Update on Tonka and how much weight loss before you increase food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jmalasiuk, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmalasiuk

jmalasiuk Member

I posted this in the L&L board, but to get a wider range of thoughts on ideal kitty weight, I'm cross posting here:

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What does he weigh and what should he weigh?
    There are some pics of body conditions scores for cats on the web. If he is underweight per those or your vet, start small and just add a teaspoon or two of food to each meal.

3. jmalasiuk

jmalasiuk Member

Last weight was 13.4 lb, down from 13.6 a month ago, so really not much of a difference. And according to the vet, based on his size and frame, his ideal weight is about 12 lb, which they laughed at at the time (he was a very solid 16+ lb at that point). I think he's a healthy weight - It's just that he seems so hungry right now. But his blood sugar levels are good, so it might just be that he wants to gorge for gorging's sake :)

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Ideas:
    Add a tablespoon or two of water to the wet food if not already doing that.
    Spread thinly across a wide plate to slow down the consumption.
    Freeze some of the meal to be eaten as it thaws.
    Use a timed feeder to portion out mini-meals so he never gets too hungry.

5. jmalasiuk

jmalasiuk Member

Thanks BJM - I'm already spreading his food out, but I'll give the other ideas a shot. I'm starting to think that he's just trying to guilt trip me into not leaving the house again :rolleyes:

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jordi,

A fellow Canuck here. Just wanted to tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed Tonka's OTJ party . What a wonderful video giving those of us who are still trying to get our kitties regulated hope. I am going to tell another Canadian member to have a peek at your video. With all that talent, no wonder you managed to get Tonka to OTJ! I am gobsmacked! Got to study Tonka's spreadsheet and get some pointers. What a beautiful kitty Tonka is!

7. jmalasiuk

jmalasiuk Member

I can't take any credit for the OTJ video - that was made by the very talented Camille. And getting him OTJ was thanks in very large part to the guidance I received from the folks on this board. That, and he is just a lucky cat, overall. Good luck to you and Menace too :)

8. George-66

George-66 New Member

Well done with the diet. My cat is still on his diet with a similar goal to yours. Reducing the calories was not too hard but getting him to exercise is an effort....

jmalasiuk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.