Urine tested Simba and Gustav today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann & Scatcats, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

I used 3 different urine stixs: Keto-Diastix, Keto-Diabur and Multistix. And here is the results:

Simba Keto Diastix
    u-ketones negativ
    u-glucose 111, 2 %

Simba Keto Diabur
    u-ketones negative
    u-glucose 278, 5 %

Simba Multistix
    u-ketones negative
    u-glukos 2000>, 2 >
    pH 6.0
    Spec Grav 1.015
    Blood negative
    urobilinogen negative
    bilirubin negative
    protein trace
    leucocytes moderate ++
    nitrite negative

Gustav Multistix
    u-ketones negative
    u-glukos negative
    pH 6.0
    Spec Grav 1.015
    Blood large +++
    urobilinogen negative
    bilirubin small +
    protein 100 ++
    leucocytes moderate ++
    nitrite negative

Conclusion: Simba is in pretty good shape besides having too high blood sugar. Gustav however isn't in so good shape with small bilirubin, 100 ++ protein and large +++ blood. He had blood in the sterile needle urine sample test at the vets too, 2+. So something inside him is bleeding which might also explain why he was at the edge of being anemic in the blood tests.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

For cats, the leucocytes is %99+ false positive so it is worthless.
    The specific gravity is also really inaccurate and not worth it.

3. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Hi Ann -

Glad to see a report on the kids! Until 2 months ago, I have to admit, I never paid any attention to those kinds of numbers before, and I still don't know nearly enough to understand all the results. I'm glad to hear Simba is doing better; sorry Gustav didn't get the same kind of results. I expect whatever is causing the blood in the urine could be very painful for him Is he taking any meds? I want to say my (GA) Elsie, who lived to be 18, was on Batril most of her later years. From time to time, I'd see blood in her urine (she prefered a litter-less box!). It certainly made it easier to catch! I wish I could suggest something to make him feel better. Hoping your vet can find the "magic potion" for him!

Lu-Ann

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If the vet thinks it might be interstitial cystitis causing the blood - ie, no infection, just inflammation, some folks have given glucosamine to help reduce some of the inflammation.

5. Ann & Scatcats

At the vets urine analysis pH was also 6.0, as the Multistix 6.0, and specific gravity was 1.020 and the Multistix 1.015. So pretty close.

Why is it that specific gravity for cats are inaccurate?

6. Ann & Scatcats

Actually the vet didn't think one thing about the 2+ blood in their vet urine analysis sample. He said nothing were it could come from nor any treatment. I was also unsure since they can actually puncture a blood vessel when goĆ­ng through the bladder with that long thick needle, so therefore I wanted to test and see what I got in result. So the vet got bllod in the urine 2+ and I got blood in the urine large +++.

What is cystitis?

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

When I was at school many years ago we did many many urine analyses and rarely did the dipstick USG come close to the USG measured by the refractometer.

8. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Inflammation of the bladder lining. My Minou has had it twice. When she has it, she dribbles bloody urine and strains in the box. It makes them feel like they have to go even when their bladder is empty. Some vets give antibiotics and some don't. If crystals are present, they may recommend a food to dissolve them. It usually clears up on its own in a week or so.

9. Ann & Scatcats

Thank you, Karen! I will have the vet look into this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.