911 URGENT - need dosing help

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by ElaineL, Jun 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElaineL

ElaineL New Member

Hi all,

Experiencing some really weird numbers with my foster kitty over past few days. Has been on 4 units prozinc for a week now and has been having some very high readings despite coming down to a relatively lower nadir; suspect he has been doing some bouncing as recently changed to a lower carb diet as well earlier this week. Had some reoccurring kidney value changes due to DKA episodes with previous owners and being relatively unregulated. Have gotten kidney values under control and switched food back slowly over last week to low carb low phos mod protein diet (organix). Has been eating new food solely for 3 days now.

Thursday readings:
    417 at 6am
    181 at +6
    442 at 6pm

Friday readings:
    273 at 6am (only 3 units were given here as I had a fur shot and vet advised drop one unit as confident almost none at all went in)
    160 at 6+
    498 at 6pm

Saturday readings:
    351 at 6am

Could not get a nadir today but at 6pm (+12 ) he's only at 133. Gave 1/2 can of food and tested again 45 min later and only gone up to 156??

I'm wondering if he is finally responding to low carb diet and worried about what dose to give him tonight. Am now up to almost an hour and a half past regular insulin shot time. Help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

If you are already an hour and a half past shot time (you get about an hour of 'play' time), and you have no data on how he responds to insulin when he has that low of a pre-shot result, I would just skip at this point.

Are you using a pet meter or human one?

UPDDATE: I do want to say that I do not have experience with DKA.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

It would be very helpful if you would set up a signature with basic info, including what meter you use, and a spreadsheet that includes all of your testing results. These items will make it much easier for others to help you, and you will find the spreadsheet very helpful, too.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi! So sorry most of us weren't here when you posted...glad FurBabiesMama was! It does sound like the low carb food is helping bring those numbers down. What did you end up doing last night about the shot?

With DKA, it's super important to get food and insulin on board as much as possible. Skipping shots happens, but with DKA, you want to avoid that if you can. It sounds like he may need a slightly lower dose of insulin so that you don't have to skip shots. We'd be happy to help you out with that, but it would be much easier with the tools mentioned above, especially the SS! Also, can you let us know when his most recent DKA was? Do you test for ketones regularly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.