911 Update on Benjamin - in ER - DKA

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ben's Mom, Dec 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben's Mom

Ben's Mom New Member

History - Ben was diagnosed on Monday. He was brought to the vet yesterday to start insulin as I am in FL to be with my dad for the holiday. (Ben's in Los Angeles, where we live.)

Since I didn't have a sitter who could be there 24/7, it took us until Monday night to realize he wasn't eating, hence boarding at the vet.

When he got to the vet, he was lethargic and had gone into DKA. They gave him fluids and insulin, and this morning his blood sugar is normal.

But he's still lethargic and is showing signs of jaundice, so they are running tests. They say his chances are still 50/50 for the moment until they run those tests.

He ate a bit last night from their hand but other than that there isn't much interest in food.

All I want to do is go home, but I had to leave my dad last Christmas for a sick kitty and it's a tricky situation. He of course doesn't really get it. I know where I feel I should be, it just might take some doing for me to get there.

Has anyone else had a baby in a similar situation? I'm in a near panic in my hotel at Disney world.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

They're probably concerned about hepatic lipidosis if he's jaundiced. Are they giving him antinausea meds and possibly an appetite stimulant to get him to eat? Are his urine ketone numbers still high?

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to read this, and feel so badly for you. Healing energies on the way to Ben in LA, huge comforting hugs to you in Florida. At least he's at the vet getting good care, please take comfort in that. Try to enjoy being with your dad, as much as you can. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for sweet Ben. I’m glad you were able to get him to the vet. Please try not to worry too much (I know easier said...) Keep us posted:bighug:

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Best wishes for a quick recovery

6. Ben's Mom

Ben's Mom New Member

Thank you all.

He vomited earlier so they just have him on anti nausea for now, but are considering appetite stimulants as well.

He's on antibiotics, fluids, glucose. They do believe it's pancreatitis and he's getting a plasma transfusion now.

My friend went to see him today and she said he looked like a normal healthy kitty, just drugged. She was talking to him and the only thing he responded to were my nicknames for him. Once she said those, he opened his eyes wide and even sat up.

I'll be home in less than 24 hours. I'm just praying he holds on so he knows I'm there.

Waiting for vet to call with another update.

7. Sharon14

Glad you’re going to get to be with him. That will help perk him up I’m sure! DKA and pancreatitis are both tough issues, but with proper care Ben can recover. Please keep us posted and we have several people here that have dealt with these issues and they can help answer any questions you have.

8. Ben's Mom

Ben's Mom New Member

The vet just said his temp is down to 94 and his BP is low. He's unable to regulate either.

I'm terrified he's going to pass while I'm flying home. I just want him to know I didn't abandon him.

9. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

I'm sorry that you and Ben have to go through this. It's a tough situation that can come about suddenly. It's great that you were able to get him to the vet, and that they could consequently get his glucose levels down. Those are very good first steps. Hopefully they can keep it up. Wishing him a speedy and effective recovery :bighug:

10. Sharon14

:bighug: Sending prayers for Ben. He knows you love him

11. Hogan

Hogan Member

My heart is breaking for you. We are all sending you well wishes. I'm sure your sweet boy knows you haven't abandoned him.

12. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Oh sweetie, paws crossed that Ben is going to rally and be waiting for you to get there and call him his pet names yourself. We are all thinking of you and Ben, sending healing energies, healing vines, prayers, everything we have to offer. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending many prayers and hoping Ben rallies. He knows you haven't abandoned him.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Kris & Teasel

Sending healing energy to you and Ben. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

16. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Keeping you and Ben in my thoughts and prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Martica and Fred likes this.
  17. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Sara and Mr. Kitty Member

Sending healing your way :bighug:

Martica and Fred likes this.
  18. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

Just wondering why they can't syringe feed him or giving him IV calories...? Prayers for you.

19. Kris & Teasel

Cats don't do well with IV calories, aside from IV glucose used when they're in a full on hypo. What can save them, though, if they just won't eat and meds aren't helping is a feeding tube. One type enters the esophagus via the throat (e tube)and another goes through the body wall into the stomach (Peg tube). I think e tubes are more commonly used now. Many years ago I had a kitty with a Peg tube. It took her three weeks to start eating normally on her own. The tube was a life saver and a lot less daunting to deal with than you might think.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Sharon14 and Martica and Fred like this.
  20. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

Yes, I am aware of those feeding tubes, although have never used one. I wonder why the vets didn't do that immediately when he wasn't eating.... Since I have not talked to my friend, not sure what exactly transpired. But my guess is that she was perhaps told of the option of a feeding tube and decided against it, thinking she couldn't do it since she works 9-6ish. I could have helped of course, but I know it's a ton of work.

21. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Thinking of you and Ben.:bighug:

22. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

Sending thoughts to you and Ben!

23. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Any update on Ben? :(

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  24. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

I’m in Los Angeles as well! Please keep us updated and let me know if I can help at all. Sending so much love your way!

25. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Oh god bless, prayers for you and your baby.. I can't even imagine. :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.