Update on Sabastian-Food Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sabastian, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabastian

sabastian New Member

I took Sabastian to the vet after he had a low bs (12) last weekend. He spent the night, and they did a curve on him. The vet said his bg never got above 250. She gave him no insulin (humilin n) while he was there. She said I need to start giving him 1 unit in the am and 1 unit in the pm. She thinks he could be going through a remission of some sort. I did change his food about a month ago from Iams to Authority. Iams had pulled there canned food from the shelf due to some sort of safety thing .
    I am wondering if diet change could of put him into a "honeymoon" stage. The vet mentioned putting him on a dry diabetic rx food. I am not too keen on the idea. I would like to get him off dry altogether. What do you feed your diabetic cat? Dry? Soft? Suggestions on brands??

2. RuBee

RuBee Member

Hey there! Might the prescription diet your vet is talking about be Hill's M/D or possibly Royal Canin Diabetic DS? (They're the only ones I know of, to be honest). Rufus' vet wanted him on the M/D canned... until my mother shared Janet & Binky's food list findings with her. We eventually discovered a preference (Rufus' and ours) of Merrick's Cowboy Cookout.

The Merrick is a little more expensive (and may be harder to find depending on your location) than what you might find in your grocery store, or a large chain like PetSmart, but I've found it to be a great diet for Rufus. On Cowboy Cookout his "leavings" in the litter box are perfectly normal. Most other foods give him an upset stomach!

I think you'll see a lot of the members use a particular formulation of Fancy Feast canned foods - that should be as easy as waltzing down the pet aisle in your favorite grocery store.

I hope a lot of other people chime in here so you have some good ideas, but in the meantime - why don't you head on over to the felinediabetes.com diet subpage and read up on those wonderful sources?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.