*Update: We see GREEN!* Free Hand Lancing & Anxiety tips?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PebsNMunchsReagan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

Hi everyone,
    Today hasn't been great for us, as we haven't gotten one successful reading. The only time I was able to get blood she wiggled loose and wiped the blood all over my shirt. :YMSIGH: . I know part of the problem is I'm struggling to get close enough with the lancet pen. I'm either not putting enough pressure on her ear or I'm missing the ear entirely. (I'm using the rice sock behind her ear.) I'm wondering if free-handing it would help, but I have to be honest, it's a little scary for me.
    I'm also struggling not to let my anxiety get the better of me. I know she can tell I'm not comfortable and frustrated. cat(2)_steam :oops: :cry: Any tips for either issues?
    Hope everyone is having a more successful day then we are. I thought I'd officially introduce Munch, also. :arrow:

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Free Hand Lancing & Anxiety tips?

Munch looks like a beautiful girl.

Once you have the basics, it can be a matter of deciding, I have to do this and then poking with confidence. We think we are going to hurt them so we can be too hesitant.

If you are warming the ear, and have a big enough lancet, you are nearly there. Have you tried a quick second poke in the same spot? If she bleeds and is ready to run, you can get the drop on your fingernail and test from there. You might practice on your finger with the lancet to figure how it works best. I set it right next to the ear and pushed. (if you have the kind with the clear plastic cap, it helps to take that off so you can see better.). It does help to have something behind to poke against. If the rice sack feels clumsy, you can use something smaller. We liked a makeup sponge.

Don't give up. We will keep giving hints that worked for us and eventually you will get a routine that works for you.

3. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Free handing the lancet without the device works better for some people, especially if you have good dexterity. I use my own finger on the other side of the ear to have something to push against. Yes, I've poked myself a few times, but doing that helped me learn how hard I needed to push the lancet in and how quickly.

Have you seen this picture: http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/chupie_2006/testingear/sweetspot.jpg
    That may help you find the area of the ear which bleeds easier. Yes, a warmed rice sock will help in the beginning.

If you can seclude yourself and Munch in a small room, like a bathroom, that may make it more comfortable for both of you. I created an "exam table" with a board across my sink counter. Gandalf always liked getting on the sink counter, so he will get up there by himself if I close him in the bathroom. Is there a place like that which Munch likes to jump on? Maybe that could be her testing place.

And for the human anxiety, as with any anxiety inducing situation, BREATHE! Take several long, slow breaths before you start. It's surprising how much more focused and less nervous that can make you. If you haven't watched more than 1 testing video, try watching 2 or 3 more and try again.

Here's ours:
    [​IMG]
    If it's cold, warm ear with rice sock or oatmeal, as shown. Have strip in meter and lancet ready. If using lancet by hand as shown hold finger behind ear for support, stick quickly. Apply test strip, some meters allow you to reload strip if you don't get enough blood from first stick. Pinch ear where it bled to stop bleeding and prevent bruising, wet it and dry off with tissue.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

you can also put petroleum gel on the ear before poking. This will allow the blood to bead up and not soak into fur and may make it easier for you to test. And no the gel won't affect the test.

Also if freehanding - try holding the lancet at a 45 degreeish upward angle and poking in an upward motion - not straight on. like this:

[​IMG]

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I never mastered free-handing, but I did successfully overcome Lancet Device Anxiety Syndrome! :lol:

A few things helped me:

- Practicing on his ear without a lancet in the device. I did this a few times when I realized my anxiety and shaky hands were making the process harder. Once I discovered that I could go through the motions successfully and could relax into it, that helped me a lot.

- Relaxing and trying not to rush through the whole process. When I started I thought I had sort-of one window of opportunity and if I didn't get a test RIGHT THEN I was all but in tears. I knew this was making him more upset, so I started trying to be more low key with it. I didn't have to only bring out the test kit for the BIG EVENT lol but I could leave the kit lying around, no big deal. And I could take my time - once I had the kit open and ready to go, I didn't have to test right that second, I could let it sit a few minutes, come back to it, etc. Approaching it that way helped me relax a lot, and that made the whole process easier.

I'm not sure about the part about not being able to get close enough? I put a folded kleenex behind Bix's ear, and sat next to him. When I was first starting out I kept the lancet at the deepest setting. That way you don't have to use a lot of pressure, just enough so the device is solidly against their ear. If you practice it a few times w/o a lancet, then you can be calmer they won't flinch & run away, etc. I practiced it to the extent of a fake poke, then hold the ear in place, then hold the meter up to the area, etc. I did that several times til I was comfortable and more relaxed with the entire process, and then later in the day or the next day or whatever, tried with an actual lancet.

