Update on Autumn's burned foot

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debra & CB (GA) & Gang, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debra & CB (GA) & Gang

Debra & CB (GA) & Gang Member

This morning I had to go to work, so when I checked Autumn's foot I now see that another pad, one of the little ones, near the outside of her foot, also must have gotten burned. The skin has peeled off it. The burn on the middle pad looked kinda nasty, red and oozing. I wanted dh to go ahead and call the emergency number for my vet and to take her in for treatment, but he didn't want to do that. So.........when I got off work I went to Petsmart and bought a bitter type spray. They don't have bitter apple, they carry a spray called "bitter YUCK!" Yeah, weird, eh? Anyway, I got home and found Autumn asleep in our bathroom, so I checked her foot. It actually seems to be a bit better than it was this morning. The middle pad isn't as red as it was this morning, little if any oozing at all too. The little pad that the skin peeled off from doesn't look too bad either. I'm going to try this evening to put some more of that silver ointment on those pads and wrap it up again. I'll spray the bandage with that bitter yuck too and hope that she'll leave it on long enough for that ointment to have time to work in. I'm keeping an eye on her, and if it appears to make any changes for the worse I myself will call my vet and take her in. For now though, she's sore and resting.

2. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

poor autumn. hope she feels better soon. donna

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers she heals quickly. Poor lil boo boo.

4. Debra & CB (GA) & Gang

Well, another pad is showing signs of peeling, so we've taken her in to see my vet. (Have I said how much I love my vet!) Autumn has 2nd degree burns on at least both the middle pad and the lateral one, possibly more pads may be involved. My vet has cleaned her foot well, debrided the pads, and has given us pain meds for Autumn. She actually has decided to not wrap it, because Autumn just fights it being wrapped so much that it's not worth upsetting her so much. Instead, we're to try and keep it as clean as possible, washing it well with warm water and a very gentle non-irritating soap, using cotton balls and q-tips twice daily, and whenever we see her coming out of the litter box. Also, she wants me to continue using that silver ointment 3 times (or more) daily, rubbing it in gently and then simply holding her for 5 - 10 minutes. She feels that leaving it unwrapped will allow it to air well and heal without the possibility of Autumn hurting herself further fighting to remove wrappings. Let's hope that this dear little tortie heals quickly!

5. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good plan...and I'm sorry she got herself burned on her paws. Silvadene is what we use on people for burns and abrasions, and is really, really effective. I've used it on my horse when he got abraded a few times, too. So you're on the right track.

But be very, very diligent about keeping that litter box cleaned...infections are nasty when they come in a burned area. Just very nasty.

Keep us posted, all right?

Best-
    Michele

6. Debra & CB (GA) & Gang

I will, ty! I just feel so much better now that my vet has had a chance to look at her foot and got it treated. We'll be keeping a very close eye on the burns and keeping them as clean as possible. At the first sign of anything I'll definitely be taking her back in, don't want her to suffer any more insult to an already damaged area!

7. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

I somehow missed the post that Autumn had burned herself - I'm so sorry that she was injured - and so sorry that she's going through this. It sounds like it's beginning to heal now - hopefully so.

I'm sending many, many healing vibes your way and hope that your little tortie is okay very soon.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.