Update on Libby - Thanks so much!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by libbysmom202, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libbysmom202

libbysmom202 New Member

So I've been too busy to update you all, but I'm happy to report that Libby has improved thanks to the information I received on this website. So when I first arrived here she had been newly diagnosed as diabetic, through my observations of her polydipsia and polyuria along with her constant hunger. I took her to the vet and her sugar level was 391 so she agreed she had diabetes and wanted to put her on glucagon. I decided after doing some research and finding this great board that I wanted to try diet modification first. Libby is almost 12 and was 17.9 lbs. After 3 1/2 weeks on fancy feast, much to the dismay of the vet who wanted her on diabetic cat food she sells, and no other intervention she lost .9 lbs and her fructosamine level dropped to 293. She said that they like their fructosamine levels between 191-349, so Libby was at a good level.

The vet said she was amazed she said Libby is the first cat she has ever see respond to just diet modification. She said that since her polydipsia and polyuria had improved and she was more active and doing better with her grooming she just wanted me to keep up the good work and watch her. We will be returning in a week or so for another round of testing.

Libby seems to have lost a little more weight, which can't hurt her, but she is more active and seems happier. We are feeding her 1/2 a can of fancy feast 3 times a day, but I'm going to add a little more to raise her up to 2 cans a day. I'm not sure how much she should be eating, since she has never eaten canned food before. She doesn't seem hungry, as she doesn't eat all the food in one sitting when I feed her. She also has no problem being vocal and telling me when she is hungry. She will sit down by her bowls and meow when its time to eat! Any suggestions?

I want to thank everyone who offered me some great advice and helped me improve my lovely Libby's life!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Cat Info has some good info on weight management.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.