URINATING ON THE COUCH

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lindac077, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lindac077

lindac077 New Member

I AM NEW AT THIS SO PLEASE BEAR WITH ME.MY CAT LIL MIS HAS STARTED URNIATING ON THE COUCH. SHE GETS 2 SHOTS A DAY.THE SYRINGE IS ON THE SECOND MARK ON A 40 MG NEEDLE. I CHANGE HER BOX DAILY.SHE WAS ABOUT 2 WEEKS OLD WHEN WE GOT HER.WE RESCUED HER OUT OF MY NEIGHBOR'S SHED. SHE WAS SO SMALL I HAD TO EVEN STIMULATE TO PEE, JUST LIKE MOM WOULD.I DON'T WANT TO PUT HER TO SLEEP BUT HUSBAND HAS JUST ABOUT HAD IT. WHAT CAN I DO TO STOP THIS?????ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED..THANKS

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hi linda
    ok, breath. i'm sure this can be fixed. in the meantime can you isolate your baby to one room in the house.
    next are your testing his blood glucose?
    what is the name of your insulin?
    has your kitty been checked for a urinary track infection? that is easily remedied with a course of antibiotics.
    how old is he?
    is he neutered?

well, let's start with that ok.

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

agree.

tell us what insulin? how much? and if you are hometesting? and if kitty has been checked for urinary tract infections as those are common in diabetics?

also, the worst part about a cat peeing on a couch is it is extremely difficult to get rid of the smell and as long as kitty can smell pee, they will continue to pee there.

clean clean clean the couch and then for a while, cover it tremendously with a layer of plastic and then some towels or blankets

4. lindac077

lindac077 New Member

SHE GETS VETSULIN.SHE HAS BEEN SPRAYED. I OPENED NEW BOTTLE OF VESTSULIN TONITE. GOING TO SEE IF IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. NO I DON'T TEST HER.WAS NEVER GIVEN THE SUPPLIES TO DO IT. SHE IS 4 YRS OLD WADS DIAGNOST ABOUT A YEAR .I HAVE MISSED A FEW OF HER SHOTS. COULD THAT BE MY FAULT BECAUSE I HAVE NOT BEEN FAITHFUL? I DO LOVE HER AND WANT TO DO RIGHT BY HER.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Honey you simply MUST test her. there is no option. shooting blind is like driving with a bag over your head.
    i am newbie kit's person.
    see below my link.
    it's free.
    i have to go but promise to send you a link to teach you testing. it's a great link. then we will have much mor info to work off of. i'm devastated to know you've been shooting for a year without testing each day. at the vet, not you. you did'nt know.
    order a kit now ok. when you hit the link go to the web store.

6. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

if her glucose numbers are really out of whack, it can cause them to urinate inappropriately. for instance, one of the problems we had with Mousie prior to diagnosis was peeing on my fiance's work uniforms on the bathroom floor and occasionally on the kitchen counter. don't ask me why she chose those places but she did :shock:

testing will definitely give you a better idea as to if uncontrolled diabetes is causing this. but like was mentioned, urinary infections can cause them to do this too or if they don't think the box is clean enough, etc...

do you know vetsulin was pulled from the market? there were some bad batches causing inconsistencies. you may want to talk to your vet about that and look into other insulin choices. it's also a shorter acting insulin so you don't get full day coverage from it very easily, which can cause poor diabetes control.

7. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

For getting the smell out of the couch quickly, I've had great luck with ZeroOdor. My experience has been that it really does neutralize the odor within seconds (neutralize, not cover up with another scent). If the pee has really soaked in, a repeat application might be needed, though one usually does it.

Do you have a Bed, Bath, and Beyond nearby? Those stores may have ZeroOdor (for something like $12.95 for a 16 oz. spray bottle). Otherwise, it's an online order (which comes very fast, but still, a local store is faster). I don't think any other stores carry it; things may have changed recently, though.

http://www.zeroodor.com/

Getting the smell out is really essential, to break the pattern of peeing in the same spot.

8. Anyname

Anyname Member

Cover the couch with plastic or lots old towels or blankets to protect kitty from the smell and to protect the couch from kitty. Cover anything you don't want her to pee on. My cat was peeing everywhere when he was first diagnosed. He pee'd lotsa times on the bathmats in our bathroom and the smell was pretty bad as the urine is quite strong when they're numbers are high (maybe your kitty has ketones in his urine?). LB also pee'd on a large hand made oriental rug several times and he pee'd all over the laundry floor. I put a second litter dirt box upstairs next to our bedroom and waited for him to improve.

Is she drinking excessively still?

9. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Dr. Lisa's web site has info on common reasons why a cat will stop using the litter box: http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox But it's likely just because your cat's diabetes is not regulated. Try to keep the cat in one easy to clean room with the litter box and food and stuff. Keep the litter box really, really clean. Use clumping litter if you are not already doing so. You may also want to use a product such as this one with the litter: http://www.preciouscat.com/precious-ult ... t-p-9.html

Vetsulin has been recalled because of bad batches. Talk to your vet about using a different insulin. The preferred ones to use for cats are ProZinc, Lantus (glargine), and Levemir (detemir).

It probably won't.

Blindly giving insulin can be dangerous. Without knowing the blood gluocse level, you don't know if it's safe or not to give insuin. Say your cat has a blood glucose level of 78 mg/dl which is a perfectly normal healthy blood glucose level. You blindly give X amount of the insulin. All that insulin will drop that 78 down very low which results in your cat becoming hypoglycemic. Hypoglycemia is serious can can be fatal if left untreated.

