Urinary issues, do I need to go to vets today ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by phlika29, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

Remi is a diet controlled diabetic.

Over the last couple if days remi's stools have gotten very soft (maybe stress from trying to attack another cat mid way though the week). His bottom has been messy and so has his litter tray. I have tried to clear both up but am worried I didn't do a good enough job as today remi can't settle. He keeps going into his litter box, passing a small amount of urine (more than just a couple of drops) and then coming out again. He seems to keep trying to pass a motion too.

Does he need an anti biotic? I have synulox at home? Does he need to go to the vet today? Amy supplements I could try? He isn't hiding and is eating his food okay but it's not nice to watch him when he goes.

Any help gratefully received.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Is the urine clear and not bloody? The concern is if Remi is blocked and the bladder is not emptying. That would require a vet visit now.
    Without a diagnostic I would not give antibiotics.

3. phlika29

Yes it is clear and not bloody. So far I have seen him go three times this morning passing some urine each time. I think I will phone the emergency vets for advice and try to increase his water intake over the next couple of hours by using a syringe.

4. phlika29

I phoned the vet and they want me to being him in. She said the vet would probably give metacam but I don't want them to do that. Is there something else that they can have?

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry to hear that Remi is having problems.

You posted a really good link yourself a day or so back to a page from the CRF website, and I just looked at that now and the only other two anti-inflammatories mentioned there are Robenacoxib (Onsior) and aspirin: http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments_antibiotics_painkillers.htm#onsior

I may get shot down in flames for this but I must fess up and say that I have used Metacam for two of my cats (after discussing pros and cons with my vet). If a cat needs a painkiller it needs a painkiller, and then it's just a matter of weighing things up and deciding which painkiller is most appropriate in the circumstances. I know that Metcam is known to have had deleterious effects on the kidneys of some cats. But do be aware that Metacam in the UK is different to US Metacam (much lower dosage and easier to measure correctly, so less risk of overdosing).

Do you think Remi is in pain?
    And if not, is it an option to just to have the antibiotics..?

Eliz

6. phlika29

He has been making a little noise when he is trying to pee so I would say maybe some discomfort.

I have been giving him more water by syringe and he just passed more water without any noise or apparent straining. I have an appointment with my local pets at home clinic as the emergency vet wanted 120 just to see him whereas they will charge me just 30 pounds consult. I think I will take him and get some meds but maybe just monitor him afterwards. I too have used metacam in the past but do worry about the side effects.

Will check out the link again. Thanks:)

7. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to hear you are taking him into the vet!! (I don't know why our kitties seem to have this come up on weekends, but it sounds like you found an alternative to the ER(been there, done that!! :rolleyes:) I'm not a vet but I wonder why the person you spoke to said they would just give metacam! Is it possible he's actually trying to poop rather than pee, it could be that the straining is causing small amounts of urine to pass? In any event, I am so glad you are taking him to the vet, if more than a day or two have gone by with runny poop, that should be investigated. Vines being sent :bighug:

p.s.I forgot to add, a little tip I got, if you suspect UTI, you can give a tiny amount of Bupe-it helps stop the pain and kitty can save up urine so a cystocentesis can be done.

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear about Remi's litter box woes. I'm glad to hear he's seeing a vet today (would have been my strong recommendation).

If it is a UTI, then Remi may be reluctant to drink much because it hurts so much to pee. Increasing the volume of fluids Remi takes in will both dilute the urine (making it less painful to void) and will help with flushing out any bacteria. (I am assuming here that the vet will prescribe something to treat the infection.) try to get as much fluid into him as is safe and comfortable, Sarah.

I'd suggest poaching some chicken breast meat in a large pan of water. The chicken flavours the water and it may tempt him to drink more under his own steam. It might be an idea to give him a dish of the watery broth when he's hungry as it might encourage him to drink it more easily than between mealtimes. Chicken's part part of Remi's normal diet so hopefully it will agree with his digestive tract. I've had great success with this chicken watery broth when needing to help keep Saoirse properly hydrated (and also to help her wash down her tablets). She drinks it readily (even diluted 50:50 with water). If he's reluctant to drink at all then your normal syringed fluid assistance would be the way to go.

Let us know how you get on.

