? ***Update (no injection given) 11/26 Baby: Beginning Levemir (Dosing Advice)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole & Baby, Nov 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hello all! We are likely strangers here in the forum because we are old timers!! Hugs, light & love to all of you & FURbabies too!!

Baby began Lantus in January 2010 & was a little lucky duck to get OTJ within months!! Unfortunately it only lasted 8 months & we began juicing again.

Now after many years on Lantus we are beginning Levemir with goal of less bouncing.

Levemir arrived 3 days early & so we will begin a new chapter this evening!!

Wanted to say hello & if anybody has any dosing advice? She is currently on 1.5 units BID.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good luck on the new Levemir journey! Normally we suggest a started Lev dose of 0.7 of the Lantus dose, as some cats have quite strong reactions to the change. You may or may not end up near the Lantus dose. 0.7 of 1.5 would put the dose at 1.0 of Levemir HOWEVER, I noticed that the increase from 1.25 to done with less than 6 cycles at the dose needed to build the depot and you haven't gotten night tests in on the 1.25 or 1.5 unit doses. And 1.25 units got her to the 40's jsut a week ago. So, I think I'd recommend a 0.75 units Lev dose to start, for safety's sake. I would also do it when you've got a couple cycles in a row where you can do some extra monitoring, just in case Baby decides she's one of those that likes the change.

Nicole & Baby likes this.
  3. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

I agree with Wendy on the .75u. Not sure why you're increasing her so quickly. The 1.25 got her to 29 on 11/18. You test a lot but please be careful.

4. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

No advice, just wishing you and Baby the best of luck with the switch to Levemir. You got this! ❤

5. Nicole & Baby

@Doodles & Karen that is why I am here
    .. I am asking. If I had made mistakes in the past, I apologize .. as she is my baby & my priority. The answer to your question would be because I was wrong.

Thank you @Wendy&Neko!! :bighug:

6. Nicole & Baby

thank yoU (((Sherry)))

7. Nicole & Baby

thank yoU (((Wendy)))

8. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

We've all made mistakes and I do all the time. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I don't have any dose advice, but sending love to you Sadi and Baby! :bighug: I remember her first dose of Lantus well ❤️

10. Nicole & Baby

thank you doll!! <3

11. Nicole & Baby

thank you for your support!!

12. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

J.D. was never well regulated, but he was one of the ones that had a response to the new insulin. He changed to Levemir on 07/09/10. See the difference in is spreadsheet at that time.

13. Nicole & Baby

thank you will look!!

14. Nicole & Baby

unfortunately Baby will not eat & is showing sings of nausea so I will not be shooting Lev tonight. I have given Pepcid AC & we will see what tomorrow brings. I appreciate everyones' support .. it means a lot.

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sending lots of tummy vines. Good plan not starting Lev tonight. If Baby decides she's one of those flat cats on Lev, you may find it easier to shoot when their appetite is off. Neko's given me lots of practice lately on that. :rolleyes:

16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I agree with the observations that others have made. You want to reduce Baby's dose by 30% when you start Lev. I'd also encourage you to strictly adhere to the TR protocol until you know how Baby responds to Lev. This could be very different than Lantus given the difference in when onset and nadir occur. You will need to figure that out all over again.

17. Nicole & Baby

thank you @Sienne and Gabby (GA) & @Wendy&Neko agree completely .. am looking at this as i have never seen insulin before. thank you both .. I gave some anti nausea & vet has agreed to give RX tomorrow if need be.

Will update as soon as possible & appreciate everyone's support. Always.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.