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

I just saw your other thread too. Were you able to get some help/answers from your vet on Friday? Is she feeling any better? Sounded pretty scary.

7. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

As the resident rice sockie expert here, I recommend you do not use the rice
    sock behind the ear.

After warming the ear, place a small folded piece of TP or a bit of a FIRM cosmetic
    square behind the area for the actual poke.

The rice sock is too soft to provide a firm backing. And it will get bloodied,
    eventually.

I used a cosmetic square that was cut into 3 strips. Use ONE strip folded over for the
    backer, then after the blood is obtained, on the strip, and the meter is computing the BG,
    unfold the strip, wrap it around the ear edge and apply gentle pressure for 5-10 seconds
    to minimize bruising at the poke site.

8. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

Wow, so much support! Hopefully I catch everything.

Sue & Oliver, thank you, Munch greatly appreciates the compliment. It looks like Oliver and Munch would be great friends! She loves hiding out in the plastic from water/tea cases. Most of the time she won't wait until they are empty and her rear end ends up sticking out. I love it!
    I do believe I am getting stuck on not wanting to hurt her. I think, probably more probable than actually just missing her ear, subconsciously as soon as I hit the release button I'm ever so slightly pulling the pen away. I guess I just need to get a tougher skin. I've tried my finger, the rice sock, kleenex. I keep switching to try to find the best option for us. I'll go buy some makeup sponges though. Also thanks for the fingernail idea. That will be a life saver I think.

Vicki & Gandalf
    I have the sweet spot photo on a quick link. I pull it up often. I'm hoping to get a pic of both of Munchkin's ears so I can have them up when I'm testing. Visuals help immensely. We had set up the dining room as our testing/insulin/med location, but I think it hasn't been the best decision. I generally end up with 2-3 family members watching me when we're up there, also saying poor munch & her ears must hurt, which is probably adding to my anxiety. I'll have to find a better location.
    As for my anxiety, I actually deal with it on a daily basis & take meds, but you're right I'm completely forgetting to breath. I have to do breathing exercises to go to sleep at night so I should definitely work of creating a routine for myself to calm down for this. No idea why I didn't think of that. I'll also be going through the videos I've watched and add a few more. Thank you for linking yours. I'll save it!

Hillary & Maui,
    Thank you for the image. Are you hitting more of the side/edge of the ear when you do that?

And Joanna & Bix,
    What you explained about being rushed is exactly what I'm doing. It's exhausting too. I defiantly need to take a step back. I think it's coming from a combination of wanting to make it as painless as possible and worried I'm forgetting things. Test, feed, Insulin & pain meds. I'm terrified I'll forget the insulin or pain meds and I'll set her back. I haven't done any of those things yet, but I've put myself in a panic mode. So breathing and stepping back need to become my new routine. I think I need to write those in big bold letters all over the house.
    The vet did help on Friday. He encouraged me to actually give her more time (24 hours), he believed it was just a bad bruise but also set up X-ray and blood work appointments for yesterday. She did a complete 180 by early Saturday so we canceled the tests, but if I noticed a slight decrease in progress he'll get me in right away. I'm just convinced she love scaring me anymore. I have a close eye on her though. She's becoming herself more and more.

Thank you Karen & Smokey.
    I will try the makeup sponge instead.

I whole heartedly appreciate everyones comments, tips and support. I would love to give all of you a huge hug and scratches and treats for your kitties. :YMHUG: I'm going to spend the next hour preping myself again, watching videos & reading, then I'm going to us both a break for the rest of the night. We'll try again tomorrow.

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

You see the black rim around her ear. that is where I'm aiming. Sometimes I got the very edge of the ear, sometimes a little more on the inside.

Another way to poke is to go from the back of the ear to the front. Yes, it's backwards, but for some people it works better that way.

I always poked Maui from the front to back.

10. Lesley & Cheekyface

Lesley & Cheekyface Member

I had the same problems with shaky hands etc especially if MY blood sugar is low :oops: but finally cracked it when I decided it just had to happen.

I decided for both our sakes that Cheeky has to be swaddled (one lovely person called it a kitty burrito :lol: )and I lift her up onto the table where she sits on a folded towel for comfort, facing away from me and pulled right into my body so I can hug her throughout the process. I do use the lancet pen but without the lid, and freehand it that way. From the back. It's been about two weeks now and she realises that it's all over with quickly and then she gets kisses, put down and fed. She still complains sometimes though.

The rice sock was wonderful and was part of my breakthrough, but I found it started to stretch after 3-4 uses, so yesterday I made a tiny little ricebag out of calico. Its a lot firmer than the sock, and I can actually push against it quite well.

