Update on Sergei

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sergei Waddell, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sergei Waddell

Sergei Waddell Member

Here is a link to our post 2 weeks ago - http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22520

Ser had rebounded, began eating and drinking water as usual.... Each day his appetite increased and his nights were very restful. He had daily BMs but were very small. His glucosed has been normal (95-114). He began to gain weight (1/2 lb), and began to get playful... After this episode my wife recalled a hair ball that was pretty huge, and when the blood work and ultrasound came back negative and he was improving - we chalked the entire episode up to the hair ball. He has had a few incidents of wheezing, as if he were trying to get another hair ball up, but otherwise his condition has improved. We have been mixing petromalt into his food ( first time ever and a tiny amt.) to try to control the hair balls. This was a "friend" recommendation. He hasn't taken to it well.

This morning however, he woke up earlier than usual crying in the hall. We thought he was just hungry. He ate and went back to bed, he came out to say so long as I was leaving for work and looked grumpy. We came home today and he had spit up a few times. He was not interested in eating dinner or drinking, and all he wants to do is sleep tonight. He also has lost his 1/2 lb that he gained.

When Ser was at hospital two weeks ago when this started he was given subcutaneous fluids. Is it possible that this was responsible for his rebound, and now he is becoming dehydrated again?
    Maybe we are just overly concerned for a cat this "age" (15)...but just want to make sure we are doing all we can to make him well/comfortable. The wheezing concerns us...and my wife said the hairball 2 wks. ago was a "hair log" - no wonder it hurt:-(
    :YMSIGH:

Resting, Ser

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I need to tell you that PetroMalt is not good for your cat long term.

First off, it needs to be given between meals to be effective in eliminating hairballs.

But far better would be a hairball remedy that does not contain Petrolatum.. (Petroleum Jelly, such
    as Vaseline ---brand name).

Long term use of PetroMalt, or any other brands of hairball remedy can interfere with the absorption
    in the gut of B-vitamins.

Find a good hairball remedy and use as directed. Do not mix into food.

I do doubt that the small amount you are using will help Sergei if he truly does have a hairball problem.
    But continued use of a product containing Petrolatum could result in a vitamin deficiency.

For my Tommy...long haired, I find I have to give hairball remedy about every 3-4 days. That keeps
    him from developing a really big one, and hair passes out in his stool about 12 hours after I give each treatment.

I use NaturVet Natural Hairball Aid. Petrolatum Free.

To give hairball remedy. Some cats will lick it off your finger...lucky you !!

If that does not work, put a dab on your finger tip, open cat's mouth and place the dab on the roof
    of the mouth just behind the front teeth. As far forward as possible. Let cat swallow several times,
    and then another little dab until the entire dose is given.

I have no idea if it is a hairball problem that is causing Sergei's relapse. Just wanted you to know
    about the B-vitamin thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.