Urinalysis results' interpretation - help needed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cupcake, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Good day to You all,

We made my precious Cupcake's urine test today and the results are intimidating (as far as I understand, the results suggest a heavy inflammation of urinary tract). It seems he's loosing his weight every minute. Our vet prescribed antibiotics (Synulox, active ingredient: amoxicillin, clavulanate). Here is a photo of the urinalysis: [​IMG][/url][/img]

Maybe someone more experienced could be so kind and have a look? Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Thanks a million!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

For the printout, it appears that the results were obtained fro a machine-ready urine dipstick test. Typically, one compares the color of the different pads with the colors of the vial of urine dipsticks. I have never used the machine reading but have read many dipsticks

- The ERY are red blood cells and could be due to how the urine sample was taken, or could be due to infection
    - The SG is specific gravity. A value of 1.010 indicates kidney insufficiency (not working well) and kidney insufficiency can cause protein (PRO) in the urine. However, my experience with pad specific gravity is that they are very inaccurate. A refractometer should be used for specific gravity.
    - The LEU (white blood cell) pad reads false positive 99% for cat urine.

Usually, the urine sediment is looked at under a microscope to confirm redd blood cells, white blood cells and to look for bacteria and other problems.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

BIL neg <-------------- no bilirubin which would be a sign of liver disease
    UGG norm
    KET neg <--------------- no ketones, but "The ketone test pad detects acetone and acetoacetic acid, but not β-hydroxybutyrate."
    ASC neg
    *GLU 56 mmolL ++++ <---- glucose in the urine is not surprising as you are working to get control
    *PRO 0.3 g/L + <-------- protein
    *ERY 10 Ery/ul + <------ erythrocytes, ie red blood cells, often occur in severe infection due to irritation of bladder wall
    ph 7
    NIT neg
    *LEU 500 Leu/uL +++ <---- leukocytes are a form of white blood cell
    SG 1.010 <---------------- urine specific gravity is just below 1.02, the low end of the reference range.

Merck Veterinary Manual Online Hematologic Reference Ranges
    Urine Volume and Specific Gravity

Urinalysis"Proteinuria can occur from prerenal (fever, strenuous exercise, seizures, extreme environmental temperature, and hyperproteinemia), renal (primarily glomerular and occasionally tubular disease), or postrenal (inflammation, hemorrhage, and infection) causes."

4. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Thanks for Your answers!

I'm not a vet and this terminology is complicated for me. Just wanted to hear the opinion of others. Do these results mean that the situation is very dangerous? And are antibiotics a good decision to make?

5. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Labas Ruta,
    If the veterinarian used a needle to get Cupcakes urine sample that could very well be the cause of the red blood cells. White blood cells means he is fighting an infection. I believe that those are a broad spectrum antibiotic,meaning they should be useful for a range of illnesses. They could give him diarrhea as a side effect though. And of course you should be treating him. My veterinarian gave Thomas more than a few grave diagnoses throughout the years, but he lived to be 19 1/2!
    Danute

6. macal

macal Member

While kitties are in the unregulated stage of diabetes with high BG values, they tend to get lots of infections, ears, gums and urinary tract are common. A broad spectrum antibiotic would be a good idea. While infection is ongoing BG values tend to be higher too, so keep an eye on the BG as you treat with antibiotics, once the infection is stopped, BG values tend to go down somewhat.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Its pretty common for a diabetic to get infections, so the lab work supports that. Treating it should help reduce insulin needs and monitoring glucose will help you keep him safe.

Because antibiotics kill off good bacteria, too, it can help to give Forti Flora or other probiotic a couple hours after the antibiotic, to replenish the good bacteria and reduce the chances of GI upset.

8. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Labas miela Danute,
    no, the urine sample was brought from home. I'm so happy to hear a lucky story of Your Thomas! I hope my fluffy will live a loOOoong and happy life too :oops:
    Thanks macal, BJM, Your support is so valuable too! I'll keep an eye on Cupcake and will give him some probiotics :)

9. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Nice to see some blues - looks like the antibiotics might be working!!

10. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

As I said in my first reply, if the results for white blood cells is based on a urine dipstick test then ther is a 99% change that it is a false postitive reading.

11. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Wendy, well, it seems they worked yesterday only :D
    Larry, thanks for Your answers. We are still waiting for lab results too. I hope we'll have them next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.