? Urine Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TheBowHuntress, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

When I changed Gobby's litterbox this AM, I noticed that although there were a few moderately clumps of pee, the pee was not stuck to the bottom of the litter box like cement. That's good, right?

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I think thats very good. dancing_cat

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

From my signature link about Secondary Monitoring tools :smile:

Urine output
    Roughly measure the amount of wet litter produce each day and it’s characteristics
    - have you got oceans, lakes, ponds, or cups?
    oceans = uncontrolled or possible some other problem such as renal disease or hyperthyroidism
    cups = better controlled or lack of water intake

4. TheBowHuntress

BJM--can you take a look at his SS and note the following "from Secondary Monitoring Tools"???

Purring - is the cat exhibiting customary signs of contentment or happiness? He's acting content but was never a purr-er

Playing - will the cat play and interact with others? Yes, he played this AM then went on the sun porch to watch birds for at least an hour

Preening - is the cat maintaining its fur and cleanliness? Yes, although he was never a big groomer--we have a cat (civvie Nigel) that grooms all the other cats

Peeing - occurs, and is a normal volume? Not a normal volume, though usually less than it has been in the past excepting the other day--massive--but today, moderate

Poohing - fecal material is formed and passable? Yes

Urine Testing - Ketones Negative today and always have been since I started testing a few months ago

Water Consumption - Has slowed in the past few weeks; nothing I would call "excessive" as it was from before dx.

Food Consumption - He picks and grazes. I started noticing this a few weeks ago. However, this afternoon (an hour before his high +6) he ate 2/3 can of FF Tender Beef.

Weight - holding at 12 pounds the past few weeks (at dx, 11/17/12, he weighed 11.2 pounds)

Summary: In the past few weeks, my husband and I have noticed that he is drinking less water, grazing and actually being social and playing. He has been his bratty self on occasion (sitting on table, console, counter, endtable). His pee is slowly getting moderate though excessive once in a while. Although when numbers are (usually) are over 400, you can tell he doesn't feel well and he lays around & sleeps.

5. Kat,
    Every one of those "outward signs" look like very encouraging news! Excellent" whole cat report" :)

Carl

6. TheBowHuntress

Thank you Carl~you're always there for us newbies!!! He is so up to his shenanigans today, but when I look at his SS, I am baffled. The +6's being higher than the PS the past few days just don't make sense based on his demeanor. I did increase his dose today (from 1.5 to 1.75 U.)....

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It looks like he is making progress when using the secondary monitoring indicators.

What are the folks in Lantus land telling you about the numbers? Do they think he is bouncing, needs an increase, needs a decrease, is showing new dose wonkiness, or needs a different insulin?

Generally, you want a consistent Lantus dose for 3 days in a relatively new diabetic, you get a nadir or do a curve after those 3 days, and then you make a dose decision. You're mostly doing that with the exception of delaying the shots some times with a low pretest.

What is the no shot limit you are using now? Maybe note in your spreadsheet what that is. I think you could drop it down to 180 this week; see what the Lantus users think.

Are you following the stall without feeding & retest method to determine if you shoot? It is described in the main Lantus forum.

Are you consistent in the carb level you are feeding? Some cats can be very sensitive to carb levels where even a 1% change may alter the glucose.

Does Gobbles have any other problems, such as furballs, lack of appetitie, etc? If food intake goes down, so should glucose levels.

8. TheBowHuntress

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.