Upped dose for Jeddie

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

This am: .4u (from .25u)

So far, no difference. PS was 352, +3 was 285.

I am so frustrated at how a cat that was diet controlled to go so far off course with no change in diet. Not saying this never happened to anyone else, just that it is frustrating. Grrrrr.....

2. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

I know money is an issue, but maybe bloodwork is in order. Cats can have an infection that does not make them sick per se.

3. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

I agree. You know you can take a urine sample in and have it checked for USG like Dr. Lisa has suggested. Then go from there to decide whether or not to have a cystocentesis and then a culture and sensitivity done. I know he isn't showing any signs or symptoms of a UTI but since money is a factor maybe go this route and see what you might find if anything? I know Dr. Lisa would prefer having the sterile cysto done.

I know when Tigger's numbers all of a sudden don't make sense, I suspect infection of some sort. Of course stress can raise them too so maybe it is 'only' an idiopathic cystitis which would require pain meds.

Here is from one of Dr. Lisa's posts:

Cystitis vs UTI - Check Urine Specific Gravity
    Posted by: Lisa dvm (IP Logged)
    Date: December 3, 2009 01:27AM

Sharyn & Fiona Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    >Is
    > there any real way to know w/out doing a C&S?

The first thing that I do with ANY cat that is showing UT symptoms is to check the urine specific gravity.

If it is high (over ~1.035) the chances of having an infection are extremely slim.....ie....1% if the cat does not have sugar in its urine. (Sugar in the urine raises the chance that a bug *could* grow in concentrated cat urine.)

If less than 1.030, the chances of a cat showing FLUTD signs go up to ~25%...depending on what study you read.

When Bennie (my Obesity project) had FLUTD signs (bloody urine...urinating frequently/small amounts...looking like he felt lousy..) he was too fat to do a cysto on so I just banked on the fact that his chances of having an infection with a USG of 1.45 were slim to none. He got buprinex and love....to decrease his stress level...and time. He was fine with in 2-3 days.

I encourage my clients to take a urine sample to the vet and have them do a quick USG check. You only need a few drops of urine.

Lisa, dvm

4. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Can't you test USG at home?

I just wonder why he doesn't have PD/PU if he is not going below renal threshold, which as near as I can tell he isn't.

5. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Not sure about the strip test. You can get ketone like test strips with a bunch of different testing squares on them and USG is one, not sure how effective/reliable it is.

Hmm, I think the PU/PD might take a while to get bad enough to notice. He's not drinking more? I don't think I noticed PU/PD from Gandalf till about the 3 month mark, when things got bad enough I sought out the internet and found FDMB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.