Update on Max (2005-2019)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Giomax, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Giomax

Giomax Member

Hey, all. It's been awhile since I've been on here but I wanted to make an official post.

Max passed away a few weeks ago on May 5th.

He was just getting worse and worse and nothing was helping. He had ultrasounds and xrays and all kinds of blood work and the vet never really suspected cancer, but I think it was either pancreatic cancer or intestinal lymphoma. The vet kept saying pancreatitis and IBD but he was on such a steady decline and not responding to any treatment so I think it had to be something bigger. We didn't do any biopsies because....well, what would the point have been? Cancer has no cure and the vet was very against putting him on any kind of chemo given his current state of health. He was skeletal, his tummy was bloated all the time, all he did was drink and pee and drink and pee (even with the insulin), he was anemic, could hardly walk due to neuropathy, and toward the end he flat out refused to eat. His last few days I had to syringe feed him a slurry I made which he hated. We tried anti-nausea, B12 injections, Zobaline, probiotics, buprenex for pain, appetite stimulants, anti-inflammatory and of course the insulin. Nothing seemed to help and I couldn't stand to watch my boy suffer anymore--to cry and tell me he was hungry and then turn around and refuse to eat. To watch him waste away. It broke my heart.

I called my vet and he made a house call and Max passed very peacefully in my room surrounded by love and familiarity. No car ride, no vet visit. We cuddled on my bed and he went off to sleep. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. He's buried now in a beautiful, green backyard and I've planted flowers and catnip all around him. I miss him so much every day and I wish we could've had more years together but I'm happy now that he's at peace.

Thanks so much for all of the advice and support you guys have given me. ♡♡

(P.S. please no posting about the "rainbow bridge" as I don't believe such a place exists and the whole idea has never made sense to me and doesn't bring me any kind of peace or comfort to think about. Thanks for understanding.)

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss and it was his time to leave. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for you. What a loss!! I remember your little Max as we joined about the same time! At least he passed away at home on your (his) bed with you near him; it was a calm and loving moment. He's not suffering anymore and is with you now and will always be. Nice that you could burry him in your garden!
    Thinking of you and Max :bighug: :bighug:

Giomax likes this.
  4. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you with love, Nikki.

5. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry to hear about Max. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Max’s burial site sounds lovely and beautiful.

6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Your dear Max died peacefully in your arms knowing that he was much loved.
    We are very sorry for your loss.

7. Moms2Tigger&Blu

Moms2Tigger&Blu Member

8. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Oh I am so sorry it was Max's time to leave you. Such a difficult decision to have to make. It was so obvious how much you loved that beautiful boy. My heart aches for the pain you are experiencing now. Hugs to you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss. It does sound like cancer. :bighug:

10. Joanne&TinySole

Joanne&TinySole Well-Known Member

You were a great cat parent and loved Max fully. In the end, that is the greatest gift anyone could give or receive. May your heart heal via the love and memories you shared. ❤❤❤

11. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I am sorry you has to say good bye to your dear friend. Sending you serenity and peace so the heart can heal.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Maymay

Maymay Member

I am so, so sorry for your loss. After you helped me, I've been following you and Max, and I know you made a tremendous effort and did all you could for him. It sounds like you made the right decision, and although I know it hurts terribly right now, I hope you can find peace in the knowledge that he had a good kitty life and many happy years being loved by you.

13. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear about Max, you did everything you could and then gave him the ultimate gift of love
    I wish you peace

14. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

So very sorry that it was Max's time.:bighug::bighug:

16. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I’m so very sorry you’ve lost your boy. You did the last loving act for him to set him free of his pain and suffering.
    What a great vet to come to your house. :bighug:

Giomax likes this.
  17. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for the your loss of your sweet little Max. :bighug:

18. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Very sorry for your loss of sweet Max. So nice your vet would come to you. I’m sure he knew how very much you loved him.

Giomax likes this.
  19. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. You gave Max such loving care, including the gentlest of goodbyes. Wishing you peace and comfort.:bighug:

Giomax likes this.
  20. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am so sorry you lost your beautiful boy Max. :bighug: May memories of better times with him help your pain.

21. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: