that I’ll have at least one number to give him. I’m going to try again tomorrow in the morning before work. Having two numbers would be awesome! 71431956-3626-4CE3-BFBE-D1F3A9169015.jpeg

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Good Job! Congratulations and welcome to the Vampire Club! :p

Sounds like Mallie is a very co-operative chill kitty which certainly helps make the process a little easier. You'll get the pokes down in short order and as you test Mallie will grow more capillaries in her ears making it easier to get a sample.

No two meters will read exactly the same. Best idea is to pick the meter you are most comfortable with and stick with it. Comparing them can drive you a little crazy given there is a 15% variance allowance for meters in Canada.

Good luck at the vet appt.

3. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Awesome job on the first test!!!! It does make it so much easier when you have a cooperative patient :cat: Wish mine would take some notes! :p

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

5. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

Keep up the good work!! You and her will get the routine down in no time and your confidence level will sky rocket!! Hope she stays safe today.

mom23seniors likes this.
  6. mom23seniors

mom23seniors Member

I just wanted to update that I was able to get a second number this morning. 11 hours from last nights number.

Mallie was 21.6 this morning.

I also got numbers on my two boys (both 13 years old) and Tony was 5.4 and Theo was 4.1.

I’m so happy to have 2 numbers for Mallie to give the vet today. I’ll update tonight after our appointment.

Hope everyone and their sugarcats have a great day!

7. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.