I'm so sorry to hear about Munch's other issues and I really hope you get them sorted out soon.

Hugs

Lesley

11. Joanna & Bix (GA)

I am convinced that if there isn't a spot that is bruised or anything, it does not hurt them. I watched Bix pretty carefully, and have also tested my civvies and watched them, and they really don't seem bothered at all. If anything they are annoyed at having their ears touched, but I have not seen signs that the lancet poke actually hurts. Now if there is some bruising, etc., then you can see they will flinch. When I got that, I tried to switch ears or switch spots to find a place that wouldn't hurt. With a clean spot though, they won't even flinch, so if it does hurt at all, it's not enough to be concerned about.

I would also make yourself a checklist - that's what I always do when I have more than one or two meds to dole out, otherwise it's too easy to forget. I put it up on a white-board on the fridge with the time (so 2 lists if AM & PM are different), whatever you need to recall: test, feed, insulin, pain meds, or whatever, and then as you do each thing put a checkmark by it. (maybe add breathing & stepping back to the list, lol). That's what they do in medical settings, a printed checklist where it gets checked off or initialed or something, so I figure if it works for the pros, I can do that too. Then you also don't have to feel as rushed to do all those things at once.

I'm glad she is feeling better now, that is great news!

12. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

You might find that still too soft. But give it a try.

You need something firm behind the ear.

13. Hillary & Maui (GA)

for what to hold behind the ear - i used the oatmeal sock.yes it got some blood on it, but i didnt care it warmed the ear, supported the poke and saved my fingers.

14. Ginny & Alex

Ginny & Alex Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've received lots of idea from others. And while I can't offer anything new, I just want to say that I'm with you on the anxiety for both pokes and shots. Hubby and I are getting better, but the key, I think, is not to rush things even though you want to get it over with.

15. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

WE SEE GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dancing_cat :RAHCAT :RAHCAT dancing_cat party_cat
    We have been successful both attempts this morning. I found that using a piece of a large square of flour sack folded repeatedly and switching to the clear cover on the lancing pen (which I didn't even realize I had until late last night) has made everything a million times easier!
    Now on to numbers, and a question.
    AMPS was 176, 1U of Lantus, +3 68. I was in such shock I tried again, with the same blood and got 62, 66. I thought that was odd. Does air/time effect the reading at all? Should I be concerned about the number range?
    Also, just to throw info out there we are doing a slow adjust food routine and yesterday we dropped down from 1/16 cup to 1/32 cup of Sci Diet. Such a difference. Two days ago we had a +3 172.
    I'm so crying happy tears right now! Now to get consistent readings for the next few days!
    Thank you all SOOOOO much! Munch and I are sending huge hugs and treats for all! :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon

16. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Re: *Update: We see GREEN!* Free Hand Lancing & Anxiety tips

Fantastic! I am so glad you got a reading, and just in time, it looks like. I will ask some Lantus users to come over and look at your numbers. They are very nice for early in the game. We start thinking about intervening with higher carb wet food around 40, so I would plan to getting some more readings - maybe every 30-45 minutes for a couple hours. Usually - and that is not to say that every cat is not different - you see your lowest number around 6 hours after the shot. So you will need to stay on top of the numbers for a few hours.

This is a very nice response and very encouraging. party_cat

17. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

Thank you Sue!
    I'll wake her up again in 10 mins and attempt another reading, (she's responding normally, just napping). I can stay with her all day today. I can also head over to the Lantus group if it's a better idea. I also have Karo on hand.

18. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I posted for you on Lantus and asked for some eyes, but there was no one on line at the time. Let's see if some Lantus users reply here. Both boards are slow this morning so Health may be a better option. It is usually busier.

Do you have some higher carb food on hand? Wet high carb would be better than dry if possible.

19. Amanda

Amanda Member

Go Munch, go! Switching off the dry food can make a BIG difference on insulin needs. I would venture to guess once the dry food is completely out of the picture you will be giving less than 1 unit. Snag a BG test about 45 minutes after you got the 68 and post.

20. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Hello, I'm stopping by from the Lantus ISG to give you a hand....nice job getting the tests! Let's see what the next test is. When you fed at +2, which food did you give Munchkin?

Staying here on Health is fine, no need to go over to Lantus ISG.

21. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

+4 82/84
    Also, Pain meds were given at +3, I updated the ss to show that. My apologies for missing it. (Let me know if my formatting is off).
    She got only DM wet, about 1/5 of the can at +2. The foods I have on hand are the Wet Purina DM, Dry Purina DM & Science Diet Dry.
    I have a family member running to the store for me, what is a good high carb wet?

22. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Anything that says "in gravy" or "with gravy" is usually HC....I personally use 9 lives tender slices with real beef in gravy (24%), but there are plenty of other choices.

