? Urgent - Advice needed - time for PMPS but Ramon has a lower reading

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ramon's mom, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Ramon's mom

Ramon's mom Member

Please advise me. After being rather high and currently on a higher (for him ) dose he now has a PMPS of 169 (AlphaTrak2). Do I shoot the 1.2 or do I lower it? Please advise!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Try 1.0 u if you can get a +2 test. If that seems too risky try 0.8 u.

3. Ramon's mom

Ramon's mom Member

So I wait to shoot for 2 hours, test and then give an injection if he goes up? (I really am pretty new to this protocol). Thanks for your reply!

4. Ramon's mom

Ramon's mom Member

Or I shoot now and then check at +2?

5. Kris & Teasel

Sorry! I wasn't specific enough. You have a few options:
    • Wait about 30 minutes without feeding and retest. If he's going up give the usual dose. If he's level or lower but above, say, 150 try a reduced dose - maybe half to 2/3 the usual dose.
    • Give a slightly reduced dose of 1.0 u right now. Feed him and then test again at +2 after the dose time. That +2 test can be an indicator of what might happen later. If the BG is much lower then you would intervene with snacks of regular low carb food to prevent a nadir that's too low.
    • Give a more reduced dose of 0.8 u (you're using u100 syringes?) and get a +2 just to be safe.
    • Skip the shot. Least desirable option because you need data on what happens in these lower PS situations.

6. Ramon's mom

Ramon's mom Member

Thank you for the details. I think I will try the reduced dose of 1 u and test in +2. Looking at his recent results, when he was @ this number at PSPM in the past giving lower or no dose ended up with highs again for AMPS.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. Ramon's mom

Ramon's mom Member

Boy his BG readings never seem logical. His +2 is higher and not lower. He did eat right after the insulin but he has absolutely not had any carbs! I don't understand this. At least its not too high and it certainly isn't too low (168 at PMPS and 188 at +2).

8. Kris & Teasel

That’s common and we call it a food spike. It isn’t because food is too high in carbs. Rather, the diabetic kitty’s pancreas isn’t producing much, if any, insulin in response to eating and the insulin injection hasn’t kicked in yet.

9. Ramon's mom

Ramon's mom Member

Gave 1 u last night after the 169 reading. This morning it was at 227 so I gave the 1.2 u in hopes it would reset him lower than he has been. at +2 BG is 89 so I am rechecking at +4 and keeping an eye on him!

10. Ramon's mom

Ramon's mom Member

78 @ +4 Gave food (DM kibble which he has been off of) @ 6.5 it was 197! That's incredible what a few pieces of DM kibble can do to his BG!!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  11. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yup. Carbs are like poison for our sugar cats. I wish vets would understand that and stop selling that crap.

Tina and Boozle and sherrib like this.
  12. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

In my experience, it has been much more effective to give gravy from wet food. We keep a few cans of Friskies shreds around and suck up the gravy with a syringe and feed that way. Lately we've found some "extra gravy" friskies varieties we have been using. It's higher carbs than usual ( and I don't know if this is true across the board, but for us) the rise has been lower, slower, and not as lasting as any dry kibble.

Ramon's mom likes this.