(((Sarah and Remi)))

ETA - Ruth makes a good point about possible constipation. Ask the vet to check that too.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

With constipation, there can be a partial blockage and soft or liquid feces may move around it. For more info on the feline GI tract, constipation, and treatment options, go to Feline Constipation.
    With bladder infection, the irritation may cause repeated attempts to urinate, with little success. It is very uncomfortable.

10. phlika29

Thanks everyone for the replies.

The vet checked remi over and said his bladder was empty and so was his bowl. So he isn't constipated and he is able to empty his bladder. He said it sounds like cystitis. I told him remi peed more normally since I started giving him water via syringe every hour.

He suggested an antibiotic and I showed him the synulox I had left over and he said that yes that would be a good one to use (either that or he was going to give him a shot of covenia). He also said he could give metacam injection but didn't feel that it was vital as remi was peeing okay and wasn't in too much discomfort during the exam.

So for now I am going to keep on with the water. Not sure whether to wait to speak to my vet tomorrow about starting the antibiotic.

My main concern is whether synulox is okay for a diet controlled diabetic cat?

11. phlika29

Here is a list of ingredients that mean nothing to me. The vet thought it would be okay

http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/ProductInformationDatabase/SPC_Documents/SPC_139531.doc

Active ingredients:mg per tablet
    Amoxicillin 200.0
    (as Amoxicillin Trihydrate)229.5
    Clavulanic acid 50.0
    (as Potassium Clavulanate)59.5
    Erythrosine Lake (E127)17.50

List of excipients
    Erythrosine Lake (E127)Magnesium Stearate

Sodium Starch Glycollate, Type A

Silica Colloidal Anhydrous

Yeast Dried

Microcrystalline Cellulose

12. Critter Mom

If it's cystitis, then a lot of fluids can really help. It's what doctors recommend for human patients. It really does get rid of a lot of the pain. (Don't ask how I know this. :oops:)

If you're talking to your regular vet about it, maybe ask about whether cranberry might be suitable treatment adjunct for Remi.

13. phlika29

Yes I think the water is already helping. Will email my vet tonight with my questions and phone him in the morning.

Just not sure about whether to start the ab tonight.

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The antibiotic is fine.

15. phlika29

@BJM so you would go ahead and give it to your cat if he had a urinary tract problem? I know the vet said it was good but I don't really know anything much about UTI.

He has had that ab before so I know he will tolerate it okay.

16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Amoxicillin plus Clavulanic acid is basically Clavamox in the US.
    And I've given it to my cats before.

17. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

I am confused- your vet said it looked like cystitis, is there a Urine Culture and Sensitivity being run? This would determine if there actually is a bacterial infection and which AB is best suited for that bacteria. This is from Dr. Lisa- Feline Urinary TractHealth - Cystitis.

Spike's Mom likes this.
  18. phlika29

No. It was more like a holding appointment to make sure there was no immediate problem that required emergency treatment ie no blockage. It wasn't my normal vet and it wasn't a true emergency vet so no bloods were drawn and no urine culture. Just a physical exam and a history was taken.

I guess the treatment was based on probabilities but he advised to go back to my normal vet this week. So I either start the ab tonight and hope they will help or wait and see if it clear up on its own. Remi certainly just passed urine in an okay manner. No meowing, quite a bit of pressure on it and a fair amount so I think the extra water is really helping.

19. Critter Mom

Glad the extra fluids are making Remi more comfortable, Sarah.

20. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Glad to hear there was no blockage- and that is good he is able to urinate without the obvious discomfort he was showing.

I would definitely talk to your own vet tomorrow. This has been my experience when I have seen the repeated trips to the LB with my Tiger, even with extra water on board, I will go and get a C &S run to rule out an actual bacterial infection requiring an antibiotic. That also will show which AB is best for the job. There is nothing worse than having an actual UTI that is left untreated!!! :eek: But on the other hand, you don't want to give AB unnecessarily as Dr. Lisa is pointing out!

Critter Mom likes this.
  21. phlika29

Yes after reading the dr Lisa link I think I will hold off on the ab until it speak to my vet tomorrow. I don't like the idea of giving it unnecessarily. His blood glucose today was okay and I will carry on with the increased water tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.