Update on Mom's cat Francis and Mom too!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Traci and Boomer, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone-

Francis has been OTJ for a few months now thanks to the help of Lantus and this board! His hyper-t is under control too. Apparently his BUN and creatinine (sp?) are up and her vet told mom that Francis may be in the begining stage of kidney disease. She will be giving him a med that she couldn't remember at the time of our phone call and the vet suggested special foods: royal canin and a prescription food for kidney issues. I will get the specifics when I talk to her again. I told her I'd ask about foods for cats with kidney disease - what does she need to look for on the food charts?

Also! And here's the shocker! She's got a computer now!!! My brother took pity on her! She's never used a message board before-doesn't even know what one is-but when she has some time she's gonna join the board!!!! Get ready everyone....Sharen and Francis are on their way to FDMB! :lol:

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Well, I would be cautious about prescription foods for early CRF.

Since Francis is now diet-controlled, you sure don't want to go back to a higher-carb food.

There is controversy about making cats eat low-protein foods for CRF.
    Some reserch shows that it is the phosphorous in food that is the greater
    problem, not the protein. Fish is high in phosphorous, so feed very little fish.

My Smokey had early CRF when I adopted him at age 14. I wanted to treat
    the CRF aggressively, which I did, but I never bought into those low-protein foods.

And for the 3-1/2 more years that Smokey was with me, his CRF progressed very little...
    we had other problems and he died of cancer.

I used Calcitriol, Daily fluids, quality low-carb, low-phosphorous foods, Pepcid AC (for nausea caused by dehydration),
    and in the last year of his life, we added a phosphorous binder to his food. Oh, and B-Vitamins.

3. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Traci-

Here's some posts on the topic I found on quick look. I thought I'd seen a food chart geared for CRf/FD kitties..if i can find it I will post.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14738&p=147577&hilit=crf food charts#p147577

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15037&p=150271&hilit=crf kitties#p150271

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8129&p=81095&hilit=crf kitties#p81095

I just want to say how glad I am to see you. I've been thinking about you & Boomer all week and wondering how you are. My heart just broke over this. We were all GUm trial-mates together w/ Boom Boom & hank & will always be connected. I've just wanted to hug you all week...
    Am so glad we got to have his OTJ party.

BTW, I try to keep low phosphorous for hank too with food due to past urinary issues. It's a challenge to find things to meet all the above, plus that they will eat. Just lots of experimenting.

Great that you Mom is going to join...we'll be watching for her. It's great you are helping her with francis.

oooo's :YMHUG: :YMHUG:
    betty

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Witn had both CRF and diabetes. I did not feed her any prescription foods. She at almost all of the flavors of Friskies Special Diet canned foods. She was on this diet for several years and it helped keep her diabetes under control and also her kidney values were stable.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy to see Francis is still doing well.

My Sydney was diagnosed with early kidney disease. And of course the vet said special food - low protein, low phosphorus, etc. I said, bleck to all that and here's what I'm doing to treat her.

She's not on any meds - as it's not needed now.

I continue to feed the low carb canned and raw foods as usual. I do look for foods that are lower in phosphorus - 250 or less per the charts and I continue to add lots of water to the food.

So, honestly, nothing much has changed. I rarely if ever give them fish flavors and now I stick with beef and poultry. I am using the Friskies special diet - turkey & giblet flavor and beef & chicken only. EVO 95%, Nature's Logic - chicken, duck (rabbit not a hit here), and homemade raw food.

6. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies-

Thanks so much for all the info! When mom called she was all frazzled and I said "don't worry ma, I'll ask the board what to do and I'll get you a quick answer" and I did!

As far as her joining the board she still hasn't because I have to get on the phone with her and guide her through the process!!! So who knows when she'll be on here and then actually posting messages. When that happens it will be a miracle. :lol: Does anyone live in CT who'd want to go teach a nice lady how to use the internet? :lol: nailbite_smile She won't complain or have too many questions, I promise. :roll:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.