? Updated SS. Where to go next?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by primalkitty, Sep 26, 2018.

1. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

I am having a hard time regulating Griff's numbers. I have not updated the spread sheet, will do tomorrow.

He was doing great, and then suddenly went to 30! He wasn't acting like he had low blood sugar. Freaked me out! I gave him some kibble (which he loved!) and I have been testing and testing to see where he can maintain. He was at 6 units and now I am at 2.0 units. This morning he was 108 and I did not dose. Tonite he is at 230 with no injections. I am thinking I should not give his insulin tonite either? Yes, no????

I know it is hard to see where we are without the data, but just based on the above info....ideas?

He seems to be feeling, well, fantastic. He is playing with his brother, washing his toys in the water bowl :p, walking up and down the hallway at 4 am yowling...normal behavior.

2. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Hello! I'm sorry that no one has responded yet. I see that you posted this yesterday (Tuesday) night- is that correct? Do you still need some help? How's it all going? Please let us know.

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Jessie! Long time no see!

I'm sorry I didn't see this. It's possible you're headed to remission, but it is hard to know. When you get the SS updated, we'd be happy to take a look at it. Are you able to get mid cycle tests lately? I know the farm has to keep you busy.

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Jessie! It does sound like he's getting much better numbers, but if he's still around 2u and getting a 230 PMPS, it's probably not remission yet (although I'd love to be wrong about that). Let us know when you've updated the spreadsheet a bit and we can take a look. Hope all is well with you and all your critters!

5. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

So no insulin yesterday. Tested just now and 247. Should I give insulin after breakfast? Will get the SS done later this morning.

Thanks all for the replies!!!!

6. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Got the SS updated. Sorry that the notes are not super detailed. Can anyone make any sense of it?! :eek:

I haven't asked this before....duh, but what are the optimum numbers I need to be looking for? Vetsulins website says 120–300 mg/dL but the SS shows greens at 50-99. Am I wrong to think that these are the numbers to achieve?

Confused!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  7. Djamila

Around here we usually use 50-120 as the optimal range. You might try giving him a small dose on anything over 150, and it's okay to be making dose reductions right now and seeing how he does with them. The 1.75 was pretty good today. It does look like maybe 2u would have been okay, but hard to know for sure. The goal is to keep shooting twice/day for as long as you can, just reducing the dose little by little after the times when he's too low and you have to skip.

It's fun to see his dose come down so much! I hope he keeps heading that direction for you! Please don't hesitate to post and ask for help. When a kitty runs down the dosing scale like this, it can get tricky.

primalkitty and Rachel like this.
  8. Djamila

Just to clarify: 50-120 without insulin. I'm not suggesting you give a shot on a green number! (at least not yet :p)

primalkitty likes this.
  9. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

He IS looking good these days! He could be headed towards the R word, but since he's been on insulin for a long time, and he has been on such a high dose in the past, you want to wind down slowly. The pancreas needs support as much as possible for as long as possible...and there's no way to know for sure if we're headed towards that elusive R word or not. :)

But yes, please post as much as you want! You know we're here to help and when kitty heads down the scale it can get a bit hairy at times.

primalkitty and Djamila like this.
  10. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Ha...the "R word", love it!!! @Rachel

So, I ran out of test strips since I was having to test so frequently. Yesterday went to local pharmacy and it was $60 for 30 strips....ummmm, no! I had ordered on Amazon ($23 for 100) and they said delivery on Monday. Yipeee got them today. So now able to test a little more frequently.

Anyhoo, at 1.75 units now. Blues and yellows so, maybe need to go 2 again.

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  11. Djamila

Yes, it does look like he needs a smidge more. Keep an eye on him though in case he decides he really liked 1.75u better :)

primalkitty likes this.
  12. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I agree, looks like a bit of an increase may be in order...

primalkitty likes this.
  13. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Okay, will see what he is this morning and will dose accordingly. Thanks!!

14. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Here is a cute picture of my orphan calf, Bee Bee and her little friend behind her.

Attached Files:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  15. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

did 2 units last night. 164 this morning :)

16. Djamila

Bee Bee looks like she's doing so well! If you can, catch a test sometime soon to make sure Griff is staying high enough to be safe. Since he's coming down the dosing scale, they have a tendency to hit the lime greens.

primalkitty likes this.
  17. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Yes, she is doing great!

I will do a few through out the day now that I have enough test strips! :D

18. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

19. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Woah! That's quite a drop. Where are you at in the cycle now?

primalkitty likes this.
  20. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Just did a reading at +5.5 and about an hour after lunch. 103

21. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

heh, heh. Had to update his weight. He has put on a couple pounds! 12.5 then 14.5 now

22. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

primalkitty likes this.
  23. Djamila

That actually turned out to be a pretty good cycle! Yay Griff!

primalkitty likes this.
  24. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

I wish he would make up his mind!! ;) last night 184 - 2 units. This morning 239 - 2 units +5 142.

Should I just keep him steady at 2 for a few days?

25. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'd keep him steady for a few days. Let's see if he is a kitty who drops low and then gradually evens out after a dose change.

primalkitty and Djamila like this.
  26. Djamila

He didn't get a green, but it was still a good drop. I agree with Rachel, I'd wait a couple of days and see where he settles out. And I know they're a pain, but any middle of the night tests you might be able to grab would be great...:confused::coffee:

primalkitty likes this.
  27. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Last night 279. This a.m. 216. And now 196.

Will try to get a night reading.

28. Djamila

Well, boo. We'll see how he is tonight if you can grab a test, but looks like he might need a little more insulin tomorrow. It might also work to get a test as soon as you wake up in the morning, if you're awake by around +8 or so, instead of trying to wake yourself up in the middle of the night.

primalkitty and Rachel like this.
  29. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Got a +4. 154 and this a.m. 197. I will bump him a little this morning. I was thinking 2.25 units.

Djamila likes this.
  30. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

bumped up to 2.25 this morning. +4 71

31. Djamila

Well, looks like he liked the increase. Maybe a little too much ;).