Your vet does not need to give you the supplie to test blood glucose levels. Many vets don't even tell their clients about homtesting. You can go to any Human pharmacy and buy a Human diabetic blood glucose meter: AccuChek, FreeStyle, ReliOn, OneTouch, etc. Buy an extra bottle of matching test strips while you are at the pharmacy. A starter kit only contains 10 test strips, if any.

4 is very young to have diabetes. How was the diabetes diagnosed? Was your cat showing any diabetic symtpoms at the time? Excessive peeing, drinking a ton of water, eating a ton of food but losing weight? Did your vet simply take an in-office blood glucose reading and declared your cat diabetic? Many cats get so stressed out at the vet's office that a blood glucose test will be artifically high and iaccurate. Was your cat on steroids for a health condition? Steroid use can induce diabetes.

Then listen to the advice of this board :smile: We only want to help you and your diabetic cat. Sometimes a vet just doesn't know much about treating diabetes and his/her advice can be inaccurate or even bad. Is taking your cat to a new vet an option? If you list your general area someone here may be able to suggest a good vet.

10. lindac077

lindac077 New Member

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!! OK I HAVE ORDERED A METER NOW NEED TO GET INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO USE. YES SHE STILL DRINKS LIKE CRAZY,ACTS LIKE SHE IS STARVING TO DEATH . WHEN SHE WAS FIRST DIA SHE ONLY WEIGHT 9LB. SHE PROBABLY DOESN'T WEIGH MUCH MORE NOW.SHE SEEMS HEALTHY. SHE PLAYS AND STILL ARGUES W/THE DOG!!!!I WILL KEEP CHECKING BACK. AGAIN THANKS SO MUCH!!!!LINDA

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Linda,

Do us a favor and don't use all caps, okay? It seems like you are shouting!

So glad you are willing to try hometesting. It will make such a difference. If you read some of the other posts on this page, you can see that some kitties were really getting too much insulin and when the dose went down, the kitty got much better. Not sure if that is what is happening with you, but hometesting will give you the data to figure it out. Here is a good beginning site for testing: http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/harry/bgtest.htm and a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8 If you are eager to get started, you can get the ReliOn meter from Walmart for $9 or so. You will also need strips and lancets. We will be happy to walk you through the process and give you all the tips that worked for us.

Here is information on the recall on Vetsulin: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/new ... 188752.htm

Keep asking questions. We want to help you and your kitty.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Linda, i know why your CAPPING, it's becuase your freaking out huh?
    now that you've found us you can breath, we ARE going to help you.
    your newbie kit would be on it's way right now but darn the holiday weekend it won't leave until early tues. but you will be getting an extra batch of strips for having to wait.
    50! may not sound like alot but don't usually send out so many. use them. they have an expy in october...so test away. we will find out a LOT about your kitty by the testing.

before it gets to you lets address the couch. hubby very upset of course.
    it will be corrected, couch will be de-smelled.
    let's see, i'm going to try to get a smart person to get your spread sheet all ready before your test stuff comes....
    and i'm looking for my favorite testing u tube. mark and buddy. i will link you up k?
    Lori

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207

and this would be good to set up before hand so once you start testing we can follow your progress and help with adjustments.

15. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Lori beat me to linking the ss info for you. Way to go Lori,

You're in good hands here.

Welcome to the club.

16. lindac077

lindac077 New Member

Hi,,OK i have received my meter.You talk about a spread sheet.Explain to me how to do.I have not tried to test yet. I want to do it right. Been watching the video so i will do it right, Thanks for all your help!!!! LINDA

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

before you worry about the spread sheet let's get some #'s up and running.
    give them to us this way in the mean time.

AMPS 370 1U----------------this means your first test in the morning, empty stomach, am=morning ps=pre-shot # then you shot 1U

any test you do after that you will mark with a + # since that shot. for example +4 means 4 hours since your shot.

amps 370 1U
    +4 190
    pmps 290 1U -----------this is the same as the morning shot but now 12 hours later evening shot.

18. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. The peeps here will help you a lot. There's a lot to take in all at once, but take it one step at a time. Once you start to get the FD under control she will be drinking and therefore peeing less.

You've gotten a lot of good advice on the peeing, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. Tess has accidents when she sleeps sometimes. She doesn't have a problem with going to the box when she is awake, just occasionally when she is really really zonked out. Is this what's happening or is it full scale potty time? I've had her checked and there was never a UTI. Nor was she very high or low, just really relaxed and didn't wake up to go to the box. I've learned to notice when she is "too" comfy and give her a few pets. She wakes up and if she has to go, she heads to the box.

If you want to let her on the couch, covers work well once you have things cleaned up. You've already got good recommendations on that. The plastic can be slippery and noisy. I get waterproof crib sheets to put under the towels or blankets I use to cover the couch. Towels are great because they are easily washed. Add a cup of white vinegar to the wash to get rid of the smell. It really works.

Another option is puppy training pads. You can put them on top of the problem area when you won't be using the couch, but she is. They even have tape on the back to keep them in place. Take them away when you and hubby want want to sit there. They are cheap and disposable.

One last thing you can do to keep things neat is to get some bedskirt pins. The are like a corkscrew pushpins you twist in to hold the covers in place.

I hope some of this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.