That's a nice number, the DM may be helping because that is on the higher carb end. I would give her a tsp of so of the DM and get another test in an hour....45 minutes if you are nervous.

ETA: I mean the WET DM, not dry.

23. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

What type of pain med are you giving? Did she seem to be in pain before you gave it? Cats are good at hiding pain, so it may not be obvious...but pain can boost numbers too, so that may have helped her numbers rise.

24. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

She is on 0.2 ml of Buprenorphine. She is not showing any signs of pain anymore, but is a 14 day treatment. She's doing stairs again, jumps again. And the area that was painful she doesn't react to when touched anymore.

25. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

I'm glad to hear that she is feeling better! I did see your other thread, but just skimmed it quickly....so I wasn't sure what you were giving her.

Let's see where she goes on the next test. It's nice to see her responding so well to the Lantus, these numbers are nice! You will need to watch her numbers carefully though since you are doing a diet change...you may need to reduce her dose. Did you give her a shot last night? Her SS doesn't show anything for PM yesterday.

Did she start the Lantus in May? Has she always been on 1.0u? I know, I'm full of questions, sorry! Never mind, I found your first thread! You've come a long way already. :D

I would encourage you to go to the Lantus ISG when you have time and read the stickies at the top of the forum, start with the New to the Group sticky and the TR protocol sticky.

26. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

Sorry for the dely in responding, I've been fighting with my ss.

Ok so I gave her the 1tsp Wet DM, then at +5 we got a reading of 109.
    Yes, she did get her insulin last night. (Updated & added an Update SS check off to my to-do list)
    She's suppose to be on 1u/2u daily, but I don't agree with her vet. So I'm doing 1u BID. I'll definitely head over to the Lantus Group, read the stickies and make sure her SS is perfect.

27. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Oh, please don't worry about making her SS perfect! I was just checking because that would make a difference on my thoughts about her dose if you skipped her shot last night. You are doing a great job with the SS, there's a lot of info on there, and it's all very helpful! Sorry the SS was giving you trouble. I think your decision to go with 1u BID was a very good one.

Based on what I'm seeing today, I would suggest that you try to get an early spot check in each cycle like you did today...+2 or +3....because that often will give you an idea if she's going to go low. You did a great job today, catching that 68! These are wonderful numbers, and she is gradually rising now so I think you can relax a little. If you want to get another test before PMPS, that's up to you. I know the testing is difficult in the beginning....I remember!

I don't want to overwhelm you....take your time reading and digesting the info, I know it's a lot to learn. You are doing great! Feel free to ask any questions, and you are welcome to post in the Lantus ISG whenever you want to, or post on Health, or both.

28. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

Thank you Laurie! Also Sue & Amanda, I appreciate all the support.

I'll give her a break this afternoon, and do a reading at +9. Then I'll definitely get the +2, +3 readings. I look forward to meeting everyone on Lantus ISG soon.

Again, I can not express this enough, thank you everyone. I'm so grateful for finding this site & all of you! I hope everyone's day is going well.

29. Deborah&Saatz-Su

Deborah&Saatz-Su Member

Yay, I am glad you have been able to test and get some good numbers too! Not much more that I can really add to the wonderful advice you have already been given, I really just wanted to make sure to say hi to a fellow Minnesotan. :lol: :D :mrgreen: I have been so very busy lately I haven't been about it make it online much at all, so I feel I have been missing a lot, including your first thread, I think.

So anyway, GRATS on the great job, and here's to hoping things calm down around here so I can make it on more to help out.

Debbi and Saatz

30. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

Just thought I'd check in today. We've had a good testing day. A few growls, but we got blood and numbers every time. We didn't have an early low dip (At least that I caught) like yesterday and we've remained in Blue all day.
    Debbi & Saatz, nice to meet you. Loving the weather the last two days?! lol Congrats on your month anniversary OTJ! I hope that's an accomplishment I can post, one day! :) If you go to Munch's Condo today, Laurie posted links to my four posts, including my intro.
    I hope everyone is having a good day!

31. Deborah&Saatz-Su

Deborah&Saatz-Su Member

Thank you very much! From reading your other threads that Laurie posted it sounds like you are well on your way to OTJ land yourself. Saatz was DX'ed mid March with BG levels over 500. By the end of April he was only needing 0.5U shots in the evening, mornings he was never above 100. May 6th is when we took him off the insulin completely. Your ss for Munch already looks fantastic, I would not be surprised if she became diet controlled quicker then you might expect.

As for the weather, Saatz has been enjoying it, in the fenced backyard, on his harness and lead, out the basement window. I have been enjoying the air conditioning, lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.