Used Syringes - Disposal Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I am keeping them in a Gladware container, but nearly a month later - my container is getting full. Where can I dispose these? My Vets? I have not called them to ask, but just curious as to what I do with the used syringes.

2. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Nicole I don't know how that works where you are, I think every location has different procedures. I kept mine as well in a hard plastic container, then I simply disposed of it with the normal trash. Some places have special centers where you can drop it off. I would simply ask your vet, or call your local city/town office and ask. Any Doctor's office or patient counseling center (especially ones that deal with diabetics or other injectable medications) should be able to tell you.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Contact the city/county where you live. Their website will probably tell you how to dispose of them. Where I live all I have to do is put them in a leakproof, unbreakable contained (e.g., laundry detergent bottle) and tape it shut and put them in the regular trash. My place incinerated the trash in cogeneration plant.

4. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

You can also get these little, as I call them, needle snippers

[​IMG]

from Hocks.com. They are inexpensive and hold a lot of needles. They snip the needle off the syringe and I dispose of the syringes with my trash/recycling.

5. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

6. bartinmi

bartinmi New Member

I store mine in a washed one gallon milk jug. I replace the needle cap before storing. When it is full i just drop it off at my Vet's office.

7. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

Same here - per my vet's request. (Just took them 5 gallons of used syringes!)

8. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I clip off the needles and then put them in an empty laundry detergent jug. When it's full, I put it out in the trash. You could also check with your vet or local pharmacy. They may offer syringe disposal for no charge.

9. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

You can buy quart-sized Sharps containers from any pharmacy. They're usually located in the regular aisle alongside diabetic supplies. Ask the pharmacist if you don't see any. Also ask how to dispose of the filled container. Every city and state has different regulations on how medical waste can be disposed. This link has info: http://www.safeneedledisposal.org/

Sometimes the vet will let you bring the filled container back, either for free or for a small charge.

10. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

I did this at first, but my vet was transferring my used syringes to his containers and it was too difficult starting with my sharps container. He prefers the gallon milk jug. (Just an FYI)

11. thepeach80

thepeach80 Member

We have the UtiCare? pet syringes that came w/ the sharps container. Next time we'll just get normal syringes and a 2.99 sharps container from Wal-Mart and then take them to the vet when we're done.

12. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Do yourself a big favor and get a needle clipper. They're inexpensive and can hold several years worth of needle tips.

13. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

It's mandated by law here. Sharps containers are free at all pharmacies, and you just bring 'em back when they are full.

14. Kathy

Kathy Member

I have a sharps container and will bring it into my work(retirement home) when it is full.

15. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

One of the things us Canadians are good at. The pharmacies give sharps containers for free. I bring them back closed up and they give me a new one. You should ask where you live. It is great and since there are kids in the house here, no worries and they are disposed of properly.

16. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Despite whether or not your state or area has laws about how to dispose of needles, the best policy is to always dispose of them in a "sharps" container. Once the sharps container is full, they should be taken to an approved drop off location or send back in the mail of they are the mail back type. The clippers do not really take care of the problem [more feel good than do good] - the thing clippers help with is addicts who might be going through your trash not being able to re-use the syringe [which is a small chance scenario anyway].

In CA [I know you're not in CA] the law stipulate one is not to even transport used syringes/needles without them being in a sharps container!

I like the 2 gallon Kendall one. It is available from Hocks for $7:
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... HARP2.html
    Or $4 from shopmedvet.com
    http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/2112/vials-containers
    For one cat with DM @ two shots/day, it fills up in about 6 months or so. The fill line on Sharps containers is very much below the rim. So you want to get a larger one since they fill up quickly.

You local department of health should be able to provide you more info [like drop off locations]. I've found that my local pharmacies have no clue. Also our local DoH gives out free sharps containers but they are small.

Here is a topic from the old board about needle disposal:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 15,1481737

BTW, used needles & syringes should definitely NOT go in the recycling.

17. Jeanne and Scratchy (GA)

Jeanne and Scratchy (GA) Member

You also might want to check with your city's health department. Our health department offers free sharps containers. Once it is full you just bring it back to get a new one. Before they offered this, I'd just buy a container at my local pharmacy, and the pharmacy would take the full one off my hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.