Update Jules & Mars and question on Torbutol

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cjleo, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjleo

cjleo Member

Hi all,

I went to Maine to pick up Jules who has been vacationing from the shelter at Deborah's home. He is a 5 year old giant of a cat - a tabby tiger who was started on Lantus 2u back in June of 2009. He was surrendered to a shelter in March on 6 u of Lantus bid. He is now as of this past week "OTJ." He is adoptable, a beautiful young male.

On the way back, I picked up Mars. He is all black and has striking gold/copper eyes. He is not quite 5 years old, recovering from a couple of puncture wounds suffered in a fight. He was diagnosed on Saturday during the treatment for his wounds. He was not put on insulin, just DM (yuck). He needs warm compresses on his wounds.

The vet prescribed 1 mg bid of Torbutol for 2 weeks. Isn't this a long time for this pain med? He doesn't seem to have any appetite. I will syringe feed him tonight if he hasn't eaten.

So I have quite the population explosion at my house.

Any one looking for a cat in remission? Let me know. My guess is I may have two.

Claudia

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

he length of time a cat is on pain meds depend upon the reason for the meds. Based on the puncture wounds, two weeks seems too long. However, the bid dosing is probably not frequently enough. One entry in Plumb's says every 6-8 hours orally and another tid.

3. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Don't worry, it's a placebo. The dose is way too low and too infrequent to actually matter :) Is he on antibiotics? If he's not eating, he may need medical attention. With this bizarre use of torb I am worried he hasn't gotten a good workup and treatment plan.

4. cjleo

cjleo Member

Jess,

Thanks for checking in. I was going to discontinue the torbutol. I had read it was for 12 - 24 hour use.

He was seen by a vet on Saturday. They sedated him, shaved him and cleaned the wounds. I only have invoices to go on. The records are coming...

He had Covenia so he is covered by an antibiotic. The home care sheet says warm compresses tid for 5 minutes. We also have a problem of a change in food.. They were feeding dry only. Vet gave them DM which he didn't like (duh). I put down FF and Evo mixed. He stil hasn't eaten. He has not been started on insulin. they weren't given anything but the DM.

I just syringed about 15 mls of Evo canned, He didn't fight with me til the last couple of mls. I will try some more later. Hopefully, I will get a BG at that point.

Thanks,

Claudia

5. cjleo

cjleo Member

Mars is eating on his own this morning and seems more comfortable. Besides the wounds, he is scared and in unfamiliar territory with a stranger. I keep talking softly to him and telling him he will be fine.

Jules, on the other hand, is ready to go. He is full of energy and quite a playful, inquisitive diet controlled tabby tiger. Anyone interested????

Claudia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.