Urgent. Questoin about budesonide

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Buttercup, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

I am going to the vet tomorrowm my diabetic in remission cat is having chronic diarrhea. metro isn't working. she may have to go on steroid. last time she went on pred and blood sugar shot up. wanted to try budesonide or entocort i think is other name this time in case it is less likey to raise sugar.
    vets here don't know about it. where to get it, what form or how much.
    i have heard that the "beaded' from is better. what does beaded mean? how do i know if i am getting that and why is beaded better? is there another name for "beaded". pharmacists i asked here didn't know exactly what beaded meant either.
    also, how much should i give, what is the dose and
    where should i get it?
    is there a link to something online like an article or something that explains all this so i could print it out and take it to the vet.
    i want to make sure she is getting the right thing in the right amount.
    going to vet tomorrow so it would help if i could get info asap.
    thanks so much
    is it right to try budesonide with her? anyone here ahve any experience with it? is it safe? what are side effects? is it as safe as prednisolone?
    thanks.

2. Janice & Johnny

Janice & Johnny Well-Known Member

I don't have any of the answers you need, Sara. Sorry! But posting to bump your post up. Good luck!

3. Sara and Buttercup

i'm posting to bump this up again. i have vet appointment today so would really like answers if anyone knows. thank you.

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

5. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

Odie is on budesonide.

In small doses, it has to be specially compounded so that it's like powder in a capsule.
    The "human" version is 3mg - it's a bigger capsule (I've never opened one, I assume it has those little mini beads in it)

Odie is 12 pounds and has been *very* difficult to stabilize for IBD/pancreatitis.
    We started on 1mg of Budesonide and are now on the maximum of 3mg.

It acts more locally in the gut, so should have fewer systemic side-effects than Dex or Pred.
    Odie's insulin needs went down from 3 units x2 day to 1 unit x2 day shortly after we switched.

(ps - I just opened one of the 3mg capsules and it is in fact little white beads in there)

6. Sara and Buttercup

thank you. so is that what beaded means? little beads inside the capsule? can you buy the kind that you normally get from humans in the 3 mg cap and then divide it into thirds? put in smaller capsules?

7. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

I would assume yes... they're really tiny so it might be a challenge to do accurately.
    I've never done it with Budesonide.

I have done this with a medication for myself several years ago when trying to taper off of it and they didn't have smaller versions. I'd bought empty gelcaps at a health/vitamin store, opened up the real versions, and divided them up by pouring equal parts into the empty ones.

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

We use a liquid that is compounded at a vet pharmacy (PM me if you want their contact info). I don't know the distinctions in terms of beaded or not, but what we have works well for Bix. I think the starting dose is 1mg SID in most cases. Bix gets it for stomach issues, so I can't comment on how well or not it works for poopie problems, but it works great for nausea. As far as I can tell, it doesn't affect his BGs a lot, but may a little bit. I have not noticed any side effects.

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The beaded budesinide is probably Endtocort EC. The following site says:

Entocort EC contains granules that are coated to prevent dissolution in gastric juice, but which dissolve at pH>5.5, i.e., normally when the granules reach the duodenum. Thereafter, a matrix of ethylcellulose with budesonide controls the release of the drug into the intestinal lumen in a time-dependent manner. (from Entocort EC Prescribing Information)

http://www.centerwatch.com/drug-informa ... ?DrugID=72

10. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

Harley has been on budesonide for 6 months now. He has IBD and started on 1ml a day. He is now down to 0.8ml per day. I use a liquid that is compounded at a vet pharmacy here in Mpls. Harley is doing great on it. Hope things go well.

Pattie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.