Update on Sasha in Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by seamist, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seamist

seamist Member

Thank you to all for your advice and support. I tried twice this morning to get Sasha's blood glucose. Both times he bled just fine, but the Contour Meter gave me a not enough blood error. I am now out of test strips. I am going to try a different meter.

Sasha seems to be feeling good. I know he is bored, because he wants to go outside but it is too cold. I would like to wait until it is above freezing to let him out. Also, the vet said not to let him outside until his diabetes is well managed, as he could have a problem and not come home.

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

When you shop for a different meter, check the amount of blood needed and also for "Sipping Action" strips

0.3 microliters is a nice tiny blood drop - the packages usually have a picture of the blood drop size needed, and mention a number like 0.3, 0.5, 1.0 or even 3.0 microliters.

Sipping action strips suck in the blood drop on the end of the strip - the other kind requires the drop to be dripped into a little box on top of the strip (harder to do from a cat's ear or paw)

The Sipping action strip meters are sometimes also listed as "Approved for Alternate Site Testing"

As far as letting Sasha out --- if just for short jaunts (10-30 minutes), it would probably be ok. If out for hours - yes - a possible problem.

Exercise reduces blood sugar, so hunting outside for hours could result in a HYPO-glycemic event and Sasha might not make it home (assuming Sasha is getting insulin injections).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.