Urine pH/Diet question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by arozeboom, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

I have a question on our civvie girl, Midgie.

We just got some blood & urine tests back and her urine shows an elevated pH level, at 7.5 (the USG is 1.040). Unfortunately, I don't have a test of hers to compare it to and I don't know what "normal" is.

She's been eating the Friskies Special Diet food for about 3 months now (because that's what Ruby will eat and it's the compromise we've settled on to meet the levels of carbs & phosphorus she needs to keep her OTJ). If this food was going to improve her pH level, how long would it take for that to happen? And are diets for CRF and urinary issues generally the same?

Is possible that the vet would want to go with a prescription urinary diet (which I'm not thrilled with). These girls don't like to have their food changed, which its done a lot in the past year.

Thanks!
    Amy

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

From the Merck Veterinary Manual:

So yes, it appears a bit high, which means it is more alkaline (aka 'basic'). dl-methionine is an amino acid. A higher protein content in the diet may help with this, too, as a by-product of protein breakdown is ammonia.
    For pH, below 7 is acidic, 7 is neutral, above 7 is basic.

From Vet Info
    Note: they actually mean raising pH, not acidity.

3. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

Thank you!

I don't know if its relevant or not, but she was a bit dehydrated at the time they did the tests. She got a dose of SubQ fluids after. The poor little bug had had a night of tummy trouble and I took her straight in because I was worried about her being dehydrated. She weighs less than 6 lbs.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Blood and urine measurements do depend on how concentrated (dehydrated OR filled with stuff) the sample is. the body has a mechanism to re-absorb water when dehydrated (humans and most, if not all, animals)

Adding more fluids may bring it down some, with time. Using distilled water added to food or for drinking may help, as it has no solute to be filter and thus may carry more solute into the kidneys for filtering.

5. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

I pay zero attention to urine pH but even if one were to place much emphasis on urine ph, one reading is relatively meaningless.

Please review this subject on my Urinary Tract Health page.

My cats often register a 7.5 and I couldn't care less. Sadly, far too much emphasis is placed on pH without reason and then cats are put on extremely unhealthy so-called "prescription" diets.

6. Shelly/Boots

Shelly/Boots Member

Hello,
    My cat was on the prescription urinary diet. and I believe that is what gave her the diabetes. To give a rough
    idea on the carb. count, I used the food later for when Boots was hypo. It had 18 carbs. It solved
    one problem while creating the other. Not sure what you would do instead. Maybe going raw with a premix
    for urine/kidney issues.

7. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Whatever issues these diets *may* address, they certainly do 'rob Peter to pay Paul'...that is IF Paul even gets paid.

The dry forms of these diets certainly do not 'pay' anybody and are extremely counter-intuitive to use for any urinary tract issue given that water is the most important issue when addressing UT health.

8. Shelly/Boots

Shelly/Boots Member

It was wet food and one of the meats in it was pork.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.