Urination - how many times is normal?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by gamosa, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gamosa

gamosa New Member

I recently posted a topic about taking my diabetic off his oral med - Glyburide - as I had read many reports that it could damage his pancreas...and I just had a gut feeling it was time for him to come off it. It's been 2 days with no meds, and he's doing great - no side effects, no issues.

Before my cat was diagnosed I never really paid attention to how many times he urinated in a day. The reason we took him to the vet, and how we found out he was diabetic was the fact that he was urinating just outside his box all the time. Ever since his diagnosis (2007), he typically urinates about 4-5 times a day. I consider that normal for him, since that's how it's been for so many years now. (Yes, he's on an all wet diet)

Just wondering if there's a norm, for a diabetic or non-diabetic. I've read the article on the site about urination and given his body weight he should be taking in about 1 1/4 c of water a day and letting out about 1 cup. It's hard to know the exact amount he's letting out because of course the litter absorbs the liquid, so who really knows?

I'm sure everyone has their own story to tell but I'd really like to hear primarily from anyone whose cat is no longer on insulin or meds, and how the cat is doing with his/her litter box.

2. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

I think this is a question that's hard to answer. It depends on a lot of factors. For example, how much water is added to the food? If there are multiple cats, does the cat tend to go for the soupiness or not? Does the cat like to hold it or pee frequently? Sometimes they will try to hold it as long as possible if they are feeling stressed or vulnerable in the box. In situations like mine (fenced yard), are the cats spending more or less time inside?

If you use clumping litter, it makes it easy to see if there is a change in the number and size of pee clumps over time.

I add a good amount of water to the food and there is really a lot of variance between my cats in how much and how often they go. I see lots of little clumps, a lot of medium clumps, a few larger clumps. In fact I kinda had a scary moment this morning when Zollidoot peed while I was cleaning and refilling the boxes. I scooped up her clump and it was medium-large! I was like, "omg why is her pee so big? I gotta test her sugar! Or what if it's her kidneys? Nooo! What if it's --- wait a minute, dummy, it's going to be so hot today and you put extra water in the food. Doh."

laur

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.