Update on the boys

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debra & CB (GA) & Gang, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debra & CB (GA) & Gang

Debra & CB (GA) & Gang Member

Hi everyone!

Sorry that I haven't posted an update for a little while on TK and Radar, but these boys have had me worried to no end, and only now are feeling much better.

Things were gradually improving for both Radar and TK, and then this past Wednesday I had to take them back to their wonderful new vet, Dr. K. The med that I was giving them to battle the diarrhea (pro-pectalin) worked too well for TK. He hadn't poo'd since Monday and he threw up three times Tuesday night, and once Wednesday morning. Dr. K examined them both and remarked at how much brighter and alert them both were, but she too was concerned about TK's lack of poo. She gave him a little sub-q fluids and suggested that I should give him 1/2 cc of karo syrup mixed with warm water every 6 hours in hopes of getting "things" moving again for him. She said that she could give TK a laxative, but she was afraid that would restart the diarrhea problem again, so she wanted us to take a gentler route. Plus until I actually witnessed him pooing I would need to crate them both while I was out of the house, and to supervise them closely while I was at home. All day Wednesday.......nothing. But he played a lot, ate well, and generally seemed quite well. Thursday........nothing. Then finally Thursday evening TK got into one of the "big kitty" litter boxes and dug like he was heading to China. He then squat, and out came poo......nicely formed, normal poo! I swear it must have been tickling his tonsils! LOL! The vet tech even called us 2 days in a row for a "poo" update on TK!

Meanwhile Radar's poo has generally improved, although at a much slower rate than TK's has. We still haven't gotten all of the test results back yet, but the ones that have come back so far indicate an overabundance of coliform bacteria in their intestinal tracts. We're still waiting to hear on the various cultures.

The boys are still on doxycycline and albon, but neither are getting the pro-pectalin now. They're both eating really well, drinking normally, and are back to rough housing. It's so nice to see them acting like this. They literally play themselves into exhaustion, then they find themselves a sleep buddy and pass out for a few hours......only to restart once they wake back up!

I've posted 10 new pictures on my flickr account, all taken in the past few days. If you're squeamish there's a close-up picture of one of TK's baby molars there. I accidentally knocked it out while syringing the pro-pectalin into him. :sad: He was so kind as to spit it out right into my hand! I felt really bad about it, but it must have been getting ready to come out anyway.

Oh, I should mention that the digital scales I have no longer will weigh TK. I've read the instructions with it and it says it'll weigh up to 5 pounds 4 ounces, so he's now over 5 pounds! Radar weighs 3 pounds, 15 3/4 ounces! They're finally growing again!!! Dr. K feels that the reason they're stunted is the same reason for this diarrhea........hopefully once we find out why they keep getting diarrhea they'll recover and grow to whatever size their genetics intend for them. But, no matter what size they finally reach, they'll always be special to me. :D

2. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Sigh.

Have I mentioned that I love your boys?? :D

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

So glad to see this new update. Great to read they are gaining weight and I love the new pictures. They are both so precious.

4. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Hey at least you get to keep a baby tooth! They almost always swallow them. You could get a little tooth box :)

5. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I am glad they are feeling better again. It is just so hard to see little ones suffering. You are a great mom!

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh I forgot all about this forum. Thanks so much for the update. I think of you guys often and was getting a little worried. Continued prayers for you and your little guys.

Jeanne

7. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update. So so happy to hear that TK and Radar are doing better. Normal poo!!! It's the little things that count ;-)

8. M L and Cleo (GA)

M L and Cleo (GA) Member

Glad to hear the boys are getting back to almost normal!

9. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

I so love that molar tooth photo!! I have only gotten to see canines fall out.

and so nice to see them both looking so happy and healthy. How far you all have come! you have done wonders for them, and I am so happy for all of you!

Connie

10. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Was wondering how you all were doing Debra. Glad to hear the boys are improving and gaining weight! ACK!! They are just too darn cute!!

Keep us posted please!! I luv these little guys!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.