Update on Hugo, weekend at the animal hospital

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tiina and Hugo, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiina and Hugo

Tiina and Hugo Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I have written an update on my Hugo. All in all, he has been doing well until recently. I believe that last time I told about him having an echocardiogram done due to a detected heart murmur. Well it's been 8 months since that was done and I was planning on taking him to a new one as soon as the holidays were over, but last Thursday when we were at the summer cottage he started breathing really fast and was really lethargic. Finland has been dealing with expectionally hot weather for weeks and it was really hard on Hugo. He was mainly resting on the floor and looked uncomfortable, but was still his normal self and I was able to get him to eat his LC foods and control his BG. Now suddenly he refused to eat and his BG was higher than in a long time.

I was panicking and thinking where I can take him that has a 24hr vet, since it was starting to get late on a Friday evening and going towards the weekend. At this point, Hugo looked bad. He couldn't even walk anymore. Finally I found an animal hospital that was a little over an hour away and called them and was told to bring him in immediately. So off we went.

At the hospital they gave him oxygen, put him in a drip and drew blood and took a chest x-ray. It showed that he had fluid build up in his lungs, which explained the fast breathing. They started him on diuretics and told me Hugo would need to stay the night. I thought this would be the end of him, there was no way he would be able to get back on his feet. The clinic didn't have his insulin so they gave him none. I was upset about it, but I couldn't drive back and forth to bring it.

Next day they called to pick him up and told me his lungs looked slightly better now and he had eaten a little. They said it is likely he is in heart failure. :( I had already booked him a new echo for Tuesday. Back at the cottage, he wouldn't eat anything and his BG was high. I tried syringe feeding, but it's hard to syringe feed and then try to control the BG. I didn't even have appropriate foods that wouldn't get stuck in the syringe. Luckily he started to eat a little on his own.

Fastforwarding to Tuesday when he had his echo. It revealed what I feared that his heart is worse. The heart muscle is unevenly thickened and his left atrium is enlarged. The aortic valve is leaky. The prognosis is not good, since he already had an episode of pulmonary edema. I was told if it came back, he would need to be euthanized. I'm heartbroken! How can things go so bad, so fast. Now he is getting two meds to control the hypertension, a diuretic and a medicine to prevent a blood clot.

I'm having a hard time getting him to eat appropriate foods. He doesn't want them and would only eat high carb foods. So now I have increased his dose to 2u. I have even had to give him dry food to coax him to eat. Maybe it doesn't matter at this point. The breathing is now better and I count his breaths twice a day. He breaths about 30 times per minute. Other than that, he is tired. I'm having a hard time accepting this, but I know I have no choice. Just to love him and help him be comfortable. :(

2. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about Hugo's situation and glad he's home with you where he can receive the best care and love. Sending healing vines your way and hugs!! :bighug::bighug:

Tiina and Hugo likes this.
  3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

:(
    Sending vines and hugs...so sorry to hear this sad news...poor baby Hugo...
    :bighug::bighug:

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Tiina I'm so sorry. At this point just feed him what he will eat and adjust the insulin. You're right that you just need to make him as comfortable as you can. I know it is not easy, but just try to focus on the day at hand and not think about tomorrow. Make the most of each day and love on him. He doesn't know he is sick. He just knows you love him and is being his loving self. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

In tears reading this, I am so sorry to hear it. You must have been so scared on that long drive to the ER vet. I hope he starts eating better for you. Many hugs and vines your way.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. Try hard to take it a day at a time while you keep him comfortable. :(:bighug::bighug:

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Tiina, so sorry you are having to go through the issue of heart conditions. :bighug: I found the heart the scariest of all to deal with. I presume he is on Plavix (chlopidogrel) as the clot prevention and Lasix (furosemide) as the diuretic? Did the cardiologist say anything about a drug called Vetmedin (pimomedin). It really helped Neko and gave her another 6 months. It doesn't work for all heart conditions though.

For food, eating is the most important, though look for low salt if you can.

Spoil him, and love on him.

Dyana and Amanda & Shmee like this.
  8. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

love,light and healing:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

10. Tiina and Hugo

Thank you ❤️ Yes Furosemide (Furovet) and Chlopidogrel are the ones he is getting. And also amlopidin and another hypertension med. It's brand name is Nelio Vet. We didn't talk about Vetmedin though. If all goes well, I should take him back in A month for a check up. But we take it one day at a time. It's very hard for me. I guess it's true that a bond with a sugar cat is even stronger.

11. Tiina and Hugo

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. :bighug::( This is such a tough time for me.

12. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

13. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm so sorry... It's never easy to get this kind of diagnosis, but he's only 9yrs old... :( :( :(

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: to you. Love him and spoil him (high carb? as long as it is heart-appropriate, go for it!). Take it day by day...

14. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Love, light and peace. Love him like no tomorrow and let him eat cake if that is what he wants. Heck, you can have some cake too.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Tina, I am so sorry to read what is happening with Hugo. Sending lots and lots of vines. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

(((Tiina))), I am very sorry that Hugo is sick and hope that the various meds will help him to feel better. One day at a time is the best way to proceed. We are sending lots of prayers and vines for your boy.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:s for you and scritches for Hugo,

17. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Here are some healing food vines for your poor kitteh. I hope he is feeling better after the hospital visit. Maybe these vines will help him eat.
    food vines.JPG

18. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Tiina))) I’m so sorry for this dx and Hugo’s current condition. I wish you did not have the heartbreak of watching him feel so bad. You’re such a great mom to him and I know your bond is strong. You are doing the best by just giving him tons of love and cherishing the bond you have.

19. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Tiina}}}

I'm so sorry to hear that Hugo is having a tough time. I agree with everyone one else here - just keep him comfy and love on him. Feed him what he wants and adjust the insulin accordingly. This is a very difficult time for you, but try to enjoy being with him and know that he trusts you to do what is best for him. Please keep us posted on how he is doing. We care. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

20. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Kia Ora from New Zealand.
    We never met yet but I'm meeting you now and giving you the biggest of hugs from all across the miles.
    I read about the astonishing weather up your way and the fires.

Yup.
    Comfy and love. Love and comfy .
    Love and comfy . Comfy and love.

That goes for you too. Be kind to you & I wish you many many more days.

He's beautiful.

21. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Oh (((((Tiina))))) I am so sorry to be reading this about Hugo. What a scary time for you to watch your boy not feel well. I agree with Carla to let him eat what every he will and just keep him comfortable. Sending you and Hugo lots of vines of comfort.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

Many vines for Hugo, I always liked the avatar pic. Love him like you always have, he doesn't know what you do. Many vines for him to start feeling a bit better.
    I did the same when my boy wasn't eating. Like you are doing, you can give more insulin to counteract the carbs and calories are important.

Hugs for you and thoughts for Hugo:bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.