Update of Cyrus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by heatherj932, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatherj932

heatherj932 Member

Hello All,

THANK YOU for all of the prayers!! Before I took Cyrus in, he went to use the potty-he went a small amount, nothing outside of the litter box. Ok, fine-still took him. He was in such a great mood. I must mention that Cyrus got his first Lion cut last Thursday. My husband and I are both allergic to cats, so the vet said this would help. Plus, Cyrus has horrible sanitary habits and he was getting matted in his man area. Anyway, the vet felt Cyrus' body and said that his kidneys feel perfect....he asked me what size litter box I use, I told him the standard square kind. He went on to say that I need a bigger litter box, that he thinks Cyrus was "leaking over". Then the vet gave me a 3ft x 3ft pan and told me to try it. I came home, filled it up. Cyrus went in, got right up to the edge and if it were not for the high sides, he would have peed over the side. Which explains what has been happening in the small litterbox. The vet is going to do a full panel bloodwork in 2 weeks. He wants Cyrus to be more regulated....he only wants me to have to pay for the panel once. The vet seemed pretty darn certain that since Cyrus is now shaved, and no longer has hair in that area, it's kinda going in every direction. I watched him tonight, and it's true, it kinda just went further than before.

On another note, I tested Cyrus bg and it was at 318 PMps. I went ahead and gave him 2 u. I will be keeping a close eye on him. I really hope I can get those numbers regulated!!

Thank you again to all of you wonderful people!! I hope that I can relax a bit now :smile:

Heather & Cyrus

2. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

that would be awesome if all that's needed is a litterbox adjustment :smile:

I have to use a covered box for Odie because he doesn't think he needs to squat to pee (or he starts squatting and then gradually stands... it was making a mess with an uncovered box.

Fingers crossed that everything turns out alright and that his BG numbers come back down soon.

Odiesmom

3. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

That even makes me breathe a sigh of relief. :) I have 3 large boxes, and 1 smaller one. Unfortunately, even Blackie will pee over the little one against the wall (it's between the boxes and one of the bathrooms), so I put a couple of towels between the boxes and the wall, and when someone soils them, in the washer they go, and I replace with new ones.

I'm glad that it was a very positive outcome for you, your husband and for Cyrus. :) Please keep us posted on what the panel shows.

4. Susan G and Tiger GA

Susan G and Tiger GA Member

we use large boxes from lowe's that cement can be mixed in, sides are not too high, and rounded corners makes for easier clean up! good news on cyrus!

5. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Heather, I am sorry you went through all that worry with Cyrus, but glad he is doing better now! I hope you can get his numbers down and you see more regulation. Please keep us posted, okay?

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

When Rusty (Maine coon) came to live with us, we had to get bigger litter boxes. (he is BIG and also stands up to pee)

We got two of these and cut a hole in the side from about 6 inches off the floor to the top (about 9" diameter). Filled with ~4" of litter and use with no lid.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_314141-61896-31 ... talPages=3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.