update on Scoop's diet change

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by christine + scoop, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christine + scoop

christine + scoop Member

So we began giving the cats a wet food snack last week - still 2 meals of dry food - so we actually increased their carb intake for a week. Last night was his first night without a dry food meal, wet food only. His AMPS with dry food was 368, his PMPS with his wet food meal was 364. TODAY his AMPS was 93! Holy cow! He had a dry food breakfast so I am anxious to see where this is going! Yay Scoop!

Another question - those who order from canadadrugsonline - did you need to send in an RX from your vet?

Thanks everyone for getting my boys (and girl) off that crappy dry food!

2. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the numbers! That's a good low number. :)

I think, though, if you kept Scoop on the wet only diet, and took him right off the dry stuff, you may see better numbers, and perhaps have less insulin needed in the syringes. The dry stuff is full of carbs, and makes his BG's go off the charts. Mind you, it depends on what the dry stuff is, too. I'm not sure, but I think there may be a dry food out there that's low in carbs. I could be wrong, though.

3. christine + scoop

christine + scoop Member

It's a low carb dry food. I don't want to switch him over fully yet - I am a firm believer in slow and steady wins the race when it comes to diet changes. I am giving him a few more days to nurse him off the dry food rather than quit cold turkey.

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

so did you give insulin at that number?

5. christine + scoop

christine + scoop Member

I called my vet and she said it was OK to give 2u. I am going to check him again in a little bit.

6. Jen & Squeak

Not a good idea!

No it is not ok to give insulin at that number! You shouldn't be giving insulin unless 200 or over until you get more data...93 is a nondiabetic number, and you could cause him to become hypoglycemic by giving him 2 units at that number! Are you around to keep checking? Remind us what insulin you are giving?

7. Jen & Squeak

8. christine + scoop

christine + scoop Member

he's 111 now and bright eyed bushy tailed

9. Jen & Squeak

yes but how long after his shot? and which insulin are you using?

I'm not trying to be alarmist; I shot 2 units frequently until I started hometesting and my vet said I couldn't really hurt Squeak. But she was wrong, and we've seen cats here with permanent brain damage and its not pretty. So please, take this seriously and give us some more info?

Jen

10. christine + scoop

christine + scoop Member

We are on lantus...I should mention the vial we are on it pretty low (we are expecting a new shipment any day now) - so the insulin is probably not very potent. If it had been a new vial I would have be taken back if she said give him 2U. AMPS was at 8:15, I just testing him at 9:45.

11. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Just keep a good eye on him...and if you don't know how to treat a hypo (numbers less than 40 or so, I think, but ECID), read through the stickie up at the top of this forum. Get everything set, and then just watch and test. He may be just fine. He may not. But as long as you're aware, testing, and prepared, you should get through it fine.

And know that there are a lot of people here to help you through should he go hypo, too, so you're not alone.

And isn't it amazing how much a change of diet can affect their sugars? Wow and wow and wow again.

Best-
    Michele

12. Jen & Squeak

It may be hours before you know he's safe; lantus peaks at 6 hours or even later post shot. Are you around home today and able to check regularly?

13. christine + scoop

christine + scoop Member

Yes I will be here to check him and yes I know how to deal with hypo. And yes wow- diet changes are amazing,

14. Michele and Esse

Good deal. Will be interesting to see what happens with him over the day. Don't be surprised if he doesn't go low; my experience has been once they hit a number they are not used to, they may stay high for a few days. It's the next drop that can take one by surprise. LOL

Eeyore has a nadir at +4, and Esse nadirs whenever she wants (it changes day to day...LOL). So just keep testing, and you'll catch it whenever it comes.

Best-
    Michele

15. Michele and Esse

Just wondering how everything went with your baby today...

Best-
    Michele

16. christine + scoop

christine + scoop Member

Well 91 was the lowest he went today and he was actually abnormally active. I am about to do PMPS now - hopefully he will be high so I can get some sleep tonight! HA!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.